Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16178

Poetry Contest

A strange occurrence, supernatural encounter ...story
I have coined the title of Ray Bradbury's book, Something Wicked this Way comes. One of my fav author, after Stephen King, Dean R Koontz and Peter Straub.
Just pretend you are writing a compilation of short stories on the odd and extraordinary....something odd, uncanny or supernatural. It can be an actual experience, a friend's or just fiction.
Prose, of less than 1500 words.  Title your write. Thank You

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Letters Unread

15th February 1942

Dear Mother
Singapore fell today.
I wish I could deliver this message to you in a better way. Perhaps I should reword that, but that's the only way I can convey to you the truth of what's occurred here. Be that I could share with you glad tidings instead. After just one week of fighting the 'Gibraltar of the East' just fell to the Japanese. There have been tremendous shelling from above, causing severe damage to our depot. Our command did not predict where the Japs would land and the number of soldiers left are small as compared to our accursed enemy. Our command has just surrendered to the Japanese. Our flag with the white colour of cowardice... I fear they would be incarcerated in PoW camps, hardly the Ritz in my opinion.
To think that I should be with you and the family at this time, no matter how cold it must be at home now. This land of endless sunshine and intermittent strong wind and heavy rain; seen to be a land of adventure and opportunity have turned into a fearful hell. I am furious that I a mere clerk with this merchant company here should be trapped in this fearsome situation.
I am now hiding in this miserable office but I know I will not be safe for long. They are scouring buildings in this side of town to get at any 'white devils' that may yet be holed like rats.
Mother, I also want to inform you and father, that I have been living with a girl here, which may be the actual motivation that kept me here after merchant ships left for safer harbour several months back.
She is a beautiful woman of Chinese and Portuguese descent. She had taken care of me during my bouts with the cursed Malaria. She is caring and tender and I have intentions to make an honest woman out of her. Mother she is also five months pregnant with my baby. I hope I will be around to take care of her until our dying day. I however fear that my dying day may be sooner than later.
I therefore beg of you mother, and my family as a whole to accept her as my wife and companion, and for my child to be part of us. Her name is Myra Hwang.
I will hand this letter to her and I hope she will find someone to hand this to, so that it may reach you.
Send my regards to father and also Percy and Lance, the terrible twins...I wonder if they will enlist soon. Turning 18 as they did.

I remain, as always
Your Son
John J. Smith

1st March 1942

Dear John
Oh my son, my son.
We heard about the fall of Singapore, and we prayed and prayed that we would hear from you. In vain. We heard that the British command there had surrendered to the hated Japanese. We are ashamed that he had done so but we hope that with the surrender lives will be spared, if the enemies show mercy.
Here we wait for any news from our children far flung into the world. I  wish that I had been more firm with you and not allow you to sail off and work for that merchant company. I find them a little dubious and at times I wonder if they are not  slave ships after all. Travelling so far into the East, for spices that I hardly touch.
At this moment, I only want you to be home safe. I pray that you are safe my son and come home soon. Surely clerks are not harmed, they are not soldiers.
Mr Jessup next door is close to being committed to a sanatorium. He has been shouting about conspiracies between good Mr Churchill and that horrible Stalin. His son Albert is at his wits end as to how to deal with his father.
Percy and Lance send their love, as do your father.
I hope you come home soon.

Yours as always
Mother
Gemima L.Smith

>>10th February 1962...It was her wedding day and she had just said her I do's in church. She sat on her bed feeling happy and sad at the same time. This was the happiest day of her life but it was also her mother's tenth death anniversary. This was the day that she would open a gift from her mother; her mother had told her to open it during an important day of her life, when she was dying. She thought her wedding was a very important day and decided to open her gift. What she found were old photographs of her mother and a thin tall Caucasian man, a few letters and a diary. She sat down on her bed and began to read.
An hour later, her new husband walked into the room looking for her and found her sobbing  hard into the pillow. He gathered her into his arms...<<

(WWII-the fall of Singapore)

Written by Grace (IDryad)
Go To Page  

-not an entry-

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

By pinterest.com

Fillenatrix
Twisted Dreamer
Australia 2awards
Joined 21st Feb 2015
Forum Posts: 47

The Smiling Spectre

I've never liked the rain. The things it washes away, and the things it reveals. It was pouring when the man came in. I offered him a seat by the fire, my employer wouldn't have been impressed but he was older and I felt sorry for him.
"Bless you, child," he said, "as payment for your trouble I shall tell you my tale..."

I never enjoyed doing it, but pa would give me a clip around the ears and give his speech about Robin Hood stealing from the rich.
I never tried to argue that Robin Hood and his band of merry men never lured to the rocks. Pa would always rub his hands at storm clouds.
On my 18th year I bet he wasn't expecting to slip and join his deadly trap. The men gave him a toast of fine plundered brandy. Pa's oldest Wreaker partner, Bill, pulled roughly on my shoulder that night.
"I've never met a better lure, it was like he seduced the ships to run ashore. I asked once how he did it. He told me told me he caught a siren once, drawn by his light. Cut her open, took her heart. No brighter light, he said. He was the most experienced of us all, boy. He didn't fall, her sisters took their revenge."
I pulled away, blaming the drink, trying to ignore the fact he hadn't touched any.
"Their not finished yet, they will have you too. Soon enough. Don't believe me? Neither did your pa." He muttered more dark curses as I slipped away from him.
I continued on my pa's legacy until my 21st year, when I found her. I went to strip her body. Rolling her over I saw she held an exotic beauty. Dark hair and coffee cream skin, Spanish if you can believe it. Her eyes fluttered, she was alive! I nursed her back to health and took her as my wife.
She was my way out, I never enjoyed doing it.
Prosperity bloomed and God gifted us a pretty girl, Kate. She soon caught the eye of a wealthy Irish sea captain called Wallace. He took her home to Dublin as his bride.
Years passed but I remember the winter storm was painful that night. I spotted the familiar sight of a ship in trouble. We found a survivor. I carried her home but she died from her wounds, even though I tried my best to treat her.
Temptation overcame us as I checked her personal affects, a purse laden with jewels!
"Why not, husband? We are old now and have no one. She has passed. But think of the good use we can put it to."
I clutched my wife's aged hand in mine, still beautiful to me. Pa's words came back to me, "We are noble, like Robin Hood. We take from the rich and give to the poor."
I succumbed.
Two days later a man from the Admiralty called on us, making inquiries about a missing passenger from the wrecked ship. I claimed to know nothing.
"A shame," he said, "the missing woman's name is Mrs Katherine Wallace. Please contact the authorities if you hear anything."
I felt my heart shatter, we had stolen from Kate! How could I have known, her face made unrecognizable from the impact of the rocks? We walled up her body in a secret room and prepared to leave.
"Husband, what is that light?"
It shone in her eyes...and in mine. I knew it had to be done. We followed and repayed the sirens debt, the dead embracing us with eternal grins.
The rain will reveal our sins.

A crash of thunder so loud it felt it was right next to me drew my slack jawed attention from the old man for a moment. When I looked back he was gone, a puddle in the seat where he once was. I was left alone, shivering, with a dying fire. From now on I think I'll be keeping a closer eye on the weather report when I do the night shift at the pub.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Fillenatrix, thank you for your entry.

poet Anonymous

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

doggerelsheets, thank you for your entry.

Northern1
Fire of Insight
Iceland
Joined 15th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 228

The Super Ball

I wish to share with you something amazing that happened  
to me when I was 5 years old and I still remember clearly.  

It was the summer of 1966 and I was really frustrated.  
I had my heart set on having my own super ball to play  
with. One of those big hard dark blue ones that could  
bounce higher than a tall building. I kept nagging my  
mother to buy one for me, but she steadfastly refused  
on the grounds that I would destroy everything in sight  
with that cursed ball.  

One sunny day after receiving  
yet another no to my request, my mother decided to send  
me to the store for some things she needed.  
I sulked as I walked slowly along the gravel road  
that led to the corner grocery store and had a little  
conversation with God to see if He was more approachable  
on the subject so dear to my heart. I remember promising  
I would be a good boy and take care not to bounce it  
too hard if only He would grant me that super ball.  
I also promised to be more attentive at Sunday School.  

As I walked on, I suddenly saw something dark and round  
sitting on top of a mound of grass some 5 meters from the road.  
As I walked closer to examine the thing, I was thrilled to  
see it was a big dark blue super ball just lying there  
waiting for me to claim it and so I did.  
It was a bit worn, but still in fine condition.  
After holding it in my hand a while and just staring at it,  
I began carefully bouncing it on the gravel road as I walked  
on towards the store.  

On the way back from the store, I became more bold and began  
running and bouncing the ball higher and higher, already  
forgetting my earlier promise. When I reached that part  
of the road where I had found the super ball, it bounced  
off a pebble on the road and I saw it land on top of the  
same mound that I had found it before. I walked to the  
mound to retrieve it, but to my amazement it was gone.  
I combed every centimeter of that blessed mound with  
my fingers and then the surrounding area, but to no avail.  
My beloved super ball had been cruelly snatched from me,  
that much was clear to me and now all I could do was sit  
by the side of the road crying my eyes out.  

I guess I had been sitting there for about 10 minutes when  
a soft voice spoke to me. ''Why do you cry so little friend?''  
I looked up and there was this older gentleman with gray  
hair and mustache, wearing a brown pin stripe suit looking  
down on me with a gentle smile. How he appeared there was  
a mystery to me, for I could from my location see  
and hear anyone coming along the road, long before they  
reached me. I blinked up at him wiping the tears from  
my cheeks and told him my sad story and that I figured  
that God was probably angry with me now.  
The old fellow smiled again. ''If you were to find  
your super ball again, would you then take better care  
of it and keep the promise that you made?''  
I quickly nodded my head and promised I would,  
but that there was no way of that happening, for I had  
searched everywhere and it was gone.  

This time he laughed softly. ''Point for me to the mound  
where you found it and then lost it little friend''  
A little annoyed I pointed to the mound.  
''Well look, is it not sitting right on top of the mound?''  
I looked and could not believe my eyes, for there as clear  
as day sat the big lovely super ball on top of the mound.  
I sprang to my feet and ran to retrieve it, holding it  
again fast in my hand. I turned to thank the old man,  
but now he was gone. I looked up and down the road,  
but he was nowhere to be seen. I decided he must have  
been an angel sent by God to help me and thinking no  
more of it, happily ran home with my prize.  

There was a narrow corridor between two of our neighbors  
houses and I really wanted to see the ball bounce fast  
between them. I knew I had to throw it very hard for  
it to create the desired effect and now my repeated  
promise began nagging at the back of my mind.  
There was a devil on my left shoulder and an angel on my right,  
as I tried to make up my mind what to do.  
I made up my mind and threw the ball as hard as I could.  
In that instant the super ball exploded into tiny fragments  
that rained over me. I had also hurt my hand as it brushed  
against the abrasive wall when I threw the ball.  

I knew I had no right to cry this time and I did not.  
I also knew why this had happened. I had broken my  
promise to God and the angel.  
I never mentioned this to my mother and refused to  
explain how I had torn the skin on my knuckles.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Thank you Northern1 for your entry.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

THE MOTHER OF ALL WEDDING FAILURES
       (As told to me by a friend of mine)

Our June wedding happen to fall on one of the hottest days on record. But that in itself was not the problem. No, I’m no bridezilla, expecting a perfect day, for the perfect wedding, but the idiocy of some people can exasperate any already fragile situation.

I could sweat it out, because I just wanted to get married. But my Husband’s best man, just had to break the rules. At the rehearsal the wedding planner made it perfectly clear that it was illegal to throw rice at the wedding. To do so, was unhealthy and inhumane to all the little English Sparrows that flock to nibble on the grains. Once expanded in their tiny tummies, rice was known to kill these avian wonders.

But Husband’s jackass for a friend thought he found a way to circumvent the rules. As we left the church he showered us with uncooked popcorn kernels.. The heat, combined with the little birds high body temperature spelled disaster for me and death to the little birds. For the high temperature caused the popcorn kernels to burst into popcorn right in their tummies.  The result, the sparrows were exploding in midair.  

Worst of all, was the popping noise the little birds made when they blew-up.. At first I thought it was the sound of gunshots, and the blood and guts splattered on my Vera Wang were from bullet wounds. I went into hysterics, and my new mother in-law feinted. When the chaos subsided, I truly looked like I was dressed as a bloody bride for Halloween.

What a terrible day.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Thank you Snugglebuck for your entry.

wanderer
Faceless
Thought Provoker
4awards
Joined 1st Mar 2012
Forum Posts: 171

The Diamond Lady

if i am one thing only, you could say i am a loner. but i am never alone. Solitude loves me and i love her too. She is my most loyal companion. my heart aches when a soul is around. souls have mouths with tongues in them that roll every which way to let words fill the air. And my love! She flees. i hear her every sob as she walks briskly through the walls to find silence in one of my empty rooms. then once again i'd search and find her shivering in the darkest emptiest room of the lot. Tears streaming down her face she would lie again to comfort me 'it is the echoes bouncing off  these walls that make me cry so'. And yet again i'll hold her tight and say 'i am sorry my love, i promise to never leave your side.'
But then one day, the lady, she came. beautiful beyond belief. her voice was magic. her every word had the feel of diamonds rolling on the floor. my heart was torn and remembering my promise i turned to find my first love Solitude whispering in my ear 'please don't make her leave. let us be alone together. the three of us; myself, yourself and the lady of Diamonds'

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Thank you Wanderer for your entry.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Congratulations to the winners! Fantastic stories everyone! I apologise for the time taken to pick the winners as my usual companions who help me judge my competitions were a bit slow in giving me back the results. Everyone had good interesting stories actually...just difficult to pick the best. Thank you so much for being with me here. Please be with me again in the next competitions.😊

Fillenatrix
Twisted Dreamer
Australia 2awards
Joined 21st Feb 2015
Forum Posts: 47

Oh...oh my goodness, I won?! I'm honoured, this is my first trophy. Thank you Grace and congratulations to snugglebuck and doggerelsheets! I truly enjoyed this competition (and not just because I won :p). All the entries were so much fun to read, love the spooky season!

Page:
Go to: