#MayaAngelou
Written by wallyroo92
Go To Page  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14656

Thanks to all for your entries so far.  We have less than 24 hours to go.  Please double-check your entries for spelling, grammar, guidelines, etc.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

This was yet another difficult comp to judge.  But, of course, the classics always are.  It’s moving enough that you poets take the time out of your busy schedule to ( in some cases ) study a poet you’ve never read, before writing a heartfelt tribute based on their poetry.  For that we are always humbled, and possess a deep humility and respect for each entrant's entry.  

In regards to judging, in Maya’s case, we sought the essence of firsts, as seemed to be her life.  She possessed a warrior’s spirit, yet a refined expression that encapsulated a gentile nature of an old Southern idiom – you can catch more flies with honey than you can fly-paper.  Undoubtedly she had every right to be angry over the treatment of her heritage as well as herself, yet she presented as a lady first and foremost – always in her poetry despite the difficulty of content.

That being said, the winners are as follows:

ImperfectedStone, there is little to say as to the obvious nature of your win.  We felt you completely captured the essence of “When you come” as though a butterfly in the net. But, more than that, you released it gently back into the wild.  Congratulations on First Place.

PoetsRevenge, you were barely edged out by Poppy.  While capturing the essence of “Still I Rise”, the hindrance was the repetition of “to” ( in S3 & 4 ), 6 times, along with "into".   Unnecessary repetitions of that nature are accounted for in tough judging competitions.  Congratulations on Second Place.

Heaven_sent_Kathy, as PoetsRevenge, you were barely edged out by Poppy and PoetsRevenge as well.  Yours was excellent in the spirit of "Still I Rise".  Unfortunately, the use of ampersands were distracting enough in text; two so close together they seemed somewhat of an eyesore in S4, L14. Again, when competition is tough, such things are taken into account. Congratulations on Third Place.

Honorable mention:

Jade-Pandora, we feel you deserve an Honorable Mention here. Yours started out so strong it pulled the reader completely into the Spirit of “Refusal”; however, the 2nd half feels somewhat divorced from the 1st half, as though there’s a missing bridge.

Rachelle, we also feel you deserve an Honorable Mention.  While the essence is there, the judges felt you borrowed a bit too heavily from "Televised" and thus were swapping out components with similar components.

Congratulations to the winners, and special gratitude and appreciation to each entrant for honoring such a prolific poet.

If you haven’t already, please do not forget to vote in the current poll for April’s Classic Corner poets here:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/10638/

March’s Classic Corner, featuring Denise Levertov and Ralph Waldo Emerson, will be posted ensuing the announcement’s of this month’s winners.  We are posting early so that the comp ends prior to April 1st - when the Official 2019 DUP NaPoWriMo, co-hosted by JohnnyBlaze and me, hits the Competition Forum!  Please watch for the Official Sign Up Sheet in the Speakeasy forum today, where we'll be introducing the DUP NaPoWriMo Team and their responsibilities!

We hope to see you all there!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Congratulations Poppy, PR and Kathy for placing!  And to Jade and Rachelle for your Honorable Mentions!  Thank you to each entrant for your time and tribute to Angelou.  You humble us with your continued participation in these competitions paying homage to the greats!

Heaven_sent_Kathy
Thought Provoker
United States 9awards
Joined 1st Nov 2017
Forum Posts: 177

It took me a few extra minutes to gather myself, my thoughts, and because I had hoped to wait till the other two were able to arrive. But as I'll need to get some rest I'll go ahead and say my piece, which seems surreal, because I've never placed in two competitions (from anywhere for any of my writing) at the same time.

Once again, I'm congratulating the same two  absolutely remarkable poets, and I'm so fortunate, I wish I could say this better... to be "lucky", to stand so close as we share the podium. And this is within reach of those who placed with Honorable Mentions: Jade and Rachelle. To you, Ladies, and to all who participated, what you've all accomplished in this competition, is nothing to be sneezed at.

Oh dear.

...just Kathy

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Thank you for the lovely words, Kathy. 📝🏆

Entrants, we now have a hastag for #MayaAngelou.  Please edit yout entry themes accordingly.  

Thank you.  

PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States 28awards
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 739

Thank you so much, Ahavati and Johnny for the placement honor, I made some changes to my poem to improve it, the advice was really helpful and appreciated.

It wasn't easy to capture the delicate balance between femininity and activism that Maya Angelou achieved, it was a learning experience to try to embody it in a poem, it was empowering..

Congratulations to the other winners, Kathy, Poppy, Jade and Rachelle, great job..

ImperfectedStone
The Gardener
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 28awards
Joined 10th Oct 2010
Forum Posts: 1347

Gosh, everyone was spectacular here and I felt so captured by the challenge. Thank you to all involved but particularly to A and JB for organising. Until next we write. P

Go to page:
Go to: