Go to page:

Help out a beginner please!!

flutemouth
Strange Creature
New Zealand
Joined 24th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 5

Hi DU, I'm new to the site here and relatively new to poetry (have been writing for 1-2 years)and was hoping to receive some critique/feedback on what I've written. I have uploaded a couple of my poems and would greatly appreciate any feedback.

thanks,

Flutemouth

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/159215-sleep/

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/159214-names/

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

Welcome, paste one of them up here and I'll have a go at helping you

flutemouth
Strange Creature
New Zealand
Joined 24th Apr 2014

thanks a lot,

'Mitch'

You turn those two syllables into an opera with your velvet voice

I can't help but smile as the sound liberates me from the drudgery of suburban living.

I turn to see you

An idiotic grin stretched across my face

Which you return, but somehow make majestic

One of your many talents.

The sight of you fills me with awe and fear

Like an astronaut falling towards the sun of some far off world

Or a student seeing their teacher at countdown

I am stunned

- Flutemouth

onlywakingexists
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 76

flutemouth said:thanks a lot,

'Mitch'

I can't help but smile as the sound liberates me from the drudgery of suburban living.

I turn to see you

An idiotic grin stretched across my face

Which you return, but somehow make majestic

The sight of you fills me with awe and fear

Like an astronaut falling towards the sun of some far off world

Or a student seeing their teacher at countdown

I am stunned

- Flutemouth

It's not too bad. Here are some whys (and if they have no definite answer, then they weren't necessary in the first place):

Why the spaces between lines? If you punctuate, the reader will pause accordingly. A reader is only as good as they are a writer.

Why the stammer of metaphors toward the end? You can't substitute unrelated imagery for content.

Why. What is the poem about? Is the idea enough? There are little tricks and devices, then there is the great sophistry that is poetry. Which are you stuck to?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

Ok, well its not top shabby at all in my opinion. I'm not sold on the layout or structure but it may work for others.

I can't help but smile as the sound liberates me from the drudgery of suburban living

I like this, I assume two syllables is a reference to rap, maybe use a different couple of words that would indicate his / her art, purely my own opinion and probably biased given I don't really listen to it.

"idiotic" dunno man, I understand the use of it, and accept the honesty of it but it didn't feel right reading it

"but somehow" I'd change that to 'and' cos I think it gives the line more conviction.
"return" I think I'd use reciprocate here, goes nice with face without a forced rhyme feel

"Like an astronaut falling towards the sun of some far off world" not a bad image, I think you should elaborate a little with this, maybe change falling to floating to give it a more space like feel

the last line doesn't do it for me at all, it's a kind of anti climax in comparison to the image above it, maybe think of something that conveys that thought a bit clearer or universal

oh, and get rid of the 'as', maybe use while or when or some other proper word

all in, its really not a bad effort at all

hope that helps  

onlywakingexists
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 76

Also words like 'idiotic' and 'majestic'. They're just boringly obvious and lazy. They can both be explained with images.

flutemouth
Strange Creature
New Zealand
Joined 24th Apr 2014

Thanks for the help guys, I've given it a once over and tried to remedy the points that were mentioned, any more feedback would be greatly appreciated, I feel I have learnt a lot already.

And "countdown" and "newworld" are both big supermarkets over here in New Zealand if its caused any confusion.

Flutemouth

'Mitch'

I turn to see you, a manic grin stretched across my face. Which you reciprocate, but somehow make majestic,

The sight of you fills me with awe and fear, like an astronaut drifting towards the sun of some far off world, or a student seeing their teacher at New World,

I am starstruck

- Flutemouth

JBandekPoetry
LostWords
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 30th May 2014
Forum Posts: 34

I Would like some feedback on my poetry too! I'm a new member, and would appreciate honest criticism.

PussyMonster
Clit Commander
Lost Thinker
Germany
Joined 27th May 2014
Forum Posts: 9

JBandekPoetry said:I Would like some feedback on my poetry too! I'm a new member, and would appreciate honest criticism.

Same goes for me,ive been writing for about a year and still have yet to.see anything other than placation (how can someone learn from that?)

poet Anonymous

I wish new members would realize that the BEST way (and the way this site is designed to work) to get read and get feedback
is to read and comment on the work of others
it is so lazy and somewhat egotistical to forego all that.....
not trying to be mean, this is a point that has been made on here a million times (at least)...

JBandekPoetry
LostWords
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 30th May 2014
Forum Posts: 34

mikimoondancer said:I wish new members would realize that the BEST way (and the way this site is designed to work) to get read and get feedback
not trying to be mean, this is a point that has been made on here a million times (at least)...

sorry... just wanted some advice...as i said im new, and didnt know that so thanks for sharing

anonymouslyhere
Pariah Shadow
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 31st Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 1633

mikimoondancer said:I wish new members would realize that the BEST way (and the way this site is designed to work) to get read and get feedback
If that's the way everyone sees it why does the forum say get advise, help, or critique for your poetry? Why does it exist?

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

There has been a Critique thread set up in this forum since this thread especially for "Critique"

The comment you have questioned was made in February June. Things have moved on since then.

anonymouslyhere
Pariah Shadow
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 31st Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 1633

Magdalena said:There has been a Critique thread set up in this forum since this thread especially for "Critique"

The comment you have questioned was made in February. Things have moved on since then.
It was from june, the member who started this thread hasn't been on here but since april, never the less I didn't realize it was old.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I don't know what made me type Feb, June was in my head.

the member who started this thread hasn't been on here but since april

Yes, and that is often the way.

Go to page:
Go to: