United States 28awards
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 706

Prompt # 27

Past And Present

Stanza engineering log, Stardate April 30, 2020
T'PoetsRevenge, chief officer:

I have observed a bearded man in several areas of the ship
dressed in woodsmans clothes and writing in a notebook.
He appears to be a hologram. Some of the crew and cadets
have been studying different eras in poetry on the holodeck
for Poetry Writing Month.  I suspect that this is where he
originated.  I have scanned his image into the ship's encyclopedia,
and it is none other than Henry David Thoreau, the transcendentalist of the early 20th century on Earth.  Commander Deannavati confirmed that he was visited with in the holodeck at a place called Walden, a pristine wooded area with a pond where he dwelled in solitude writing about his surroundings and connection
to the natural world.  

After reading up on the interesting legacy of this poet,
I have logically concluded that he is likely caught in a temporal loop,
otherwise known as 'time travel', and is actually studying us in our midst.  This was likely triggered by the holodeck visit, whereby he simply followed crew members onto the ship out of curiosity, however, I believe his lifestyle and immense wisdom gained by it may be a factor.  Because he was in such isolation in such a pristine place in life, he most likely crossed into other dimensions at some point and into other times, such as now.  It is possible that this quote, taken from his poem, 'The Moon Now Rises To Her Absolute Rule' , may have been inspired by these otherworldly experiences,

'And the life everlasting withers not'.

Also, he mentions being 'transported' in 'Tall Ambrosia',

'Who never walk but are transported rather—'

His final words to a friend asking what would come were,

'One world at a time'

Its an interesting theory, that he wrote of future technology,
new worlds and life everlasting, and curious at the same time as he
was against technology being a success of man's advancement.
He must have found today's world strange indeed. Perhaps this quote from 'I Am A Vain Parcel Of Strivings' sums it up,

'But now I see I was not plucked for naught,
  And after in life's vase
  Of glass set while I might survive,
  But by a kind hand brought
  Alive
  To a strange place.'

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14270

Thank you for your entries, everyone!  The competition is now CLOSED! The judging will commence and winner will be announced asap!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Our panel of three judges has determined the winner of the Official DUP NaPo 2020 Stomp the Prompt Comp is ....

* d r u m r o l l *

Gahddess_Worship

with his entry

Voyage In Crimson

Congrats!

And thank you to all who participated!

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 796

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Thank you so much, SocksScareMe and congratulations to you and and all other participants.  And I appreciate the nod from the Tribunal of Fun. I enjoyed the challenge and it facilitated NaPo entries when I was in need of inspiration. Because my family and I are big Trekkies  and we love the "red shirt" running joke, I was especially drawn to the prompt that focuses on the plight of the red-shirted. Also, I am certain that if I joined the Star Fleet I would be the recipient of the crimson tunic.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Congratulations GW, this was as creative as i've ever seen and you deserve the honor.

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 796

Layla said:Congratulations GW, this was as creative as i've ever seen and you deserve the honor.

With humble pomposity I thank you for your deservedly hyperbolic estimation of this stellar, I mean interstellar work. But seriously, your praise is like bringing home a Math quiz emblazoned with an A+ and hanging it on the fridge. , <3

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

Congratulations Gahdess, a truly worthy poem. It moved me in a way I did not expect.

Tag you're it! Huzzah! I'm free, I'm free! *Gambles wildly off into the literary hills*

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14270

Viddax said:Congratulations Gahdess, a truly worthy poem. It moved me in a way I did not expect.

Tag you're it! Huzzah! I'm free, I'm free! *Gambles wildly off into the literary hills*

LOL! You ruled with both integrity and honor, Viddax! Enjoy your freedom!

Go to page:
Go to: