Poetry competition CLOSED 9th November 2019 00:21am
WINNER
MadameLavender
View Profile Poems by MadameLavender
trophy
RUNNERS-UP: Miss_Sub and Brando

Go to page:

SAME TITLE POEMS

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
16awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1573

Congrats, Madame! 🏆

And well done Miss_Sub and Brando. ✔✔

At least I can say the challenge motivated me to write 5 poems!


Jade-Pandora
Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States
170awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 4789

Thank you so much for this unique challenge opportunity, ms butters, and for the honorable mention. I congratulate winners MadameLavender, Missy and Brando for their excellent entries!  And to all wo participated!

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 831

JohnnyBlaze said:Congrats, Madame! 🏆

And well done Miss_Sub and Brando. ✔✔

At least I can say the challenge motivated me to write 5 poems!

if the rest hadn't been so freakin' awesome you'd have placed. maybe next time i'm happy it inspired you to write!

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 831

Jade-Pandora said:Thank you so much for this unique challenge opportunity, ms butters, and for the honorable mention. I congratulate winners MadameLavender, Missy and Brando for their excellent entries!  And to all who participated!sooooo much good stuff to read in the entries. impressive *nods* this has probably been the hardest comp i've run when it came to selecting the placements... and i've run quite a lot, so that just speaks highly of the poems offered up.

Brando
Brando
Brandon Hursell
Thought Provoker
United States
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Nov 2018
Forum Posts: 275

butters said:hey, Brando

you had me doing a little research to see what was waiting to be unpeeled in a poem that, on its surface, holds some ineffable quality that reached out—at the same time full of resolve as a sense of deep sorrow.

your opening sounds like a heraldic coat of arms, mythical creatures representing fire and water, the heights of the sky and the deepest depths of dark oceans, highs/lows/elemental

worn like a badge of honour, but these are 'real', organs... organs under attack? esophagael cancer presents with heartburn; Hell burns, too. so a lot of fire references. the water references are there in balance: leviathon, rivers, pour...

to me, this reads as a confession to a loved one, a revelation about cancer.

i hope this isn't a personal poem, or that i have it all wrong, or that you are in remission.  it's a most thoughtful—and thought-provoking piece. please feel free to reply to me in pm if you'd prefer, or not at all.
thankyou, for this entry,


Great comp, and truly lots of amazing entries!! Thank you so much for hosting. I really enjoyed reading your interpretations.
I love, and appreciate your decoding of the piece that I wrote. And to clarify, I am not physically diseased, to my knowledge. I believe it was more of a nod to something like Dorian Gray, diseases of the mind and soul that leave their mark.
(After some therapy) I might be able to elaborate more than that. Lol.
Anyway, thank you sincerely to everyone involved in this. Great job!!





MadameLavender
MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States
73awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5050

Thanks so much for the win ! Wasn’t expecting that, just blowing off steam after a hell-night in the lab , but very much appreciated !

Lots of great writes from everyone , awesome of our host Ms. Butters to run a great Comp!

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 831

Brando said:

Great comp, and truly lots of amazing entries!! Thank you so much for hosting. I really enjoyed reading your interpretations.
I love, and appreciate your decoding of the piece that I wrote. And to clarify, I am not physically diseased, to my knowledge. I believe it was more of a nod to something like Dorian Gray, diseases of the mind and soul that leave their mark.
(After some therapy) I might be able to elaborate more than that. Lol.
Anyway, thank you sincerely to everyone involved in this. Great job!!




i am greatly relieved you're well and even if my interpretation took me down wrong paths they were still interesting reading and very very moving

PoetsRevenge
PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States
12awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 241

butters said:this reads to me like a double revelation:  the sweet tormenting voices suggesting possibilities in those 'visions' yet, at the same time, a revelation by the poem's narrator that they will not be listened to nor acted upon and that, instead, they will revel in what is real (and achievable) to them. a closing oneself off from the possibilities of love as a form of self-preservation? that's sad.

the image of the framed daylight has me thinking of a person who is too unsure, not mentally prepared to chance walking through the doorway of possibilities. even though the lines don't mention a doorway—might just as well be windows, the 'glass' closing the narrator off from the other side of what is/what could be.

question: obsurdities
since you have absurdity further down, is this word a play on 'obscurities/absurdities', or a typo? i know you're not prone to posting with typos so i just wanted to know

thanks for this entry, Poets_Revenge



Thanks so much, Butters for the great analysis and noticing the typo in my poem, I appreciate the insightful critique..

Congrats to the winners, it was really interesting to see the many perspectives on a single word and the possibilities of it, this was a great comp idea

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 831

PoetsRevenge said:
Thanks so much, Butters for the great analysis and noticing the typo in my poem, I appreciate the insightful critique..

Congrats to the winners, it was really interesting to see the many perspectives on a single word and the possibilities of it, this was a great comp idea
it was a pleasure to read and an interesting journey in my attempt to decode its breadcrumbs.

these sorts of challenges often make for great surprises as to where the prompt takes the poet :D

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 831

just want to add that i've put comments here on all of the entries, sort of thinking my way through them before i made my choices. so anyone dropping by and seeing the winners posted, i've left each of you a message as i replied to your pieces.

Go to page:
Go to: