Co-Hosts - Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze
Part XIII in an ongoing series introducing serious writers of DUP to the most well-known poets, both classical and modern. Kim Addonizio
( born Kim Addie, July 31, 1954 ) is an American poet and novelist.
Kim Addonizio is the author of poetry collections, novels, story collections, and two books on writing poetry, The Poet’s Companion
with Dorianne Laux and Ordinary Genius
. She has received fellowships from the NEA and Guggenheim Foundation, two Pushcart Prizes, and was a National Book Award Finalist for her collection Tell Me
Her latest books are Mortal Trash: Poems
and a memoir, Bukowski in a Sundress
. She recently collaborated on a chapbook, The Night Could Go in Either Direction
with poet Brittany Perham. Addonizio also has two word/music CDs: Swearing, Smoking, Drinking, & Kissing
with Susan Browne and My Black Angel
Kim's personal website, where you may receive additional inspiration, is: https://www.kimaddonizio.com Guidelines
Write a new poem honoring Addonizio inspired by any one or more of her poems. We feel listing particular poems may be constricting, and want you to follow the inspiration wherever it leads.
Do your best to make us feel as though we are reading poems by Addonizio. The more we feel you "capturing her essence" in "your own words" , the higher you will score. This will involve choice of wording, delivery, subject material, formatting, target audience - a wide range of factors. The Rules
1. One entry per DUP persona.
2. No erotica; this is open to all ages and can't be viewed with an ECW ( Extreme Content Warning ).
3. No exact word limit; however, attempt to keep it no more than 250 - 300.
4. Any form is acceptable ( but studying the poet is advised ).
5. Hashtag your poem #KimAddonizio and link to your poem here. Do NOT copy paste your poem to the competition. The point is to eventually direct visitors searching for Addonizio to your poem via the hashtag we hope will eventually be implemented by the Webmiss.
6. In your poem's notes, provide a link to the poem(s) by Addonizio that inspired yours.
Comp will be judged by Ahavati & JohnnyBlaze, though they will be factoring in my input on each entry as well - while I may be participating with an viable entry of my own. You have one month; best of luck to all entrants.