WINNER
syandeneJahia (sy4ndene44)
View Profile Poems by syandeneJahia
trophy

Go to page:

Spoken Word Of The Month (July 2020)

poet Anonymous

If I may, Josh :

Why aren’t people voting? It’s because they don’t want to vote on endless comps. And it’s not just this comp, it seems to stretch across the board as seen also in new member of the month, poem of the month, the backlog of comps up for vote etc

If I were you, I’d form a little, consistent, impartial panel of your choice, and discuss the vote amongst yourselves each month.

Voila, you can award the trophy on time every month. Simples.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

I've really been thinking about your comment, Missy. It holds a lot of merit; however, for me it's not the actual voting for DU's monthly comps that I don't want to participate in; it's not being able to vote for who I nominated. Here's the thing: we nominate who we want to win, then we're forced to vote against them. That is what I am tired of. I know this topic has been breached a few times, with responses that it is possible to alter that, but nothing was ever done about it.

What I personally grow weary of are the same people holding comps ( sometimes two at a time ), and they never pick a winner. They never assume responsibility for their competitions, but hand them off to voters ( for whatever reason I don't want to touch base on because I feel it's irrelevant ). Those are the ones who should pick an impartial delegation to select a winner.

If any comps deserve a public vote, it's the DU monthly comps. I only wish that we could vote for ( not against  ) who we've nominated. Sometimes, if I like a writer's piece as much as the one I nominated I will vote. Sometimes I will vote to attempt to unclog the backlog of comps. But, for the majority I am coming to refrain from voting in hopes that, 1) one of the one's I nominated would actually win;, and, 2) others will get wo/man up, and select winners to their own comps, like we do.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1741

Miss_Sub said:If I may, Josh :

Why aren’t people voting? It’s because they don’t want to vote on endless comps. And it’s not just this comp, it seems to stretch across the board as seen also in new member of the month, poem of the month, the backlog of comps up for vote etc

If I were you, I’d form a little, consistent, impartial panel of your choice, and discuss the vote amongst yourselves each month.

Voila, you can award the trophy on time every month. Simples.

Thanks Missy for some ideas,

The problem with a nomination comp is that I can't award the trophy (with or without an impartial panel helping me). The web-system under "select a winner" pops up with the names of those who have done the nominating, not those who were nominated for. This means a vote is the only way (as far as I understand techie things).

Second, I agree there is too much voting anyway being asked of people -- and with comps that sometimes have 20-30 entries, it is asking a lot from the voter to read through so many entries. I generally vote but I scan-read them and stop when I find an interesting line and then read the poem properly. I automatically rule out any poem with a spelling error. In fact, I'm looking for any reason not to vote for XYZ -- and then see who is left. I agree with Ahavati's comment that (especially those with a lot of entries) should take responsibility and award the trophy themselves.

And with a nomination comp, which I innocently took on board to run as a monthly comp    -- it is also asking a lot of people to constantly find someone to nominate.

I think I am stuck with the voting process to determine the winner. In that respect a monthly nomination comp does not work so I shall probably change it to "seasonal" (4 x / year) -- Watch out for the next ... "Autumn" comp.

Thanks again, All the best, Josh.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

Josh said:

Thanks Missy for some ideas,

The problem with a nomination comp is that I can't award the trophy (with or without an impartial panel helping me). The web-system under "select a winner" pops up with the names of those who have done the nominating, not those who were nominated for. This means a vote is the only way (as far as I understand techie things).

Second, I agree there is too much voting anyway being asked of people -- and with comps that sometimes have 20-30 entries, it is asking a lot from the voter to read through so many entries. I generally vote but I scan-read them and stop when I find an interesting line and then read the poem properly. I automatically rule out any poem with a spelling error. In fact, I'm looking for any reason not to vote for XYZ -- and then see who is left. I agree with Ahavati's comment that (especially those with a lot of entries) should take responsibility and award the trophy themselves.

And with a nomination comp, which I innocently took on board to run as a monthly comp  -- it is also asking a lot of people to constantly find someone to nominate.

I think I am stuck with the voting process to determine the winner. In that respect a monthly nomination comp does not work so I shall probably change it to "seasonal" (4 x / year) -- Watch out for the next ... "Autumn" comp.

Thanks again, All the best, Josh.

You mean gallantly!

Go to page:
Go to: