Go to page:

Rhyme

LesAngelWi
SSensitiveSoul
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 6th Feb 2011
Forum Posts: 219

I just tried to write a poem in ryhme and I am pretty sure it is the worse poem in history. How do you write in ryhme so it doesnt sound stupid?

rayheinrich
Death Plane for Teddy
Tyrant of Words
Canada 32awards
Joined 4th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 4409

[font=Courier New][size=2]
 1. Read stuff that rhymes and doesn't sound silly.
    Read it until you get a feel for the sound.

2. Learn to use a good rhyming dictionary:
   http://www.writeexpress.com/online2.html
   http://www.rhymezone.com/
   http://rhymebrain.com/
   http://www.wikirhymer.com/

3. Convince yourself it doesn't sound stupid.

poet Anonymous

[quote]LesAngelWi said:
I just tried to write a poem in ryhme and I am pretty sure it is the worse poem in history. How do you write in ryhme so it doesnt sound stupid?

Don't rhyme for the sake of rhyming. Each line should make sense and be fluid with the rest. The trick it to make your poetry sound natural and free flowing, rhyming or not. That's something, I think, we all struggle with at times.

What Neighbor suggested is essential. Use a rhyming dictionary and read a lot of poetry other than what you find on DUP. Most DUP writers dislike rhyme unless it's very well done.

Darkbee
DB
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 29th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 965

I used to rhyme all the time.  Indeed, when I was a kid I believed that's all the poetry there was.  I've since had it (mostly) beaten out of me, save for some humorous pieces, and/or something more tongue n cheek.  Honestly, I think it depends on the subject matter and style of the poem.  Some things are just best left unrhymed.  There's only so many times you can rhyme "fire" with "liar" or "higher" and stay original.

TearlessHatter
Switch.
Lost Thinker
Joined 15th Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 74

There's a way to rhyme stupidly, and a way not to.

For example:
One time
I stepped on a dime
Then realized I couldn't rhyme
So I finished my poem.

See, that sounds stupid. BUT, if you don't rhyme it each line, and add better words, it actually can sound rather nice. Take a Shakespearean sonnet:

"No longer mourn for me when I am dead
Than you shall hear the surly sullen bell
Give warning to the world that I am fled
From this vile world with vilest worms to dwell."

Doesn't sound like shit now, right?

poet Anonymous

Here is a rhyming poem:

Miss Adonelle,
She sure is going straight to hell
I wish her twisted vacant smile bode us all well
Now she lies under my bed, oh what a smell!
Such a diabolical murderous occasion befell
When she was caught dwelling along the ringing diabolical bells
Hearing her last voice against the shrillest demonic yell
The curse that bound her bones forever was actually easy to expel
If only I had heard her cries for help...

Sicx
Thought Provoker
1awards
Joined 18th Oct 2010
Forum Posts: 301

If you find your rhyming silly learn the art of it.

skinnyjean
Llamaliscious
Thought Provoker
New Zealand 6awards
Joined 23rd May 2010
Forum Posts: 311

I find it the complete opposite, I have trouble writing without rhyming, its just bad habit I guess. Heres one of mine that has a simple structure you can't go wrong with if you want to give it a go.

Fallen apart
Two different parts
Trembling in each others presence
Moving apart
Two bursting hearts
Ringing alarms as they drifted
No one in charge
No light in the dark
No stars still shine in the distance
But as they depart
They let go of love
And float away as if they were lifted

xx monnie

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

One of the commonest pitfalls of rhyming poetry is the problem of sacrificing meaning for a rhyme. The writer cannot find a rhyme with the right meaning, so they go for a word which provides the rhyme but has no relevance to the meaning of what has gone before. Another problem that often occurs is that the sentence has to be so twisted about to make the rhyming word appear at the end of the line that it makes the whole expression feel unnatural and forced. To achieve a rhyming poem which doesn't sound like a children's nursery-rhyme, you need a fairly wide vocabulary, but most of all, a sense of what sounds right and what doesn't. Also, a sense of rhythm and line-length is important. I'd recommend looking at someone like Philip Larkin. HIs poems often sound easy and conversational, but when you look closely, you see that he is using a regular rhyme-scheme and an orthodox rhythmic structure. HIs rhythmic variations and ability to let the meaning flow from one line to another without interruption 'mask' the formal structures of the work - it's a very hard trick to pull off.

For examples of the hilarious possibilities of obsessive but insensitive rhyming, read the poetry of William McGonagall.

poet Anonymous

Rhyming is difficult. Most "seasoned" poets (i.e. those who use the technical constructs of poetry) suggest not even trying to use rhyme until you have a working knowledge of meter, the number of beats and stresses.

If you want to rhyme and not make it sound stupid, try writing in meter without rhyme and then rewriting it. Read a quick tutorial on meter or I recommend Mary Oliver's "Rules of the Dance," it's easy to read and understand.

The ballad form is pretty easy to write in.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballad

billy423uk
Thought Provoker
Joined 28th Mar 2010
Forum Posts: 299

practice.

Amandaa
Manda
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 7th June 2011
Forum Posts: 21

Well like what Shaman said, dont rhyme just to rhyme. Make sure each line is filled with emotion and is on the same subject as your poem. When you write one line whatever the last word is, think of words that rhyme with it that have to do with what you are talking about. Ex:
Each time you break my heart [i think of words that rhyme with heart; dart, smart, apart]  
I feel myself falling apart. [connects with the previous sentence]
Idk hope this helps. ;D keep trying. I also find it hard to not rhyme like skinnyjean. Rhyming just comes natural to me. But keep practicing. [;          

skinnyjean
Llamaliscious
Thought Provoker
New Zealand 6awards
Joined 23rd May 2010
Forum Posts: 311

Very well said Amandaa =) ^^

Amandaa
Manda
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 7th June 2011
Forum Posts: 21

Haha thanks skinnyjeans ;D

Gg78
Tyrant of Words
United States 26awards
Joined 5th Mar 2011
Forum Posts: 9051

[quote]Amandaa said:
Well like what Shaman said, dont rhyme just to rhyme. Make sure each line is filled with emotion and is on the same subject as your poem. When you write one line whatever the last word is, think of words that rhyme with it that have to do with what you are talking about. Ex:
Each time you break my heart [i think of words that rhyme with heart; dart, smart, apart]  
I feel myself falling apart. [connects with the previous sentence]
Idk hope this helps. ;D keep trying. I also find it hard to not rhyme like skinnyjean. Rhyming just comes natural to me. But keep practicing. [;          

Agree.. ;)

Go to page:
Go to: