Page:

like notifications

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

I would like it if we could get notifications that a poem has been liked. If no one leaves a comment but a poem gets a few likes, I might miss the likes and never realize it happened. Sometimes an older poem will get liked, but I don't go back to look at how many likes a poem has, nor would I remember how many it had the last time I looked. It would be nice if we just got a notification in our updates that it happened, even if it is anonymous. It would be even better if the "liker" had the option to be identified or not. I know that I sometimes like poems without commenting for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes I comment without liking a poem as well. The writer has no way to know if the likes came from a commenter or another person. If you get 5 comments and 5 likes, you can't tell if it was all from the same 5 people od 10 different readers.
JJ

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

you have got to be shitting me ? for real, you wanna know who liked your poem  ...come on man!  don't you see, the whole dynamics of liking a poem will be gone to shit. people will like your poems just so you'll know that they liked your poem. liking will lose all it's integrity. ...bad move, amigo

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16221

I tend to agree with Lepp here, Poetryman. The number of likes your poem have is available on the page. Having a notification and identifying the 'liker' seems rather fussy for want of a better word.  
Unless one intend to write a thank you note to the person concerned.    

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011

Because I respect you both I won't say what I really want to say about reading what I wrote without actually reading what I wrote. I suggest it be an option to not say who the person is. I said they can remain anonymous. I do not need to know who liked a poem, I just want to be aware that it happened. Apologies accepted in advance!
JJ

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Apologies if I misread but I thought thats what you meant. I still think it fussy but let me put that to admin. Thanks Poetryman.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

yeah, my apologies. missed the annon bit. ...and frankly it disturbs me that Grace ripped the entrails out of your idea like that ..she's feral I tell ya!

..happy holidays n whatnot  

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Happy Holidays, Poetryman. And Lepp.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011

Thanks. And I think of Grace as a good friend, I know she meant well... peace, jj

SirCreepy
Colten Sorrells
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 13th Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 375

Good idea

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

A nice tweak would be to have it notify in bulk: "poem 'x' has been liked 10 times today" rather than spamming the updates with micro-management of single steps. Another tweak could be that the poet who liked (likee?) is auto-set to remain anonymous, unless they manually select each time: a slight inconvenience to make attention hoggers all too apparent.

Really, the audacity of some people here. They politely suggest an idea, open it to debate and modification, listen to replies and the words of the Guardian-mods, recieve sarcasm and demi-abuse, expect concrete or instant in return, and seek to change DU hopefully for the better.
I mean, really. Bless their hearts and minds, and pass the word.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Viddax said:A nice tweak would be to have it notify in bulk: "poem 'x' has been liked 10 times today" rather than spamming the updates with micro-management of single steps. Another tweak could be that the poet who liked (likee?) is auto-set to remain anonymous, unless they manually select each time: a slight inconvenience to make attention hoggers all too apparent.

Really, the audacity of some people here. They politely suggest an idea, open it to debate and modification, listen to replies and the words of the Guardian-mods, recieve sarcasm and demi-abuse, expect concrete or instant in return, and seek to change DU hopefully for the better.
I mean, really. Bless their hearts and minds, and pass the word.

The notifications are good but actually if you really want to keep tab on the likes your poems evoked just go to your page click on alphabetical order and then on the poems most like. And you get it. It requires a bit of work...sorry about that. The liker stays anonymous though.
Change may come...Betterment of DU is ongoing. You never know whats you gonna get.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

Although that is a handy feature Grace, it does require backtracking and informs after the event rather than as it happens. Such a display did not occur for me: I could see the amount of likes but not in like order. (Not that I am particularly bothered about the information.)

Just as there are those who want change on DU, there are those who will fight it tooth and nail to go back to the old way, and then there are those who want another change.
As such there is no win situation, but there is a bloody good journey of development.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

A little bit of work, I'm afraid but the information is still there, Viddax. No nail or tooth for this one. Improvement is ongoing as always.

Page:
Go to: