Co-Hosts - Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze
Part XX in an ongoing series introducing serious writers of DUP to the most well-known poets, both classical and modern. Edward Estlin Cummings
(October 14, 1894 – September 3, 1962), often styled as e e cummings
, as he is attributed in many of his published works, was an American poet, painter, essayist, author and playwright. He wrote approximately 2,900 poems, two autobiographical novels, four plays and several essays.
Cummings is often regarded as one of the most important American poets of the 20th century, associated with modernist free-form poetry. Much of his work has idiosyncratic syntax and uses lower case spellings for poetic expression. Guidelines
Write a new poem honoring Cummings inspired by any one or more of his poems. We feel listing particular poems may be constricting, and want you to follow the inspiration wherever it leads. Do your best to make us feel as though we are reading poems by Cummings
. The more we feel you "capturing his essence" in "your own words" , the higher you will score. This will involve choice of wording, delivery, subject material, formatting, target audience - a wide range of factors. The Rules
1. One entry per DUP persona.
2. No erotica; this is open to all ages and can't be viewed with an ECW ( Extreme Content Warning ).
3. No exact word limit; however, attempt to keep it no more than 250 - 300.
4. Any form is acceptable ( but studying the poet is advised ).
5. Hashtag your poem #eecummings and link to your poem here. Do NOT copy paste your poem to the competition.
The point is to eventually direct visitors searching for Cummings to your poem via the hashtag we hope will eventually be implemented by the Webmiss.
6. In your poem's notes, provide links to the poem by Cummings that inspired yours.
Without these, we have no way of determining if you were truly inspired by Cummings or simply swapped fresh words into his existing poetry.
Comp will be judged by Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze.
You have one month; best of luck to all entrants!