cornered in a frame of glare.

Prompt # 05

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

EPISODE 29/30

"Here it is!" cried Smuggle and Duggle in unison, pointing at the open doorway leading into the volcanic mountain that was Mount Dumb. "No time to waste!"

The Dark Knight was exhausted from carrying the Wyrms.

The One Poem ™ to rule them all

"Are we there yet?" DUGlo asked from within the haze that swirled around in his mind. Or was it sulphuric ash and smoke from the molten fires roiling about in the heart of the mountain? He couldn't say for certain. That foreign voice answered him with,

The One Poem ™ to find them

and tempted DUGlo to give into its power - forsake all other forms of verse. How easy it would be to spend the rest of his life writing ABAB rhymes, never having to challenge himself to do more . . . put in some repeated choruses, become the latest Country Music sensation, sing about having an achy, breaky heart . . .

The One Poem ™ to bring them all

. . . resurrect the heyday of Nashville when records were churned out factory style like kitchen utensils and office widgets . . . and he wouldn't have to listen to any more of his trainer's minimalistic musings . . . Gamjeez instead could become his manager, his very own Colonel Parker . . . DUGlo could ride around in limosines with an entourage, a sort of Fellowship of the DUGster, eating fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches . . .

And in the darkness---

"MISTER DUGLO!" Satin was practically shouting to get his attention."We made it!"

The Glowyrm looked down from the Dark Knight's shoulders into a terrible chasm of bubbling magma. The heat rising up into his face was tremendous. His body felt extremely parched, as if an onion ring left in a deep fryer for too long.

"Are we having funyuns yet?" asked MOAR!ON, reading DUGlo's mind. He entered the archway and towered above them. Despite being the next best thing to a demonic wyrm, as well as a raging dork, he had his moments of comedic genius. "Hand over The One Poem ™ and I promise to make you my Chief Librarian. You can play with all the pretty poetry books that I won't be having incinerated. Mwuahahaha!"

"That does sound a bit tempting," said DUGlo as he tried to shake the cobwebs out of his head.

"You don't mean that!" cried Satin with tears in his eyes. "You have to fight this spell you've fallen under, Mister DUGlo! He means to make us all be slaves to the Poem's evilness!"

The Dark Knight ripped The One Poem ™ free from DUGlo's neck and dropped his companions to the cavern floor. "Sorry, kids, but this Daddio can't go on living knowing the love of his life is an immortally freakish, giant eyeball," he said. "I'm going to destroy the darn verse if it's the last thing I do!"

He turned towards the chasm, ready to toss the Poem to its destruction, when Smuggle and Duggle leapt onto him as if a wrestling tag team. They poked their Froggy fingers through the eyeholes of his mask and yanked hard on his leather bat ears. "Give us our Precious back, you filthy flying rodent!" they howled.

MOAR!ON, fed up with the entire bunch, stepped forward to smite them with Grubgrinder! And that's when the ledge beneath everyone's feet broke free, sending them ALL surfing on a large piece of rock towards annihilation!

When The One Poem ™ slipped out of everyone's grabby, grubby hands, and fell into the magma. It caught fire. Mount Dumb erupted in protest, launching the rock they stood upon as if a missile thousands of feet into the air! They were high in the clouds above Muddle Earth with no where to go but DOWN.

The Dark Knight spread his arms to no avail, as the flames from the volcano had burned holes through his cape.

That was it. They had succeeded in saving not only NaPoWriMo, but all of Muddle Earth.

And now they were going to be bugsplat on someone's car windshield.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

Greetings, Great Poets of the Fellowship! T-MINUS TWO ( ONE IF YOU'VE ALREADY POSTED TODAY ) DAYS TO GO!  Wow! What a NaPo! If you see bug splat on your window, wipe it off and proceed into DAY 29!

You've all done a bloody bang-up job this year! Congratulations on your perseverance and dedication to this challenge! Particularly the first-year entrants!

PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States 28awards
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 706

Visions: Legend Of Trees

Gnarled man shepard of dark
you've been alive since all was dark;
a lack of sun or moon to glow
wherein a mist gave room to grow.

The oldest yet, I see you there
within the deepest forest air
among the things you only care
to not destroy the lion's share.

But you are not the only one
so deeply aged and as strong
as the very ground upon
which you drag trailing fronds.

There are trees much older still
and their silence keeps them chilled
hiding from the harvesters cut
that want to use them all up.

In the pool I see them there
reaching toward the sunlight spare
Fangorn is the voice of them all
and they listen when he calls.

Prompt#2

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

EPISODE 30/30

"Look!" said the Spiderweb Mistress, pointing to the sky.

And everyone did look at what was sailing up through the air in a trail of smoke from the volcano ... before turning to gape at her with their jaws dropping to the ground. She was no longer a giant eye! MOAR!ON's spell upon her had been broken. She was back to her iddy biddy arachniddy self, which meant . . .

. . . The One Poem ™ had been destroyed!

Everybody began cheering at the realization, except for the Mistress and her sisters, and the Ents, whom the spiders ushered to stand around in a circle. Then Sheila Lobelia and her crew wove a huge web attached to all of the Ents to serve as a safety net. Good thing that it was sticky too, because whatever landed in it would have trampolined to the next continent!

"Hold steady!" yelled Treenuts as the Ents rooted themselves deep in the ground for support.

What was caught in the web was not one thing, but several - Satin Gamjeez suffering from severe motion sickness, the Dark Knight attempting a belly flop, DUGlo Baggins glowing brightly and just happy to see everyone again and ... MOAR!ON! Though he was no longer twenty feet tall, but a plain ole Earthwyrm like he use to be thousands of years ago.

"Maggots!" Salamandar yelled at his Gobnoblins. "Keep fighting! This war isn't over until I say it's---"

The White Lizard was interrupted when Grubgrinder landed on his chariot, flipping him out backwards onto his head. He was wearing a thong underneath his white robe. It was not pretty.

Smug the Dragon, scourge of Muddle Earth, and last true enemy still standing on the battlefield, was struck between the eyes by the large chunk of rock launched from Mount Dumb. He haphazardly flew off to the North in a bout of double vision and tried to fly between what he thought was the Two Point O Towers. It was actually one tower, ThincTanc, which he flew straight into, shattering the absurdian architectural wonder into a bazillion pieces.

"Drat!" the White Lizard grumbled. Foiled again!

MOAR!ON in a panic, tried to pick up Grubgrinder, and threw out his back. All the chaos he had inspired over thousands of years had come to naught.

The Nasty Ghoulies were no longer nasty or ghoulish! They peeled off their spikey, plated armor and black cloaks, and began to Break Dance!

NaPoWriMo was saved in the final hours of April! The Spiderweb Mistress kissed and hugged her Dark Knight. Rosie Grace gave Satin Gamjeez some Dramamine and told him he was the bravest idiot she had ever known. Everyone celebrated by drinking ale from their Tropheees.

DUGlo Baggins sat himself down on a rock and finished writing his last entry in the light radiating from his own body. He swore to never go on another adventure again as long as he lived.

And to be very careful about what he drank in the company of Dwarves or purchased at future yard sales.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Good morning Great Poets of the Fellowship! Who feels LOVE IN THE AIR?! We certainly do! T-MINUS ONE ( ZERO IF YOU'VE ALREADY POSTED TODAY ) DAY TO GO!

A WHOPPING CONGRATULATIONS to all who have posted their No 30! What an incredible feat you have accomplished!

If you've received a double-heart you may proceed into day 30! If you have not, you have until midnight, your time zone, tonight to make up and complete the challenge!

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HAVE COMPLETED THE CHALLENGE! Johnny and I will be double-checking the entries beginning tomorrow, and if all are in compliance, then you will be awarded a specially designed trophy from Webmiss!

Razzerleaf
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 26awards
Joined 15th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 487

The Argonath

A small cloaked figure ambles to the corner of the inn and takes a seat, clears his throat and picks up his harp. "Hello I'm Razeaf the elf, I going to tell you my tale of the Argonath and all their splendor. He plucks three note on his harp and begins;

Listen to me now
you armies of the north
for I tell the tale of Argonath
with words of axe and sword.

All enemies of Gondor
who dare sail at their gate
with see the face of Isildur
and meet their darkest fate.

Each hand holds out defiance
a warning to repel
Anarion carved majestic
Gondor's greatest spell.

Written by Razzerleaf
Go To Page  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Loving all these entries! Just a note on how this competition is decided:

Team Napo  ( sans any who participated ) will be voting on the winner for this, so best of luck! You have until midnight, your time, to enter a poem from the amazing prompt list compiled by the team!

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

Miscounsel of Elrond

"One ring to rue them all,
one ring to fine them,
one ring to bling them all,
and in the darkness blind them."

So were the words of Ganondorf
wizened and wise in many ways
but he is blind and senile
way past youth and his better days.

Miscounsel words to the council
to the varied assembled races there
who now abstain from gold and wealth
forgo all fashion, they did swear.

Yet without the need for money
the walls broke of doubt or mistrust
they learnt to share with each other
forming an alliance as needs must.

For when the Eye looked on them
It faltered, in its confusion,
at the sight of diversity
of the races mixing in fusion.

They were not one, but now; many
evil thwarted by a lasting light:
lamps, beacons, candles, bulbs, torches, fire
and together banishing night.

Illuminated austerity
shone forth from all the free fair folk
all united against the dark lands
and because Ganondorf misspoke!
Written by Viddax (Lord Viddax)
Go To Page  

NaPoWriMo2021 entry #21, using Prompt 28:
28) When Gandalf deciphers the writing engraved on Bilbo's ring, he uses an incorrectly programmed online Black Speech of Mordor to English translator. What does the Wizard recite that offends Elrond and the others attending the secretive High Council meeting?

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1779

Ahavati said:Loving all these entries! Just a note on how this competition is decided:

Team Napo  ( sans any who participated ) will be voting on the winner for this, so best of luck! You have until midnight, your time, to enter a poem from the amazing prompt list compiled by the team!

What’s this about? Winner? Huh?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Zazzles said:

What’s this about? Winner? Huh?

Jackie!! Did you not read the first post of this comp?! It's also listed in the regular competition!  Girl!!!!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

And this comp is officially CLOSED! We await the Council of Melrond to choose the winner!

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013

Ahavati said:

Jackie!! Did you not read the first post of this comp?! It's also listed in the regular competition!  Girl!!!!

Yes i didn’t see it. Sometimes when there is a lot going on in one place i get confused, i regret not  knowing about this, i would of loved to add a story poem, about the Elves and magic well there’s always next year now I know ♥️

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Zazzles said:
Yes i didn’t see it. Sometimes when there is a lot going on in one place i get confused, i regret not  knowing about this, i would of loved to add a story poem, about the Elves and magic well there’s always next year now I know ♥️

Gurrrrl! You'dda had a killer shot at winning with your imagination! Yep; there's one each year to accompany the regular. We've almost got a winner we'll be announcing soon.

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013

Ahavati said:

Gurrrrl! You'dda had a killer shot at winning with your imagination! Yep; there's one each year to accompany the regular. We've almost got a winner we'll be announcing soon.

👍🏻🤗♥️

Go to page:
Go to: