Co-Hosts - Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze
Part XXII in an ongoing series introducing serious writers of DUP to the most well-known poets, both classical and modern. Thomas Stearns Eliot
( 26 September 1888 – 4 January 1965 ), aside from being one of the Twentieth Century's major poets, was also an essayist, publisher, playwright, and literary and social critic.
Beginning in the late 1940s, Eliot received almost every accolade the West had to offer a poet. Several universities, including his alma mater, bestowed honorary doctorates. In 1948 he received England’s most exclusive and prestigious civilian prize, the Order of Merit, and, in the same year, the Nobel Prize in Literature. The Waste Land
by Eliot published in 1922 is widely regarded as one of the most important poems of the 20th century and a central work of modernist poetry. Among its famous phrases is April is the cruellest month
. Guidelines Write up to 2 New Poems
honoring Eliot inspired by any one or more of his poems. We feel listing particular poems may be constricting, and want you to follow the inspiration wherever it leads. Do your best to make us feel as though we are reading poems by Eliot.
The more we feel you "capturing his essence" in "your own words" , the higher you will score. This will involve choice of wording, delivery, subject material, formatting, target audience - a wide range of factors. The Rules
1. One entry per DUP persona.
2. No erotica; this is open to all ages and can't be viewed with an ECW ( Extreme Content Warning ).
3. No exact word limit; however, attempt to keep it no more than 250 - 300.
4. Any form is acceptable ( but studying the poet is advised ).
5. Add the Theme #TSEliot ( already created by the Webmiss ) and link to your poem here. Do NOT copy paste your poem to the competition.
6. In your poem's notes, provide links and or titles to the poem by Eliot that inspired yours.
Without these, we have no way of determining if you were truly inspired by Eliot or simply swapped fresh words into his existing poetry ( which is a form of plagiarism ).
Comp will be judged by Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze.
You have one month; best of luck to all entrants!