Go to page:

I need a little support I guess....

Koraru
Aerial
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 30th Aug 2009
Forum Posts: 8

I've gotten many compliments on my poetry and have many real life friends as well as family tell me I should try putting my poems into a book and get it published......I've gotten the poems together in a manuscript but I guess I'm slightly unsure as to whether or not I should try when I get the chance and money, maybe I need a little more confidence? *shrugs* So I guess my question is, to those of you who've read my poetry and those of you who will because of this......should I try it? Publishing a book that is....

forever-for_real
Tess Stoops
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 25th Nov 2009
Forum Posts: 18

You should try it. Theres nothing to lose right? I think you could do it

NotWorthIt
Kirsten Furnish
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 7th Mar 2010
Forum Posts: 6

Yeah, you should do it. I'm a friend of Tess's and I've even helped her to try and get her poetry published. I'm not worried about myself though, considering I'm an amatuer writer and dont plan on going anywhere with writing.

Abracadabra
Tyrant of Words
Kiribati 21awards
Joined 13th Nov 2009
Forum Posts: 2661

I think the first thing is to manage your expectations in a realistic way and decide what you hope to achieve from publishing a book of your own poetry - because there can be many reasons for wanting to do so.
Also, I would be asking myself - is this the best work I can ever do, am I still going to improve. Whatever your answers I think to continue writing (and rewriting) is key.
Personally, I would never pay anyone to get published - which a lot of people seem happy to do these days. But good luck with whatever you decide, Aerial.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

Sorry to put a dampener on things, but I would have to agree with Abracadabra when he said "manage your expectations".

You could publish a really fantastic book of your poetry, but how would people find out about it? You'd have to invest a lot of time and money into promoting it.

I think an inexpensive self published book of poetry could be fine for someone who wants a nice gift for friends and family and perhaps to send to some magazines for review. However, I don't think there's any real chance that anyone could make their money back (let alone make any money), certainly in the short term anyway.

Whether you decide to print a book or not, I would strongly advise you to get some individual poems printed in magazines and such like first. This gets your name around a bit, and some notoriety for your poetry, which can't hurt either way!

Keep us posted as to what you decide and how you get on. It's a topic which crops up quite often, so I'm always keen to know how things pan out for people.

venallerima
David C.
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 20th Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 117

A different approach would be using the internet as a means to etablish yourself. Blogging is a highly popular medium and defintiely a cheaper way to get your works circulated. However, forewarning, with the internet as free and open as it is, your works would be highly vulnerable to piracy and plagiarism (coming from a friend's experience, the theif should be beaten by a bloody bat!).

Well, everything has risks. Study the playing field, get information, but by all means do not let the prospect of popularity taint the quality of your works (oh how the music and movie industry had fallen).

Best wishes to your endeavors.

poet Anonymous

I also think its best to approach a book publisher after getting a few of your poems published individually.Read through your verse , many times, see if the feeling is the same as when you wrote it, keep your antenna on, and dont lose heart, the market is ruthless , remember always to write for your own pleasure Aerial:-)

Koraru
Aerial
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 30th Aug 2009

Thank you all so much for your advice. I've actually been looking at a self publishing sight and I can't do it right now since I don't have all the tools. I tried once already but luckily, before I signed the contract, I found out it was a scam so I really lost confidence in myself I guess. Your advice def. helps and I'll also keep you all informed as the webmistress has asked. Thanks again.

Abracadabra
Tyrant of Words
Kiribati 21awards
Joined 13th Nov 2009

Oh yes, be very, very wary, Aerial. Those scammers - and there are lots of them - are just rubbing their hands together waiting to trap unwary, budding authors. Always, always, triple check them out beforehand if it involves parting with any of your hard earned cash.

Koraru
Aerial
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 30th Aug 2009

Yes I got lucky with that company it was Publish america I think, my grandmother was looking online just to see where she'd be able to buy the book and found a LOT of negative feed back.

Abracadabra
Tyrant of Words
Kiribati 21awards
Joined 13th Nov 2009

So Publish America sounds like one to avoid if that's who it was. It might be a good idea to have a list running of the good the bad and the ugly, which people wanting to publish their work can refer to.

Koraru
Aerial
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 30th Aug 2009

That's actually a good idea I think, maybe start a forum post in general or such for it?

sock
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 6th Mar 2010
Forum Posts: 25

Abracadabra
Tyrant of Words
Kiribati 21awards
Joined 13th Nov 2009

They are useful resources, thanks for posting that. Perhaps, I was thinking of something more along the lines of a DUP style "Trip Advisor" that people could add to, based on their own experiences, leaving a rating, etc.
Aerial may have a better idea.

atarliss
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 19th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 70

In my opinion, if you've got a gift (and you obviously do), you should share it with the world! Your poems are too good to keep to yourself. Even if you don't get anywhere at first, it's worth a try. Go for it!

Go to page:
Go to: