Go to page:

Nonexistent Members

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

lepperochan said: dunno whether to cry or pray for marshal law in your area, Bo

I don't see the problem. non existent people aren't harming anyone or causing any impedance to any writers growth. people come and go then come back. there could be any reason for someone being absent and people can grow fond of their work. having it deleted with no prior warning would be a bit shitty in my book.    

I think that any accounts in question of deletion, should at least have an email sent to the account holder, inquiring if they would like to keep their account active.  That's only cordial and proper, as opposed to just giving them the ax out of the blue.  But in all of this, it's really up to the Webmiss how she wants the page to be run, and account deletion was only a suggestion/topic of discussion--doesn't mean it's going to actually happen.  

poet Anonymous

sw9618 said:And I understand peoples' hesitancy to delete accounts, one might wakeup one morning and decide to log back on although it's been over a year, I was just picking all your brains. My opinion is that okay fine, after around the two year mark, members are not obviously coming back.

You don't research enough cases to make such a claim. I have a second account that I have deactivated fro personal reasons...and if I decide not to open it for two years, I STILL don't want it deleted. And I don't feel a need to explain why.

I do think a note to the holder of the account should be sent by webmiss first, asking if they want it kept open.

poet Anonymous

AH2 said:[quote-264801-sw9618]And I understand peoples' hesitancy to delete accounts, one might wakeup one morning and decide to log back on although it's been over a year, I was just picking all your brains. My opinion is that okay fine, after around the two year mark, members are not obviously coming back.

You don't research enough cases to make such a claim. I have a second account that I have deactivated fro personal reasons...and if I decide not to open it for two years, I STILL don't want it deleted. And I don't feel a need to explain why.

I do think a note to the holder of the account should be sent by webmiss first, asking if they want it kept open. [/quote]

Yes personal reasons I am not aware of and that may influence people not returning, but after 2 years...really?
But I also agree the webmiss should send an email out wondering if the member would ever return.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

You know, if I find a poet interesting,
Often I can click on a poet they follow,
and a poem honored in their reading list,

and it becomes a reading adventure that is very
spiritual, to travel from one reccomendation to another
to read poems that have given people the strength to carry on

this great web of connections, lands us occastionally on the page of, say,
an 80 year old man that has not logged on in two years, because they sent him off
to the old folks home, where you cannot have your own phone, or any belongings,
as they shuffle you from one room to the next each week, to keep you from 'settling in'

That centuries from now,  
After the great starvation,
that people in our distant future can take a peep,
Into our simpler, happy time,
to explore the poets we honored by following them,
to click on them,
and see where that leads,
to enrich their world view by what we wrote

Did you ever get saved by a poem on this site,

is that poem timeless, or should it expire after one year?

poet Anonymous

I understand that the members poems will be deleted as well, if the webmiss terminates the account, however, if the poem means that much to you, there is nothing stopping you from copying and pasting that poem, as long as you don't claim it as your own and list the username as the poet. But, my point was, that after a certain time it's obvious that member is not coming back and that the webmiss should contact said member or at least put their accounts or registration into a folder, like a virtual storage locker of some sort. But, as long as they're not taking up virtual space, I suppose members who haven't been here like in two years can still access the account. I was just picking everyone's brain is all.

Dirtfarm
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 20th Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 174

I follow John rot’s jesus in the box! Everyone else becomes shadowy figures in the background. Come drink the cool aid and get a magical windup jesus in the box.  

Dirtfarm
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 20th Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 174

Ok, in all seriousness all this started because you decided to do an “ancestry” trace on who is following you on DUP. Truth is my man folks come and go here and in all aspects of life. They may come back someday, but don’t give 2 shakes of the penis about that. If you enjoy writing and are here for that then rock on sir. If not and you only want friends that will follow you daily, then you might be in for heart break. Stand proud you had/have someone at one time on here that clicked to follow you. Hell they may have read your work and said fuck it I quit cause your work is that damn good, or your work could have turned them against poetry all together. Either way follow your path and believe in yourself first, because others will always let you down at some point.  

poet Anonymous

Dirtfarm said:Ok, in all seriousness all this started because you decided to do an “ancestry” trace on who is following you on DUP. Truth is my man folks come and go here and in all aspects of life. They may come back someday, but don’t give 2 shakes of the penis about that. If you enjoy writing and are here for that then rock on sir. If not and you only want friends that will follow you daily, then you might be in for heart break. Stand proud you had/have someone at one time on here that clicked to follow you. Hell they may have read your work and said fuck it I quit cause your work is that damn good, or your work could have turned them against poetry all together. Either way follow your path and believe in yourself first, because others will always let you down at some point.  

I think you're taking what I wrote in my first post way in another, incorrect direction. "you only want friends that will follow you daily, then you might be in for heart break." That is not the reason I joined DU and that is certainly not the reason why I started this thread. Out of complete curiosity I wanted to know who was following me, this had nothing to with some need of mine or dependency of other people and that they're following me or not to have self-pride about my poetry. I am a great poet because I believe in myself as should every other member here, I love writing and have been writing for years. Again, you took this in a complete opposite direction. I started this thread innocently, not because some members who are following me haven't shown up in a long time and I feel neglected and believe that member should be punished---no. I appreciate those who follow me, truly, their support means a lot, but they don't have such influence one me that will lead to "heart break." I am here to write and receive feedback, not to socialize and pray people follow me for my own self-esteem.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

..that's settled then. the absent people stay. good stuff, I knew you'd embrace the light.

just out of curiosity, what direction would you have liked the thread to have gone. because you don't really give any kind of an explanation for your thoughts. more a kind of narration of events leading up to them. it's probably just the way you word things that cause a tad confusion. there's every chance that most people who really read your opening post could have come to think that you were indeed scornful about absent members even though that is the total opposite of what you meant. take that for instance. 'it's the total opposite of what I meant' that would mean you were over the moon, absolutely delighted at your discovery of absent members.

say what you mean and mean what you say because it'll go a long way towards some clarity.

hope that helps        

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

cats are dead in the box when you ain't looking,
but open that bitch and get your face scratched

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:..that's settled then. the absent people stay. good stuff, I knew you'd embrace the light.

just out of curiosity, what direction would you have liked the thread to have gone. because you don't really give any kind of an explanation for your thoughts. more a kind of narration of events leading up to them. it's probably just the way you word things that cause a tad confusion. there's every chance that most people who really read your opening post could have come to think that you were indeed scornful about absent members even though that is the total opposite of what you meant. take that for instance. 'it's the total opposite of what I meant' that would mean you were over the moon, absolutely delighted at your discovery of absent members.

say what you mean and mean what you say because it'll go a long way towards some clarity.

hope that helps        

What do you mean by embrace the light. You say, say what you mean and mean what you say, well, take your own advice. By saying "embrace the light" you imply I was in some sort of darkness. I re-read my first post and I disagree, I do not seem scornful towards DU members who haven't logged on in some time. I just wanted to pick everyone's brains about whether or not they should keep their accounts if they have no intention of coming back since some of them haven't been here in over a year, hell over two years. I was also wondering if they take up virtual space or add to some unneeded stress for the Webmiss. That's all. And in terms of direction of the thread, there was no conclusion I wanted to reach or specific point I wanted someone to make. Again, I wanted opinions about members who haven't been here in a very long time is all. Nothing came from a place of negativity.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

I've no apatite to argue with you SW.

My real suggestion is that, if a DUP member has not been logged-in for at least a year, should his/her account be terminated, because by that time, it's safe to say that that said member isn't coming back.

so that's your real suggestion and a suggestion is not a question as I'm sure you're aware. so essentially you're suggesting that members have their accounts deleted. because according to your logic they'll not be returning. in my opinion the deleting of poems on such a large scale regardless of the profiles attached may well be DU's equivalent of burning the library of Alexandra  ..which would (in my opinion) place you in darkness.  

poet Anonymous

in...peek
oops, more B.S.
out

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:I've no apatite to argue with you SW.

My real suggestion is that, if a DUP member has not been logged-in for at least a year, should his/her account be terminated, because by that time, it's safe to say that that said member isn't coming back.

so that's your real suggestion and a suggestion is not a question as I'm sure you're aware. so essentially you're suggesting that members have their accounts deleted. because according to your logic they'll not be returning. in my opinion the deleting of poems on such a large scale regardless of the profiles attached may well be DU's equivalent of burning the library of Alexandra  ..which would (in my opinion) place you in darkness.  

What you highlighted in bold should've been in question form..."...is it safe to say that that said member isn't coming back"?

That I admit is my mistake and I will fix.

And you raise a good point about the "library of Alexandra." I understand where you're coming from. If you mean darkness as in ignorance, then yes, I was ignorant, but not on purpose obviously. I do not desire all of DU's poems to be deleted from the "library." Again, I made that suggestion because of the Webmiss, I was also wondering if virtually that extra data taken up can cause issues or extra costs, if not, then never mind...I said I wasn't web savvy. No harm no foul Lepperochan.

poet Anonymous

mikimoondancer said:in...peek
oops, more B.S.
out

Not B.S.
No Miki you're wrong. Disagreements and conversation about a genuine question I had and other member's thoughts does not equal B.S.

Go to page:
Go to: