Go to page:

A heartfelt apology to all the members of DU.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

Now that T_V_Walker’s Historic ridicule, pun and games competition has ended, I want to apologize for my entry Million Gun March, in which I satirize Ted Nugent and the NRA.  I posted the poem on February 14th, at 6:23 am. (This time is noted on the entry.)  I never would have done so had I known that only a few hours later, just past 2:00 pm the same day, the worst mass school shootings in American history  would take place.

I considered deleting my entry, but on the advice of friends I kept it posted.  As one friend pointed out, Freud said there was no such thing as a coincidence, and maybe some sort of predetermined fate willed it to remind us how callous we’ve become to gun violence in our nation.  She also stressed there was no way I could have determined the future.  

Despite her sincerity, her latter opinion was wrong.  I did know there would be another mass shooting, but I never in my wildest dreams thought it would happen only hours after I posted my poem.  I just want everyone at DU to realize the time-line of my entry as to not think me so incentive that I would try to capitalize on the death of children, on the very day they were murdered.  If it appears that way, please accept my apology.

Yet, realize, I believe we as poets have the power to change the world.  As artists we need to confront the world’s injustices, not avoid them.  As poets, let us answer those with clenched fists of hate, with open arms of love.  Remember, one poet, with one pen, can make a profound difference.

Again, I apologize to anyone offended by my entry and thank you for allowing to clarify the time-line of my posting.  It has been weighing heavily on my mind ever since.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

Thank you beautiful, your kind words are comforting.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16194

Hi Snugglebuck...I am sad to hear about the mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, if that's the one you meant. It seems  the US of A has a lot of such happenings. I read that there have been 1,624 shootings in 1,870 days. So I am sure your poem or the audio you posted was not intended to offend, and that its purely coincidental.  
One should write on; speak what is in one's mind, and not be curbed by circumstances. Society can be harsh and judgmental but if we cower from criticism and hate, or hide from the angry mass, then we have lost before we unsheathe our swords.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

Thank you so much for the kind words, sweet Grace.

poet Anonymous

There’s no way you could have possibly known! If anything, this just shows how everything is interconnected sometimes, even when it’s something as tragic as the Florida shooting.

Rest easy tonight. You were only writing. It’s what poets do. 👍🏻

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

You're just doing your job as a poet ... as others have said, "No apologies needed."

Sad, is the fact that in the wake of Sandy Hook and Parkland, more guns will be sold.  if you get a chance Snugglebuck, check out HBO's Vice News.  There's a segment on why gun sales rise in the US after such  tragedies occur.

Peace

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

Not sure you should be apologising for anything if your poem on the theme of guns was done/uploaded just before an impulsive mass shooting. If anything the poem becomes more relevant after the tragedy, and it is mere coincidence and providence rather than jumping on the bandwagon that makes it connected.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

careful my man,
publicly disclosing psychic powers will draw the attention of the kind folks at
area 51.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16194

rabbitquest said:careful my man,
publicly disclosing psychic powers will draw the attention of the kind folks at
area 51.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

Oh dear!  Don't let Alex Jones know, I might be included in one of his conspiracy theories.  

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

Oh dear!  Don't let Alex Jones know, I might be included in one of his conspiracy theories.  

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

Viddax said:Not sure you should be apologising for anything if your poem on the theme of guns was done/uploaded just before an impulsive mass shooting. If anything the poem becomes more relevant after the tragedy, and it is mere coincidence and providence rather than jumping on the bandwagon that makes it connected.

Thank you Lord Viddax.  It's just that I didn't want anyone to misinterpret  my submission as an attempt to capitalize on this terrible tragedy.  I love writing satire that challenges convention, as I did in the Feline competition.  But many times people don't recognize may attempts at satire and interpret it literally.

I certainly didn't want that to happen considering horrible massacre of children.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

LobodeSanPedro said:You're just doing your job as a poet ... as others have said, "No apologies needed."

Sad, is the fact that in the wake of Sandy Hook and Parkland, more guns will be sold.  if you get a chance Snugglebuck, check out HBO's Vice News.  There's a segment on why gun sales rise in the US after such  tragedies occur.

Peace

I certainly will watch it.  

Thanks Lobo!

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

Miss_Sub said:There’s no way you could have possibly known! If anything, this just shows how everything is interconnected sometimes, even when it’s something as tragic as the Florida shooting.

Rest easy tonight. You were only writing. It’s what poets do. 👍🏻

Thank you Miss_Sub for your comfort and support.  

Fizzle
Ammiture
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 5th Sep 2016
Forum Posts: 99

*insensitive

Go to page:
Go to: