RUNNERS-UP: Jade-Pandora and Hepcat61

Go to page:

When Dark Doves Fly

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

Johnny and I would like to thank each entrant for studying and honoring Federico García Lorca. This is not going to be an easy comp to judge ( as if any ever are ), so bear with us.  Please double-check for spelling, grammar, hashtags, and guidelines compliance errors.  We had one lose due to a spelling error, and another because they didn't hashtag per the guidelines. That may seem minor, however, when judging is this tough ( and it is tough ) it can come down to the technicalities of guidelines and the basics to determine a winner.

You still have a few hours to enter before the comp closes!  

wallyroo92
Tyrant of Words
United States 148awards
Joined 11th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1806

Ella y Yo (Her and I)

Ella y Yo

Su rostro pálido, frío,
Sus ojos de color gris,
Sus labios pintados de carmín,
Pero sabía que no me besaría.

“No, todavía no” ella susurro.

En un corsé negro con vestido largo
Su capa cubría su cuerpo,
En su presencia sentía el cielo
Y el infierno.

Pero yo anhelaba su beso,
Su abrazo,
Quería saber lo del mas allá,
Pero entre la bala y pastillas
Ella lo dijo otra vez,
“No, todavía no”.

Mi corazón palpitaba con fuerza y fuego,
El amor que encontré era prohibido,
Porque en sus ojos vi la verdad.

“Como Moisés en la montaña” dijo suavemente,
Con un acaricio de sus dedos delgados.

Recogió su guadaña  
Y sin mirar atrás,
Susurro una última vez más “Todavía no”
Y cerró la puerta.

Her and I

Her pale face, cold
Her eyes grey in color,
Her lips were painted in carmine,
But I knew she would not kiss me.

“No, not yet” she whispered.

In a black corset with a long dress,
Her cloak covered her body,
In her presence I could feel heaven
And hell.

Yet I longed for her kiss,
Her embrace,
I wanted to know what about the beyond,
But between the bullet and pills
She said it again,
“No, not yet.”

My heart beat with strength and fire,
The love I found was forbidden,
Because in her eyes I saw the truth.

“Like Moses in the mountain” she said softly,
With a caress from her slender fingers.

She picked up her scythe,
Without looking back
She whispered one last time “Not yet”
And closed the door.

#FedericoGarcíaLorca
Written by wallyroo92
Go To Page  

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1028

La Muerte del Poeta

(the death of the poet)  
An Ode to Federico Garcia Lorca  

The glints on mountains speak no words,  
I beg that August sun not rise  
The dust of broken trees and death.  

The moon, odd shape of poet’s mouth,  
Dark child, that sings his marching songs  
And holds the wounds of passing light.  

The sands, that held the gypsy dance,  
Hold music of the coming dead,  
A sleep remaining undisturbed.  

Head bowed to crossed-winged vulture skies,  
From vigil fields of brown stained earth, 
I beg that August sun not rise.          

(Federico García Lorca was murdered by Franco’s nationalists on August 18, 1936).        

#FedericoGarcíaLorca
Written by Hepcat61 (geoff cat)
Go To Page  

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1751

A Weight of Tears

Josh (Joshua Bond)
Go To Page  

Poem was inspired by a combination of Lorca’s poem “The Guitar” (https://poets.org/poem/guitar), his biography, and affairs (both historical and current) concerning enforced migration.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Thank you you to all entrants.  Judging is in process and we thank you in advance for your patience. Best of luck to each of you.

Please visit and consider participating in the latest Classic Corner comps:

Agnes Török Tribute: https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/10867/#449801

Wendell Berry Tribute: https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/10868/

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Thank you again to each entrant who took the time to study and honor Lorca with a tributary piece. As you know, judging can be quite tough in competitions like this, which is why we have a particular scale to guide us in regards to essence, content, form, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and, lastly, adherence to guidelines.  When neck-to-neck with another entrant one simple mistake can knock you out of placement.  Each was judged on a scale between 1-5, with 5 being the highest possible score, 1 the lowest.

Being that Lorca's poetry was often wide open to interpretation, we also had to rely heavily on gauging his essence channeled into each entry.

That being said, congratulations to the following winners:

First Place: Josh

Second Place: Hepcat61

Third Place: Jade

If each of you wishes to know your personal scores, please private message and we will be happy to share them along with our notes.

Again, thank you to all entrants who braved Lorca. Please join us for August's male Classic Corner Tribute featuring Wendell Berry:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/10868/

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Winning entries can be accessed by clicking on the avatars.

http://poeticmedics.com/classic_corner_poet_tributes_federico_garcia_lorca.html

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

My thanks to our hosts, Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze, for another golden opportunity in a Classic Corner competition - with the deeply earthy Federico Garcia Lorca!

My congratulations go out to trophy-winner Josh, and podium mate Hepcat ( what was your name again, cat? ), for their moving entries... and much thanks for the nod as well, being as Lorca has always meant something quite special to me!🙏🏻

And all the best to those who participate in the CC comps during July!

~Jadey✍🏻

PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States 28awards
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 738

Congratulations to Jade, Hepcat and Josh,  all your poems had great complexity that seemed to embody Lorca's poetry style and all the entries were great in this comp, I really enjoyed reading them..

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1751

I am very honoured to have won this competition, especially reading through other wonderful entries. No easy task to judge I'm sure and I am very grateful to A & JB for running this comp series - it contributes much to DUP's 'status' (if that's the right word). Congrats to Jade & Hepcat - I couldn't ask for a better pair of 'pacers' to push me past the finishing line   :))

I see the next comps are already in place. Agnes Török ?? I have no idea who she is - another interesting journey about to be embarked upon.  
Wendell Berry - a factoid you won't know - there is a local band here in Portugal whose name is "The Mad Farmers Liberation Front" taken fom Wendell's 1973 poem "Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front". Since Wndell doesn't do technology, they wrote him a letter to ask permission, and got a hand-written letter back, granting it - a treasured possession.  Here's a youtube link (terrible sound quality) at a concert launching their first CD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ761-x-DF0       :))

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1028

I bow to our hosts - Ahavati and JohnnyBlaze - I have to agree with Josh, though I haven't participated as often as I would like, I love that you have us reaching back into our poetic heritage to remember that there is a long and storied history to our word play :

whose results are Tupac, Kanye, and Kendrick Lamar, not its inception.  

These competitions are a great testament to the fact that poetry did not begin (depending on your generation) with Ginsberg, Plath, Bukowski, Scott-Heron, Smith, Carroll, Grand Master Flash, Ice Cube, Eminem or Cardi B.

(I step from my soap box... and kick it to the side)

Josh - excellent work - I am a reader of Lorca and you deserved the cup.  To Jade, who encouraged me to enter right up to the last - I could not ask for a better partner in rhyme! (although there was only one intentional rhyme in my entry and that was in the last tercet). I bow, again, to you both.

And to all who found it in their hearts to show such great respect to one of my favorite poets, I bow a third time and thank you.

geoff

Heaven_sent_Kathy
Thought Provoker
United States 9awards
Joined 1st Nov 2017
Forum Posts: 177

This too was a wonderful opportunity to show my ( and our ) love and respect to a miracle poet of Lorca.  A true honor to have participated, thanks to our hosts Ahavati and JohnnyBlaze.

And sincerest congratulations to three marvelous poets, together in my eyes as equal in their respective poetic craft.  To Josh as the winner, my support to your expressions, always.  And to Hepcat, for your touching write when it came to Lorca's actually death - very moving.  And to Jade, with your lovely, lilting piece in its lunar light. Ethereal and touching.

I look forward to joining you all for the July competitions.

Blessed and blessings,
Kathy

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

These comps are amazing because of the entries you have all graciously volunteered. We are very thankful for your participation.

See you at this months hopefully!  And don't forget to vote in the poll!

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/10870/

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Webmiss has been working very hard this morning and has implemented #FedericoGarciaLorca! Please edit your entry themes to reflect such. Thank you again for all your entries honoring Lorca, and congratulations to the winners.

Go to page:
Go to: