Co-Hosts - Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze
Part XXXVIII in an ongoing series introducing serious writers of DUP to the most well-known poets, both classical and modern. Lord Byron ( born George Gordon Byron, 22 January 1788 – 19 April 1824 ) was a leading figure of the Romantic movement and is regarded as one of the greatest British poets. Among his best-known works are the lengthy narrative poems Don Juan and Childe Harold's Pilgrimage.
He travelled extensively across Europe, especially in Italy, where he lived for seven years in the cities of Venice, Ravenna, and Pisa. During his stay in Italy he frequently visited his friend and fellow poet Percy Bysshe Shelley ( husband of Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein ).
Later in his abbreviated life, Byron joined the Greek War of Independence fighting the Ottoman Empire. He died in 1824 at the age of 36 from a fever contracted after the First and Second Siege of Missolonghi.
Byron first experienced inexplicable intense feelings at age eight for his distant cousin, Mary Duff. Within the next few years, he had received sexual advances from and had sexual encounters with adults of both genders.
There is an entire section in Wikipedia under his name dedicated to "Relationships and scandals". Needless to say, he was a passionate young man involved in numerous affairs with both sexes, some even regarded as incestuous. Though his life, similar to his attention span, was short - it was a soap opera that produced some of the world's most highly regarded love poetry.
For more about Lord Byron, visit
- Write a new
Poem honoring Byron inspired by only one of his poems.
- While you are allowed a maximum of 2 entries, only the best of your entries is considered viable for the trophy.
- Do your best to make us feel as though we are reading poetry by Byron. The more we feel you "capturing his essence" in "your own words" , the higher you will score. Scoring will also involve choice of wording, delivery, subject material, formatting, target audience - a wide range of factors.
What is the "essence" we are looking for? It will be a combination of the poet's personality, emotional investment, and message delivered in the inspiration poem you chose. The Rules
1. Two entries per DUP persona allowed. Keep this thread clean of everything but entries until after the awards announcement is made. Comment on entries directly to the member's page if you feel moved to. Post any questions or concerns about the comp in the Classic Corner Discussion thread @ https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/10855/
2. No extreme erotica*; this is open to all ages and can't be viewed with an ECW ( Extreme Content Warning ). * Extreme Erotica would be considered visual imagery which would depict any type of sexual activity
as well as the direct naming of body parts, i.e. - nipples, pussy, cock, et al.
3. No exact word limit; however, attempt to keep it no more than 250 - 300.
4. Any form is acceptable ( but studying the poet is advised ). While we accept Spoken Word and Visual Poems, please include a text version in your submissions.
5. You MUST tag your entries with the theme #LordByron. If the theme is currently not available, be sure to add it before the competition expires.
6. In your poem's Author Notes box, provide the title of and a direct link to the one poem by Byron that inspired yours. Failure to not include this information will automatically disqualify your entry
. Without such, we have no way of determining if you were truly inspired by Byron or simply swapped fresh words into his existing poetry ( which is a form of plagiarism ). This is a requirement regardless if you include a copy of the inspiration poem along with your entry or borrow its title.
7. You may edit your entry up until the moment the competition closes and is locked for judging. In fact, we highly encourage you take a few minutes to review your entry to ensure that it is error free in terms of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and adheres to these guidelines.
Comp will be judged by Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze. As in the past and in the event there is a tie, we will call in third ( and possibly fourth ) judge.
You have one month; best of luck to all entrants!