Go to page:

the concept of ownership- do you truly own anything?

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5266

just a question asking self more than anyone else- do we really own anything? apart from our names perhaps...
the concept of ownership, in the physical sense what do you think? the things we "own" physically, are they truly ours? forever? weren't they someone else's before us in the same form or some other form?
asking the above questions as well as the following hoping to discover in a discussion (NOT debate) and enhance my perspective on the concept of ownership, and what are the things(both physical and abstract) that we truly own.

All feedback/ideas perspectives appreciated in advance.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Interesting question posed , Cold Fusion ;

Shall we begin , as we are poets on a site dealing with word ;

Have any of us broken copyright by using any words contained in a dictionary ,

that is copyrighted ?

Could we be under the threat of legal reprimand for that ?

Can anyone gather all the words in every language in the

world , used today , or outdated , and copyright all of them ?

Thus , could language be controlled by any who had the

money and power to do so , at the most basic level ?

Think of that taken to it's extreme :

The lawyers arguing the case , could be held accountable

for breaking the law , due to using words , or the judge ,

when the decision was issued ;

Even here with your question , that very paragraph , in

which you pose the question , would be a copyright

violation...

Just a thought...;)

SURVIVOR
Fire of Insight
United States 7awards
Joined 11th July 2015
Forum Posts: 130

Thoughts, trait of honesty and actions, in my personal opinion, are the only wealth or poverty we can claim. I too am quite curious. Thanx for the mind provoke C_F.
me

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

Now , see , Survivor , my friend , what if ;

( Devil's Advocate Here )

What if some goddess or god came along , and showed how they had

the blueprints to creation , and consciousness , could we then claim

ownership to thoughts ?

Would not they , and all else be copyrighted , and patented by that deity , or deities ?

What if they claimed ownership to free will ?

SURVIVOR
Fire of Insight
United States 7awards
Joined 11th July 2015

No worries, i'd not only sue i'd win, my case or argument, all have either evil or good thoughts it's  the art of a rebel, going against or in agreement of such as far as trait of truth, my good sir, simply a fact that Brooks no argument , I'd say CHECKMATE, now gimme me my crown, I've been kinged, besides you can't win every debate by pretending to be a lawyer, I then could sue as well for fraud or rather impersonation of one hmmm
me⚖️c

p.s. now what ya got😇?

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Blackwolf said:Interesting question posed , Cold Fusion ;

Shall we begin , as we are poets on a site dealing with word ;

Have any of us broken copyright by using any words contained in a dictionary ,

that is copyrighted ?

Could we be under the threat of legal reprimand for that ?

Can anyone gather all the words in every language in the

world , used today , or outdated , and copyright all of them ?

Thus , could language be controlled by any who had the

money and power to do so , at the most basic level ?

Think of that taken to it's extreme :

The lawyers arguing the case , could be held accountable

for breaking the law , due to using words , or the judge ,

when the decision was issued ;

Even here with your question , that very paragraph , in

which you pose the question , would be a copyright

violation...

Just a thought...;)

welcome dear BW...
some food for thought there...and your thought though hypothetical, does provoke more thoughts. But in any case, the copyright laws, just like any other laws do have their loopsholes. ANd that is not the point here so i won't take myself there, but the fact is they're sometimes abused as well, just like any other well intentioned laws.
This is a very interesting aspect of ownership, the ownership of intellectual property. that prompted me to think about the following:

the primary aim of the thread is to discuss with peers the aspect of physical ownership of ..well lets say things, and that would mean excluding the ownership of pure consumables, i.e. more about non-perishable property like wealth which whether you like it or not is but a mere posession in your posession and will be taken away from you at some point in time.
Your thoughts have prompted questions about the right to intellectual property after our passing- who would own those right after us? does the estate truly deserves to benefit from it? and that propmts another question of its own...will that be a right thing for the progeny, will it make them not appreciate the things they'd be taking for granted and not having a goal in life to focus on i.e. survival?

Coming back... let's say we try and answer the basic question of the thread first, do we truly own something or anything? if yes what? if no then why?

welcome your presence dear Friend!! and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

SURVIVOR said:No worries, i'd not only sue i'd win, my case or argument, all have either evil or good thoughts it's  the art of a rebel, going against or in agreement of such as far as trait of truth, my good sir, simply a fact that Brooks no argument , I'd say CHECKMATE, now gimme me my crown, I've been kinged, besides you can't win every debate by pretending to be a lawyer, I then could sue as well for fraud or rather impersonation of one hmmm
me⚖️c

p.s. now what ya got😇?

hahah!!

good on ya!! Survivor!! hear the applause!

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

SURVIVOR said:Thoughts, trait of honesty and actions, in my personal opinion, are the only wealth or poverty we can claim. I too am quite curious. Thanx for the mind provoke C_F.
me

and i respect that mindset/opinion my friend!! well, even them awesome traits, that truly are some wealth to be desired and wealth they are for they help keep your life at ease no matter what, at ease, here i meant, the peace of and at heart, i.e. if you're honest in whatever you do you're at peace no matter the result, for you know you did your best and what you felt and saw as the right thing to do. The results..well not necessarily have to go our way. Coming back to your point, yes, that is a wealth, but most of the times it is gone when we're gone, for it is not so common these days for that kind of wealth being passed on successfully. There's a saying where i grew up, no surprises at a devil being born to a saint.

Thank you once again dear Friend!! for your invaluable contribution to the discussion.

SURVIVOR
Fire of Insight
United States 7awards
Joined 11th July 2015

Good gawd almighty I got me a serious case of the boogody boos, good thing no eye of lens peek peek peekin thru pics blankness of eye heh heh heh. If ever never need of a good name again a good one would be
Rebel_Rouser ya think?

All in good fun yet still serious enough for having a lively discussion among thoughtful poets of prose. Good topic C_F. Between Blackwolf scheming take back of my precious crown, all to demote me down to Joker, no good at it besides it's a sucky job,   your thunderous cheer of applause while my fist raised high in a rebel yell, so far your thought provoking topic, hopefully all involved know we're just cutting the tension, my thoughts are indeed a state of mindsets fact. Are my thoughts valid or did I ramble off subject? Loving the topic with all seriousness,
me

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

No scheming here...

However if you claim some crown , someone is going to scheme

to take it away , and by the same token , as Cold Fusion mentions ,

attendant wealth that could / would be attached to such title ;

So , I myself would much rather be the wolf / coyote / protector

and joker / punster , poking holes in the reality tunnels of any

who claim such positions ;

Pulling the rug out from others is one of my greatest joys ;

Cold Fusion , I will get back to you on my later morrow...

Have not slept yet , and it is 5 : 30 am here...need some sleep...

I am trying to write 3 more poems by midnite , and post them ,

and I shall have reached my personal goal...

To post 99 poems in one month with at least 78 of them being brand new...;)

Talk later today , or by my Sunday...best to both of you !

SURVIVOR
Fire of Insight
United States 7awards
Joined 11th July 2015

Please don't be pulling out any rugs I so hate falling. Hands raised skyward I give I give, you my dearest friend have the most funniest fun there is to read I'll take my final leave. Blackwolf, C_F much love to you both and deep deep Respect to my two favorite poets both of you enjoy your daye

Billy_Snagg
Rist Jizzmann
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 37awards
Joined 14th Apr 2018
Forum Posts: 235

We at least OWN ourselves I think unless we are being held against our will or mentally suppressed by a dominant other. We never truly own anything outside of us I believe. Everything gets taken back. Take home ownership for example, yeah great if you can pass the property down to someone but if you can't, the state takes it back. When we die, everything we own dies with us. Abstractly, can we own love? Either way, our life is ultimately for rent as singer Dido once said.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Billy_Snagg said:We at least OWN ourselves I think unless we are being held against our will or mentally suppressed by a dominant other. We never truly own anything outside of us I believe. Everything gets taken back. Take home ownership for example, yeah great if you can pass the property down to someone but if you can't, the state takes it back. When we die, everything we own dies with us. Abstractly, can we own love? Either way, our life is ultimately for rent as singer Dido once said.
some words of wisdom brother.... i thank you for that!

indeed some great food for thought!! and didn't hear about  Dido's quote before but hell yeah...something to ponder upon.

Thank you once again for your thoughts and contruibution brother... i'll have to think hard now and explore the point you mentioned..i.e. the question you posed about love..and its ownership!!

Billy_Snagg
Rist Jizzmann
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 37awards
Joined 14th Apr 2018
Forum Posts: 235

https://youtu.be/OFtNChII78k

Hope this link opens for you. It's that song 'Life For Rent'

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Billy_Snagg said:https://youtu.be/OFtNChII78k

Hope this link opens for you. It's that song 'Life For Rent'

yes!!
feel like a tool now!! how did i forget that!! Thank You!! it's playing in the other tab now!! true... the song...

Go to page:
Go to: