Go to page:

Nonexistent Members

poet Anonymous

This thread was started innocently, and clearly I struck a chord with many members, if I acted immaturely, I am sorry.

But it is safe to say, let's just put it all behind us.

sw

Juliet_Disguised
JaneDoe
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 68

well I disappeared off this website for over a year because I just got too busy and I don't we should delete their accounts.
I also had a lot of personal issues going on preventing me from getting on here.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

I think a voluntary membership fee is a good idea to help contribute to the cost of running this site--give what you can but you don't have to at all either. Inactive accounts--good arguments on both sides of that but I'd bump it to two years--more likely of a no-show at that point as opposed to just one year.

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1779

I defiantly would not welcome that at all! It was discussed some time ago about paying for membership but that has come to pass. I think part of the beauty to this site is knowing no matter when, this place is always here.
Life has ups and downs , there are many bumps in the road, but certainly this shouldn't be one of em.
If this site became worrisome I think it would lose a lot of good writers!
JMHO

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

A year seems a bit short and flippant when considering the average bod' may well have around 80 years to get under their belt. Plus a year might mean the members who needed some time out and are actually rather good find their legacy obliterated.

Personally I pay no attention to the supposed members number and instead think there are around 1000 actual members and about say 300 or 400 who are busy on the forums. That, and the regular visits and words by the actual members more than makes up for the spectres at the feast.

Though a cull of the utterly apparent place holders may well do DU some good, so bringing it up is not an alltogether bad thing to get you shouted down for.

3ampoems
Celine Belli
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 4awards
Joined 12th Nov 2009
Forum Posts: 67

I believe, if there were to be some sort of termination to accounts, it has to be abandoned for over a year AND have hardly any poems/comments/follows. This would mean there is a clear lack of motivation to use the site. Please correct me if there are people who disappeared with not a lot of material but came back to it!

I don't believe in deactivating once frequent users because you never know what could've happened to them, and if something unfortunate was to have happened to our members, I believe their poems should forever still be here as proof of their writings, as that would be the most respectful thing to do.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1530

I don't like the idea of deleting members poems because there are some very fine poems by members who stopped signing on for whatever reason. Some may even have died, but they may have wanted their poems to live on beyond their bodies. For some a body of work may be all that remains as a reminder of their life. But even if a person just decided not to participate anymore, having their poems to read can be a nice reminder to those of us who miss them. And sometimes people come back after a long absence without having saved their poems. I have seen that happen on other sites with this policy. Nothing breaks the heart more than to lose all your poems because you didn't know there was a time limit. JJ

poet Anonymous

Whoa Brother..I can't say what's right or wrong for anyone else..as for me its taken some time to decide on an ultimate path.
Finally...I've enjoyed sharing with so many of you. It's really been a cherished experience but things inevitably change and for me
its time to go. I suppose I've known for awhile but have hesitated to cut the cord.
Maybe I'm not the only one..?
It might not be right to
make that decision for someone who needs the time. On the other hand, if there is some expense to the Webmiss for those who don't sign in for a while..?
I'd expect to be deleted.
Farewell my friend/s, be well :)

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1779

nopoetiknow said:Whoa Brother..I can't say what's right or wrong for anyone else..as for me its taken some time to decide on an ultimate path.
Finally...I've enjoyed sharing with so many of you. It's really been a cherished experience but things inevitably change and for me
its time to go. I suppose I've known for awhile but have hesitated to cut the cord.
It might not be right to
make that decision for someone who needs the time. On the other hand, if there is some expense to the Webmiss for those who don't sign in for a while..?

Are you really saying goodbye? Your words will be missed!
Take care and maybe you'll come back.
peace Nopoetiknow

poet Anonymous

nopoetiknow said:Whoa Brother..I can't say what's right or wrong for anyone else..as for me its taken some time to decide on an ultimate path.
It might not be right to

R u really leaving??? It was a pleasure NPIK...

poet Anonymous

And I understand peoples' hesitancy to delete accounts, one might wakeup one morning and decide to log back on although it's been over a year, I was just picking all your brains. My opinion is that okay fine, after around the two year mark, members are not obviously coming back.

Juliet_Disguised
JaneDoe
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 68

MadameLavender said:I think a voluntary membership fee is a good idea to help contribute to the cost of running this site--give what you can but you don't have to at all either. Inactive accounts--good arguments on both sides of that but I'd bump it to two years--more likely of a no-show at that point as opposed to just one year.

This is a good idea

BoFantastic
Thought Provoker
7awards
Joined 24th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 333

I hope not. I really like this one girl's poetry, and if her account gets deleted, I'm freeking leaving. I have no point of being here, other than to rekindle or kindle reciprocation with her. Some flames can never be put out. I feel this is one of those eternal flames. Lord help me!

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

if nobody lookin. nobody sees you dyin in that box. i know it's gay,and cliche but sorry kittens, it's basic physics......
every time i fall and die...i yell look out bitches. but somebody always gets debris in they eye.......
even if the box is closed, somebody is watchin.............

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

dunno whether to cry or pray for marshal law in your area, Bo

I don't see the problem. non existent people aren't harming anyone or causing any impedance to any writers growth. people come and go then come back. there could be any reason for someone being absent and people can grow fond of their work. having it deleted with no prior warning would be a bit shitty in my book.    

Go to page:
Go to: