Go to page:

member subtitles

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

Either allow members to choose what it says beneath their name or lose it all together. I don't particularly care to be labeled a dangerous mind even if some may think I am. But it should not be something we are stuck with no matter what it is.
JJ

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

would a shake-up of the titles be of any help. might not be a bad idea to have another forum with suggestions for new titles. technically you're not stuck with the dangerous mind, you'll be a Tyrant of words in no time at all

all seriousness aside though. how about some suggestions for a new set of titles. ..everybody chip in with some

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1781

personally I think the names that she chose are very appropriate and make sense.  But I also think is that anyone that gets an increase in their name title should be based on how much their poetry has been read  by others as opposed to how much you're reading.

When u see a name like
Tyrant of words, the explorer thinks
WOW a Tyrant of words!
They must be a great writer...
and pulls up a seat to read
but often times, they are unskilled
in writing.....

I guess  for me the level of my success is my audience,
but if no one's reading my poetry then obviously it must suck
or just not up to par so to speak,
and would drive me to learn to write better to achieve top rank .

Eg: better poetry more reads the faster u achieve better titles..

So for example  just because somebody comments on 5000 poems
and only posts five poems of  
their own they get to become a tyrant of words but can't write worth a shit.
For these people who read more than they write , they should have a name like Page Rider cause they ride others poetry pages by reading ,
or some name like that..

Also,

There are  many amazing writers who stay stuck at a lower leve titlel because they don't post enough on others...

How can you be a tyrant of words
If you don't write?
Something to think about 😺

Again, titles should be given as the poets poetry grows in reads...
JMHO thanks...  

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

We have: HS BS MS PHD MD

There is miss, ms., mrs.
Master,Mr.
Ddvn, RN,CPA,
Cant really change those

But DUP is heard your cry:

Runt of rhyme
Pomegranite of Prose
Heckler of haiku
Tackler of triolets
Letch of limerati

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Zazzles said:

Eg: better poetry more reads the faster u achieve better titles..

So for example  just because somebody comments on 5000 poems
and only posts five poems of  
their own they get to become a tyrant of words but can't write worth a shit.
For these people who read more than they write , they should have a name like Page Rider cause they ride others poetry pages by reading ,
or some name like that..

Also,

There are  many amazing writers who stay stuck at a lower leve titlel because they don't post enough on others...

How can you be a tyrant of words
If you don't write?
Something to think about 😺

the way I understand it, the titles work with the whole system. forum posts, comments, how much you read, how much you comment, how much you write.

its the essence of the site, in that all above interaction is important and encouraged and all the above interaction might lend itself to growth on a couple of levels. commenting may help critique, reading may help writing, forum posts may help understanding. forum posts also include competitions.

so I think  the system is fair enough in that regard, but feel free to voice your opinion if you disagree, its all good  

I think the newbies should have Care-bear titles

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

rabbitquest said:We have: HS BS MS PHD MD

There is miss, ms., mrs.
Master,Mr.
Ddvn, RN,CPA,
Cant really change those

But DUP is heard your cry:

Runt of rhyme
Pomegranite of Prose
Heckler of haiku
Tackler of triolets
Letch of limerati

I wonder, if, taking a leaf out of JJ's suggestion. when members get to the Tyrant stage can we pick a title after the Tyrant criteria is met. ? if that's a  bit of an ask re: coding, would having a base of titles one could pick from be easier. p'rahps we the poets could vote in about fifty titles for a base

example ..any one of the above written by rabbit

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1781

lepperochan said:

the way I understand it, the titles work with the whole system. forum posts, comments, how much you read, how much you comment, how much you write.

its the essence of the site, in that all above interaction is important and encouraged and all the above interaction might lend itself to growth on a couple of levels. commenting may help critique, reading may help writing, forum posts may help understanding. forum posts also include competitions.

so I think  the system is fair enough in that regard, but feel free to voice your opinion if you disagree, its all good  

I think the newbies should have Care-bear titles

well there you have it, that  makes sense what your saying.
lol care bears ! I like Page Riders for top critiquers :)

poet Anonymous

(Fyi, before people think I'm having a go, I'm not. I'm perfectly calm. This is how I type.)

Why as a society, as a world, as a poetry community are we so worried about labels? Am I going to go into the latest published poems, click on a poem, read it and then notice they're a low rank and go "f*ck that, you must be a bad writer" ... of course not. That's the equivalent of me walking past a homeless person and dropping cat sh*t in their begging cup. At the end of the day, it's merely a subjective title. Don't let it sway your view on other people.

A lot of the tyrants here are tyrants simply because they've been members for a long time and have accumulated the correspondence necessary to achieve a rank. There's only a handful of tyrants on this site, and not one of them a bad egg. To be perfectly honest the ones that read more, and read and read and read, and take time to perfect their craft, and don't post every day are generally the people I want to read. How can you call yourself a poet if you don't read, and immerse yourself in poetry? Something to think about.

I agree with Craic, that interaction is the key thing that is being encouraged with these titles. That should be the centre point if this place is to grow and move forward. We should be encouraging participation to help people learn new skills, and gain the hunger we have all learned for words, which is probably why we ourselves joined in the first place.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

I would forever like to be known as Dr. Kenneth Noisewater....

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Okay ... Unlike Missy, I'm not calm in this moment ... My Mets are down 3 games to 1 and at the very least this series should be tied 2 - 2 but wtf ... There are no should bes in life ...

For me ... who gives a rat's ass about titles ... Or as Missy says "labels" ... It's about interaction as 'twas said by Craic ...

When I first got here I was floored how Rose Lookawaynow painted a scene with rich vivid characters (so I "stole"from her) ... HadesRising, yeah I steal his shit too (he says there are no limits, no taboos - nothing's forbidden) - Poetspeak and dartford, they both have acidic wit and satirical insights on life, so yeah - I steal from them too ... Kate - Chiyo - I love the way they paint with words - so yup - I steal from them too ...

Savaja - Rain - my poetic sisters who always tell me what's what ... Case - my Brotha, a "beautiful bastard" (something I stole from Missy Sub) - Case always makes me say "I wish I wrote that" ... Missy a wordsmith ...

... Zazzles - one of her comps made me write a piece I'm damn proud of - wouldn't have done it otherwise, like so many other great comp hosts here ...

I could name another 30 or 40 folk but I'm hungover and pissed ...

To hell with titles ... Read & comment, read & comment and grow

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Sounds like a demand more than a suggestion.   I did suggest customized profiles for those who support DU, but no one got back to it, this could be part of it, if possible, if not, no big deal.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011

Well, I think I write a lot, read a lot and comment a lot. I'm not sure how that equates to a dangerous mind or where that ranks on whatever ranking system I wasn't even aware of after 4 years on this site, I just don't care for the sound of it. Maybe it's because a born-again Christian once told me my poetry is dangerous because it will cause good Christians to lose their faith.

There must be something about the way people read my words that makes them see them as demands. I write suggestions in plain simple language so as not to be misunderstood. It was not an angry demand, even though I did write it after my Mets lost in typical Mets fashion. That could be my problem, I've been a Mets fan for 46 years and don't have a lot to show for it.
Anyway, where is his ranking system explained? Maybe being a dangerous mind is a good thing, I really don't know. But I would be happy if it just said "poet", or perhaps "genius" lol...
JJ

poet Anonymous

johnrot said:I would forever like to be known as Dr. Kenneth Noisewater....

No problem, Kenneth!

and Lobo... told you the term 'you beautiful bastard' would enhance your life at some point. It's a highly under rated phrase

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Poetryman said:

It was not an angry demand, even though I did write it after my Mets lost in typical Mets fashion. That could be my problem, I've been a Mets fan for 46 years and don't have a lot to show for it.

JJ

OMG! "... typical Mets fashion ... " WTF!

Fess up ... You're one of those guys that turned the set off in '86 during Game 6 because there is nothing typical about the Mets - that's why they're so beloved - even in the bitter moments ...

I have all kinds of autographed memorabilia signed by the '86 and '69 teams; and I want them to pull this out for Wright ... I was at the one game they won in the 2000 Series against the Evil Empire, he deserves a better fight for a ring than that ...

LET'S GO METS!

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011

No, I am a gltton for punishment. I loved watching the ball go through Bill Buckner's legs as much as any moment of my life! I am also a Jets fan and a Rangers fan. In my lifetime they have each won one championship. At least the Mets have two. But at 52, I'm running out of time for more. I want David to win this year and a few more before he retires.

I want them to at least make it exciting, but winning is the only thing that will satisfy me at his point. I wasn't even expecting them to get in the playoffs this year, so I should be happier, it's just hard to get this close and watch them collapse.
Let's Go Mets!

LobodeSanPedro said:

OMG! "... typical Mets fashion ... " WTF!

Fess up ... You're one of those guys that turned the set off in '86 during Game 6 because there is nothing typical about the Mets - that's why they're so beloved - even in the bitter moments ...

I have all kinds of autographed memorabilia signed by the '86 and '69 teams; and I want them to pull this out for Wright ... I was at the one game they won in the 2000 Series against the Evil Empire, he deserves a better fight for a ring than that ...

LET'S GO METS!

Go to page:
Go to: