Tyrant of Words
United States
92awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 8243

Poetry Contest

Classic Corner Tribute: Rita Frances Dove

Co-Hosts - Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze  

Welcome back to the Classic Corner Competitions, Part XXXVII, in an ongoing series introducing serious writers of DUP to the most famous classical and modern poets of our time.

Rita Frances Dove (born August 28, 1952) is an American poet and essayist. From 1993 to 1995, she was the youngest person and the first African American served as Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress. Dove also received an appointment as "special consultant in poetry" for the Library of Congress's bicentennial year from 1999 to 2000. Dove is the second African American to receive the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry, in 1987, and she served as the Poet Laureate of Virginia from 2004 to 2006.

In addition to her poetry, Dove has penned prose, as seen with the short-story collection Fifth Sunday (1985), the novel Through the Ivory Gate (1992) and the essay collection The Poet’s World (1995). She has also written the play The Darker Face of the Earth (1994), and collaborated as a lyricist with a variety of composers.

Dove has served as an editor as well, helming The Best American Poetry 2000 and 2011’s Penguin Anthology of 20th Century American Poetry; the latter was released the same year as Dove’s critically acclaimed book-length poem Sonatta Mulattica, about biracial classical violinist George Polgreen Bridgetower.

For more info visit: https://www.biography.com/writer/rita-dove

Guidelines  

—Write a new ( non-previously posted ) poem honoring Dove inspired by any one of her poems.

—Do NOT copy paste your poem to the competition, it must be linked to your page with the below information.

—Do your best to make us feel as though we are reading poems by Dove. The more we feel you "capturing her essence" in "your own words" , the higher you will score. This will involve choice of wording, delivery, subject material, formatting, target audience, ambiguity - a wide range of factors.    

The Rules

1.Two entries per DUP persona allowed. Keep this thread clean of everything but entries until after the awards announcement is made. Comment on entries directly to the member's page if you feel moved to. Post any questions or concerns about the comp in the Classic Corner Discussion thread @
https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/10855/

2. No extreme erotica*; this is open to all ages and can't be viewed with an ECW ( Extreme Content Warning ). * Extreme Erotica would be considered visual imagery which would depict any type of sexual activity as well as the direct naming of body parts, i.e. - nipples, pussy, cock, et al.

3. No exact word limit; however, attempt to keep it no more than 250 - 300 ( UNLESS the inspirational poem is longer ).

4. Any form is acceptable ( but studying the poet is advised ). This includes visual and spoken word pieces.    

5. You must select #RitaDove in your themes. The theme page will automatically generate as soon as eight entrants hashtag the theme. Make sure you hashtag her in your themes or you will be disqualified.

6. In your Author's note, provide the poem title ( even if the title of your poem is the same as Dove's ) as well as a link to the poem ( not website ) by Dove that inspired yours. Without this, we have no way of determining if you were truly inspired by Dove, or simply swapped fresh words into her existing poetry and form, which could be considered plagiarism.

7. You may edit your entry up until the moment the competition closes and is locked for judging. Then it's out of our hands; please don't message with corrections once the comp has closed.

Comp will be judged by Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze. As in the past and in the event there is a tie, we will call in third  judge.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
92awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 8243

Theresienstadt Ghetto Symphony

( After Rita Dove )

Some played harmoniously
in the face of tragedy;    
others, absurdly out of sync    
regardless of advantages      

Despite how we observe    
or innately judge. . .    
both inevitably belonged—    
captive and guard    

Inside each cavernous soul    
exists a desire to complement    
the mastery of music—    

to be fondly remembered      
a dedicated creator, or just part    
of something greater—    

as space between notes    
holding sound together—      

to taste the rarity of beauty    
from a vast hunger;    
our biorhythm surviving    
the odds of injustice—    

defiantly humming  
in gratitude    

If music be the food of love  
play on.*

~
Written by Ahavati
Go To Page  

MaryWalker
MaryWalker
Fire of Insight
United States
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 206

Melody's Fingertips

Dry logs in the stone pit, consumed
quicker than Indian Summers

in crackling pops, sweep  
dustbunnied quiet under rugs;  

serenade complements my cello  
frame being played to its tune.  

Melody's fingertips strumming;    
my instruments gauging spikes  

Sparks fly before either of us  
realizes we are out of control  

---wild fires converging  
in unorchestrated infernos  

These flames of ours licking  
long into the late hours  

She, burning away my dark  

I, reveling inn'er light  

Written by MaryWalker
Go To Page  

slipalong
slipalong
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 459

Another bite at the cherry

My old Nissan
its shine, with years , dulled, fading fast
its blotchy skin.
When was it polished last
and catch a glint.
 Hanging from the mirror
 a car vent that looks just like Tom Jones.
Dream; the apple Adam held,
the need to taste forbidden fruit.
With evil pride his ego swelled
I thought that I was in a hurry
the radio was playing Brian Ferry.
Addicted to love, vain hopes anthem
and one on one, be the sum.
In expectation longer dwell,
like children playing hide and seek
look round the corner take a peep.
Wistfulness for mistletoe its pheromones
the erogeny , a kiss on tippy toes.