3 - Please read George Orwell's 1984.

You're welcome.

EveAteRedApples
Thought Provoker
New Zealand
Joined 11th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 100

From http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Dystopia

Dystopia [dis-toh-pee-uh] A dystopia  (from the Greek δυσ- and τόπος, alternatively, cacotopia , kakotopia , cackotopia , or anti-utopia ) is the vision of a society that is the opposite of utopia. A dystopian society is a state in which the conditions of life are miserable, characterized by human misery, poverty, oppression, violence, disease, and/or pollution.

Some academic circles distinguish between anti-utopia and dystopia. As in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, a dystopia does not pretend to be utopian, while an anti-utopia appears to be utopian or was intended to be so, but a fatal flaw or other factor has destroyed or twisted the intended utopian world or concept.

Origin of the word
The first known use of the term dystopia appeared in a speech before the British Parliament by Greg Webber and John Stuart Mill in 1868. In that speech, Mill said, "It is, perhaps, too complimentary to call them Utopians, they ought rather to be called dys-topians, or caco-topians. What is commonly called Utopian is something too good to be practicable; but what they appear to favor is too bad to be practicable." His knowledge of Greek suggests that he was referring to a bad place, rather than simply the opposite of Utopia. The Greek prefix "dys" ("δυσ-") signifies "ill", "bad" or "abnormal"; Greek "topos" ("τόπος") meaning "place"; and Greek "ou-" ("ου") meaning "not". Thus, Utopia means "nowhere", and is a pun on "Eutopia" meaning "happy place" - the prefix "eu" means "well," or "good."

Common traits of a dystopian society
The only trait common to all dystopias is that they are negative and undesirable societies, but many commonalities are found across dystopian societies. In general, dystopias are seen as visions of "dangerous and alienating future societies," often criticizing current trends in culture. It is a culture where the condition of life suffers from deprivation, oppression, or terror.

Counter-utopia
Many dystopias, found in fictional and artistic works, can be described as a utopian society with at least one fatal flaw; whereas a utopian society is founded on the good life, a dystopian society’s dreams of improvement are overshadowed by stimulating fears of the “ugly consequences of present-day behavior”.

Society
Most dystopias impose severe social restrictions on the characters' lives. This can take the form of social stratification, where social class is strictly defined and enforced, and social mobility is non-existent (see caste system). For example, the novel Brave New World's class system is prenatally designated in terms of Alphas, Betas, Gammas, Deltas, and Epsilons, and a permanent mental and physical distinction is made by poisoning fetuses with alcohol in varying amounts.

poet Anonymous

I think she means that, on a dark poetry site, many would see a dystopia as the perfect world to write about and imagine... So fuck off and grow the fuck up

poet Anonymous

I highly doubt that Victor. For fucks sake, since when was correcting actual incorrect use of words and grammar on a writing / poetry site (of ALL places mind you) such a fucking crime?

poet Anonymous

Let's see what she ment. How does one even know the word 'dystopia' without knowing 'utopia'? I just find it fucked up when people go on and on about small shit that doesn't change the poem. A language is created by writers, let us be, good or bad... Fuckit, if she really gave a shit about the spelling she'd go look it up. But for what?!

poet Anonymous

To respect the language she uses to express herself? And this is competition description, not a poem. I seriously believe if it is allowed the mis-use of our language our greatest use of it will be reduced to "txtspk." Look how far we have fallen from Shakespearean times.

poet Anonymous

Ironically one of the key concepts of one of the most famous dystopian novels (Nineteen Eighty-Four) is the destruction of the language.

On topic - let's cool it down here, this is a contest thread after all.

poet Anonymous

fuckit our language reflects our world, it always has. This is where we are, our poems are our poems. Modern poems, not my cup of tea, are very different to the classical ones but thats normal. Our language has changed so much with time and will do so for as long as people speak the language... It's english not latin. It's is because we are, no more no less. So I say unless you don't understand what someone means or they ask for it don't tell them that their use of our language is inferior...

poet Anonymous

victor20 said:fuckit our language reflects our world

I couldn't agree more.

EveAteRedApples
Thought Provoker
New Zealand
Joined 11th Sep 2012

victor20 said:I think she means that, on a dark poetry site, many would see a dystopia as the perfect world to write about and imagine... So fuck off and grow the fuck up
No need to be so rude.

poet Anonymous

sorry if I came off rude but my first language isn't english so I know how people tend to go off at other for minor mistakes. Sorry

EveAteRedApples
Thought Provoker
New Zealand
Joined 11th Sep 2012

It's okay. I wasn't trying to be rude with my first post either.

Whitewand6
Dangerous Mind
India 16awards
Joined 1st Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 2251

Cthonian said:Ironically one of the key concepts of one of the most famous dystopian novels (Nineteen Eighty-Four) is the destruction of the language.

i love you man. you are a samurai.

poet Anonymous

Whitewand6 said:[quote-150555-Cthonian]Ironically one of the key concepts of one of the most famous dystopian novels (Nineteen Eighty-Four) is the destruction of the language.

i love you man. you are a samurai.
[/quote]

Doubleplusgood, comrade.

Anyway, back on topic! Entries for the contest only please.

Go to page:
Go to: