Forum Posts: 1794

Mientras en el Exilio (While in Exile)

Mientras en el Exilio

¿Cuantas mañanas habrás despertado?
Deseando las escenas de tu propia nación,
De aquella tierra que te vio nacer,
Porque mientras en el exilio el corazón anhela,
Estar en la madre patria otra vez.
¿Habrá sido el sonido en las calles, en las plazas?
Las caras familiares donde hayas crecido,
Los olores de los campos, del mar,  
Del viento que aspira el alma,
Como una acaricia tierna que te trae a casa.
¿Cuantas veces quisiste regresar?
Extender tus alas como la paloma blanca,
Que representa libertad, significando paz,
Dando ánimo, fe y esperanza
Aquellos que te esperaban verte retornar.
Tu poesía ha transcendido el tiempo,
Y seguirá aspirando a otras generaciones,
Porque en las palabras que has escrito,
Vivirás en los corazones de los románticos,
Y en el corazón y orgullo de Chile.

While in Exile

How many mornings did you awake?
Wishing for the scenes of your own country,
From the land which saw you born,
Because while in exile the heart longs,
To be in the motherland again.
Was it the sound in the streets, in the squares?
The familiar faces where you grew up,
The smell of the fields, of the sea,
Of the wind that inspired your soul,
Like a tender caress that brings you home.
How many times did you want to return?
Spreading your wings like a white dove
That represents freedom, meaning peace,
Bringing encouragement, faith and hope
To those who wish you to see your return.
Your poetry has transcended time,
It will continue to aspire other generations,
Because in the words you have written,
You will live in the hearts of romantics,
And at the heart and pride of Chile.

#PabloNeruda
Written by wallyroo92
Go To Page  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14580

Thanks to all for your entries so far.  We have less than 24 hours to go.  Please double-check your entries for spelling, grammar, etc.  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

This was a very difficult comp to judge because of so many spectacular entries! We are blown away by how hard you work to pay tribute to these classic poets.

And no living poet is as famous today as Pablo Neruda was in his lifetime. He was a world figure, as famous as Robert Frost or T.S. Eliot, but with the added cachet in some circles of being politically active. His poetry exerted an enormous influence throughout Latin America, and he remains beloved in his native Chile. We know him for his sensuous songs of love, his tender odes to the sea, his melancholy lyrics of loss and his fiery political statements.

That being said,  the winners are as follows:

Heaven_sent_Kathy, your entry is simply so vivid, it leaves an impact on the mind's eye and lingers there long after the reading. Congratulations on placing First!

ImperfectedStone, your entry is spectacular as well, but Kathy's had a slight edge over yours. Congratulations on placing Second.

PoetsRevenge, your entry was likewise brilliant, but with the most minor of quibbles in that the flow was slightly interrupted by the word "singed" and our attempts to differentiate its usage. Congratulations on placing Third.

Honorable Mentions go to

SophieEricson - while an excellent poem brimming with the essence of Neruda, we felt there was to many commas that interrupted the flow as well as small words and brief lines that weren't reflective of his style.

and

Jade-Pandora - while an excellent poem, we felt that the narration was more self absorbed than Neruda's observations were known for.

Congratulations to the winners, and a special thank you to each for honoring such a prolific poet.  

Don't forget to vote in the current poll to determine the Classic Corner poets we will be paying tribute to in April!

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/10638/

March’s Classic Corner, featuring Denise Levertov and Ralph Waldo Emerson, will be posted ensuing the announcement’s of this month’s winners.  We are posting early so that the comp ends prior to April 1st - when the Official 2019 DUP NaPoWriMo, co-hosted by Ahavati and me, hits the Competition Forum!  Please watch for the Official Sign Up Sheet in the Speakeasy forum today, where we'll be introducing the DUP NaPoWriMo Team and their responsibilities!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Congratulations Kathy, Poppy, and PR for placing.  And to Sophie and Jade for your Honorable Mentions!  Thank you to each entrant for your time and tribute to Neruda.  You humble us with your continued participation in these competitions paying homage to the greats!

Heaven_sent_Kathy
Thought Provoker
United States 9awards
Joined 1st Nov 2017
Forum Posts: 177

I'm stunned... Pablo Neruda, oh gosh... I've read him as long as I can remember. Anything I ever wrote back in the day, I could tell he was in my head.  But with this competition in his tribute, it gave me a chance I haven't taken in years... to revive him in my writing again. And I wish to thank you, JohnnyBlaze and Ahavati, for such a humbling opportunity to honor his work.

Poppy, and PR (if I may address you as such), it's a total honor to be the three of us as having placed at the top (I feel funny saying that), because you both are amazing with your crafting of expressions in words. My congratulations to you both.

And let me not forget those who have garnered Honorable Mentions: to Jade and Sophie, so well done. I'm extremely grateful that the judges have been generous in their choices throughout the Classics series thus far.

And to all who participated. I'd like to think that Neruda would have enjoyed our offerings to the alter of his genius.

(am I starting to sound too grandiose?)

...just Kathy

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

You're very welcome, Kathy.  Your affinity with him was apparent and deserving of the win.  Thank you for such kind words.  📝🏆

Entrants we now have a hashtag for #PabloNeruda.  Please edit your entry themes accordingly.

Thank you.  ❤

ImperfectedStone
The Gardener
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 28awards
Joined 10th Oct 2010
Forum Posts: 1347

HSK, your poem was glorious and vivid, I particularly loved 'The boy with onyx eyes    
raises the    
limp rabbit in offering.    
It was dead.'

Thank you A and JB as always for your efforts and care. Until next we write. P    

AdianBD
The Stranger
Strange Creature
Bangladesh
Joined 3rd Apr 2017
Forum Posts: 1

Things Won't Be The Same
As The Seem To Be..................
At Times We Faced
Human Life Are Always Shown Picture-Perfect
Yet They Are Found Guilt in Their Won living Life

PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States 28awards
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 729

Congratulations to Poppy, Kathy, Jade and Sophie, all the poetry exemplified the unique philosophy of Pablo Neruda and was a pleasure to read..

I found Pablo Neruda's poetry to be eye-opening and it is sure to influence some of my future writings with its depths of vision.  It's great that we will have a hash tag for him and I will definitely want to use it..

Thank you to our hosts for helping us grow in expression and insight :)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

PoetsRevenge said:Congratulations to Poppy, Kathy, Jade and Sophie, all the poetry exemplified the unique philosophy of Pablo Neruda and was a pleasure to read..

I found Pablo Neruda's poetry to be eye-opening and it is sure to influence some of my future writings with its depths of vision.  It's great that we will have a hash tag for him and I will definitely want to use it..

Thank you to our hosts for helping us grow in expression and insight :)

Thank you for that, PR.  It's ecactly the reason we hold these comps.  📝❤

Go to page:
Go to: