View Profile Poems by MadameLavender
trophy
RUNNERS-UP: RevolutionAL and LobodeSanPedro

Go to page:

Threesome

poet Anonymous

Poetry Contest

Submit a three piece composition
... Now that I have your attention, you filthy monkeys...

This competition is to show us what you can do. I'd like you to submit three pieces.

Firstly, I would like you to title your submission, and write a paragraph introducing your piece. The subject matter can be anything you like, but I'd like the three pieces to follow a theme. Choose one of each type from the following categories:

Category 1

* Haiku (17 syllables, 5 -7- 5)
* Limerick
* Triolet

Category 2

* Poem under 150 words
* Fictional / Non Fictional Prose (no word limit on prose)
* Spoken word

Category 3

* Photography (Picture must be one you have taken yourself)
* Drawing / artwork (Picture must be one you have made yourself)
* A thoughtful quote you have composed regarding your subject matter.

Rules

* All 3 pieces must be new
* If you are submitting photography, nothing explicit / no nudity please.
* All 3 pieces must be your own work.
* If you could specify somewhere (either at the beginning or end of your composition) which 3 entry types you have chosen that would be helpful.
* No collabs
* One month

Be original, be creative, be yourself.

Any (sensible) questions, ask.

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1779

I'll be back for sure ... i have to think and write my entries...

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015
Forum Posts: 2047

Another threesome soon.  Apologies for not reading comp rules thoroughly. Had trouble adding image into comp post?/

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

This is a great competition idea!

Questions: (1) old or new pieces? (2) word limit on category 2 prose? (3) I'm technically challenged at times.  Posting one's own pics in a competition thread requires a bit of doing ... Can we provide a link from - My Poems - where it's easier to upload an original picture?

poet Anonymous

Calamity Gin - I'm afraid this poem was posted on the 28th September and I did specify new writes only. The poem is also 209 words and the limit for category 2 is 150. There also seems to be only 2 elements out of the three I asked for. If you would like to fix all of those elements I will gladly take an entry. Thank you, lady

poet Anonymous

Lobo - New writes only, this was rule number one in the list of rules. No word limit on the prose (though y'know, don't publish an entire book...) and a photograph on a deep underground poem link would be accepted, as long as the date of your submission to the comp matches the date your poem/pic was published... that make sense?

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Miss_Sub said:Lobo - New writes only, this was rule number one in the list of rules. No word limit on the prose (though y'know, don't publish an entire book...) and a photograph on a deep underground poem link would be accepted, as long as the date of your submission to the comp matches the date your poem/pic was published... that make sense?

Yeah, gotcha Miss ... I missed the whole "rules" thingamajig ... hence the one more speeding ticket and I'll be taking the bus predicament I'm in. I'll keep it to >500 words (micro fiction) I'm thinking,  Pic, no problema.

Cheers

poet Anonymous

I look forward to it... and remind me to never get into a car with you...

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015

Ah sorry didn't see that. Will rectify. Love the comp. There are three prieces, link to Ivy's portrait. Might not have got it in correctly.

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015

So the prose may be more than 150 words. And a link to artwork is fine. Do they all three need to relate to one another?
Thanks Miss Sub, enjoying this.

poet Anonymous

calamitygin said:So the prose may be more than 150 words. And a link to artwork is fine. Do they all three need to relate to one another?
Thanks Miss Sub, enjoying this.

Miss_Sub said:

I'd like you to submit three pieces.

Firstly, I would like you to title your submission, and write a paragraph introducing your piece. The subject matter can be anything you like, but I'd like the three pieces to follow a theme. Choose one of each type from the following categories:

Category 1

* Haiku (17 syllables, 5 -7- 5)
* Limerick
* Triolet

Category 2

* Poem under 150 words
* Fictional / Non Fictional Prose (no word limit on prose)
* Spoken word

Category 3

* Photography (Picture must be one you have taken yourself)
* Drawing / artwork (Picture must be one you have made yourself)
* A thoughtful quote you have composed regarding your subject matter.

Rules

* All 3 pieces must be new
* If you are submitting photography, nothing explicit / no nudity please.
* All 3 pieces must be your own work.
* If you could specify somewhere (either at the beginning or end of your composition) which 3 entry types you have chosen that would be helpful.
* No collabs
* One month

Miss_Sub said:No word limit on the prose (though y'know, don't publish an entire book...) and a photograph on a deep underground poem link would be accepted, as long as the date of your submission to the comp matches the date your poem/pic was published... that make sense?

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

Forward

They say that the "Forward" is the most important part of a book, apparently it is the thread that holds them together. I however am one who often just misses the "Forward" part, and moves straight along to the first chapter. It's the excitement I think, starting something new. Never cared for them really. So here we are writing a "Forward", how opportune?

I've chosen to select the Limerick for the first category, for category 2, Poems under 150 words, which is right down my alley really, and the final category I have selected the Quotation option.

Before I continue I must warn you, that I am naked, yes naked! I do my best writing naked, if this disqualifies from the competition, I'd understand, but I can't imagine a fully dressed threesome, indeed I wonder what the point would be?

Chapter 1

The Soldier

There was a young, rather buff soldier
he was about twenty five, maybe older
crushed on a girl, he called Missy
especially when he was tipsy
But she's been convinced, ever since, he must be Bi-Polar.

Chapter 2

The Soldier And The Bottle.

The smell of that scotch
drifted through
the old
log cabin
like the
Dolce' Vitae
Marylin wore
the night she sang
"Happy Birthday"

The first sip of that splendid
blend
was all it took
to make his mind wonder
[Why is it that Marylin
left her suit behind
the night she sang
"Happy Birthday"?]

"Happy Birthday"
with out a suit
may be the only thing
worse than yogurt
with-out
a spoon

Both are possible
he thought
but both are better
when used
together

This was when he realized
being a soldier
with out
a love
to go home to
during the
home
trips

Is much of the same thing.

-x-

Chapter 3

The Soldier Made a Quote

"Those imperfections that make us real; Are the same imperfections that introduce love."

-x-x-x-

poet Anonymous

Yes! Now the party has started. This is what we're looking for people. Thank you for a great, naked, entry.

(P.s - I prefer the term 'amplified' over 'bi-polar' )

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

Miss_Sub said:Yes! Now the party has started. This is what we're looking for people. Thank you for a great, naked, entry.

(P.s - I prefer the term 'amplified' over 'bi-polar' )

I do to; Alas it would have that limerick a FAIL!

Bwaah!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

Introduction: my submission centers on the theme of being an emotional prisoner to a spouse, and having finally gotten the courage and the right timing to leave, as I did this past week. The photo is one I took down in a cemetery in Hartford CT, and depending on how you looked at this lifelike bronze statue, she expressed different emotions from sadness to contentment to horror, in the different lightings and angles. I felt at the time that she was a statue of my own soul, stuck, entombed and a memorial to all things dead, and that I would end up like her forever if I didn't start making some changes. Timing is everything though, and in making my changes, I did, still do, and always will, wait on God for the signals.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/LisaM0214/IMG_6452_zps8a8xtetd.jpg

Prisoner (haiku)
This has been my face--
heart, panicked, in his presence;
what won't he like, now?

Flight

I've turned into glass, and
I broke--
what was inside, came out, and
God pulled the gold dust from my skin
and placed it on the faces of hummingbirds.

Fly! Run--

I've found ways to live within your means.
I've gone somewhere you can't reach me.

"Now you see! Now you see!
What it's been like, to be me.
He paid a penny for a bride,
my heart, it hides, beneath the tides..."

I've surfaced.
I've gone.
I've post-marital PTSD--
I've got to follow the hummingbirds.
I've got to vomit, sometimes.....
I did it;
I got out.

(Photo from my own collection, taken in West Hartford, CT Cemetery)

Go to page:
Go to: