Lord of the Poems: the Fellowship of the DU

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

Woot woot!  Congratulations, Mary!  Well deserved!  All the entries were great. 🏆

Luna! check out all the NaPoWriMo 2018 prompts!  There are more you might be able to use as comps!

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Congratulations to all the winners!  And my thanks to our host LunasChild for the opportunity because I feel good not only about everyone’s efforts, but also my own. Celebrate, Middle-EarthEnders!

MaryWalker
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 225

LunasChild8 said:First off, a huge thank you to everyone who participated in my competition! I'm so glad to see other Tolkien fans here, and it was quite difficult for me to choose a winner. Alas, here's my explanation:

MaryWalker: Your entry, "Eowyn's Song", is absolutely brilliant. Eowyn is strong and respectable, not afraid to defy the social norms of her time and country. The descriptions you've used provide a fantastic imagery of the battlefield as Eowyn slays enemy after enemy, finding the will to continue on even though her kin die around her. She was meant to fulfill her destiny prophesied by Glorfindel centuries before. For you, shield maiden, I offer thee a shield trophy.  

AEMelia: I adored your poem about Melian the maiar and the most notable events of her long life. I felt the magic that occurred when she first met Thingol and the love they instantly felt for one another. The love and grief that Luthien brought them in life and with her death. Melian's life is bittersweet, and you've captured that element excellently.

AtoMikbomb: Hobbits are such innocent and cute creatures. I personally think that they've been grossly underestimated, and the LOTR trilogy proved it. It's a shame the trauma that Frodo had to go through to the point that he had to sail to Valinor just to life out his life in peace. Gandalf said it best in the first Hobbit move; "Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid, and he gives me courage."

Thank you, Luna!

It's an old poem that has been revised numerous times over the years. I guess it's time to stop fussing with it now?!

Congrats to the Runner Uppers!

MaryWalker
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 225

Ahavati said:Woot woot!  Congratulations, Mary!  Well deserved!  All the entries were great. 🏆

Luna! check out all the NaPoWriMo 2018 prompts!  There are more you might be able to use as comps!

Thank you, T. ❤💕

This 🏆 will go nicely next to my NaPoWriMo 17 trophy! 🏆

OMG! I finally have TWO trophies!

LunasChild8
Dangerous Mind
Canada 21awards
Joined 27th Dec 2017
Forum Posts: 536

What do you guys think: should I create another competition like this? I'd call it: "Lord of the Poems: The Two Covers."

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

LunasChild8 said:What do you guys think: should I create another competition like this? I'd call it: "Lord of the Poems: The Two Covers."

Ha! Totally make it a trilogy!

LunasChild8
Dangerous Mind
Canada 21awards
Joined 27th Dec 2017
Forum Posts: 536

Ahavati said:

Ha! Totally make it a trilogy!

Alright then. As soon as I have a free spot for it, I'll create it. I hope to see you all there. :)

Go to page:
Go to: