poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Chandler
Gleana Snipoms
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 8th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 270

A chatroom sounds like a lovely idea. Being able to communicate more efficiently and quickly would be beneficial. Goodness, I just realized I speak like someone from the eighteen-hundreds or so, ha.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16186

Past lives catching up on you Chandler. But yes I am so much hoping for a chat room. Easy to chat with others.

Istra
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 14th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 32

A chat room would be great, a quicker and easier form of communication with your fellow artists. Easier to bounce ideas off each other, all that. That would be awesome!

blueeyes415263
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 9th July 2010
Forum Posts: 78

it's got my vote!

Jordanne
RubixCube
Thought Provoker
Jamaica 2awards
Joined 14th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 169

Private Messaging is quite a pain at times.

Vote: YES!

KingSchmoe
wangzijie
Thought Provoker
Mongolia
Joined 28th Feb 2011
Forum Posts: 545

This is a great idea, and I'm all for it, but none of you know how hard it is to code a chat box. Not so much that, but where would she put it on the site? Have a new tab? No one would go to it. Have it just lying about? No one would see it, or it would be too big and take up too much space. And someone said something about a real-time shoutbox... I hate those things On top of that, they're even harder to code than chatboxes IMO. But that's what I think anyway. If you guys have any suggestions on where the chatbox would go, please be my guest to one-up me.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

Considering how long it takes for this site to refresh pages and post poems, I have to wonder if such a thing as "real time" exists in this hemisphere of cyber space. But a chat room might be worth a try. I haven't done chat rooms since the old days of AOL back in the day. It was crazy in those rooms, chaos most of the time. When you found someone worth chatting with, you had to go to PM's. Hmm, the grass is always greener... jj

Danii
Tyrant of Words
United States 5awards
Joined 27th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 5152

yes it would be easier than refreshing the page to go to your inbox

Danii
Tyrant of Words
United States 5awards
Joined 27th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 5152

like i love my ps3 and im always on psn and the chat on there

Jordanne
RubixCube
Thought Provoker
Jamaica 2awards
Joined 14th Oct 2011

Chandler said:A chatroom sounds like a lovely idea. Being able to communicate more efficiently and quickly would be beneficial. Goodness, I just realized I speak like someone from the eighteen-hundreds or so, ha.

dont worry

so do i, my friends think i has issues but wait i do

Jordanne
RubixCube
Thought Provoker
Jamaica 2awards
Joined 14th Oct 2011

KingSchmoe said:This is a great idea, and I'm all for it, but none of you know how hard it is to code a chat box. Not so much that, but where would she put it on the site? Have a new tab? No one would go to it. Have it just lying about? No one would see it, or it would be too big and take up too much space. And someone said something about a real-time shoutbox... I hate those things On top of that, they're even harder to code than chatboxes IMO. But that's what I think anyway. If you guys have any suggestions on where the chatbox would go, please be my guest to one-up me.

I have NO idea about coding but it makes sense to me in my head if the option was put in the "online now" section on the left. And when you hover over the icon to give you the option to 'view profile' or 'start chat'

Sound sensible enough doesnt it but um yh as i said idk anything about coding.

Jordanne
RubixCube
Thought Provoker
Jamaica 2awards
Joined 14th Oct 2011

Jordanne said:[quote-55905-Chandler]A chatroom sounds like a lovely idea. Being able to communicate more efficiently and quickly would be beneficial. Goodness, I just realized I speak like someone from the eighteen-hundreds or so, ha.

dont worry

so do i, my friends think i have issues but wait i do[/quote]

KingSchmoe
wangzijie
Thought Provoker
Mongolia
Joined 28th Feb 2011
Forum Posts: 545

[font=Tahoma] Jordanne said:[quote-59722-KingSchmoe]This is a great idea, and I'm all for it, but none of you know how hard it is to code a chat box. Not so much that, but where would she put it on the site? Have a new tab? No one would go to it. Have it just lying about? No one would see it, or it would be too big and take up too much space. And someone said something about a real-time shoutbox... I hate those things On top of that, they're even harder to code than chatboxes IMO. But that's what I think anyway. If you guys have any suggestions on where the chatbox would go, please be my guest to one-up me.

I have NO idea about coding but it makes sense to me in my head if the option was put in the "online now" section on the left. And when you hover over the icon to give you the option to 'view profile' or 'start chat'

Sound sensible enough doesnt it but um yh as i said idk anything about coding.[/quote]

Again, it goes back to the issue of having to open another page so no one would go to it. I think DUP should get a Xat! :DD Incredibly annoying thing, but easy enough to use and implement.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

There are a number of issues I can foresee with the addition of a chat room (which probably goes some way to explaining why very few chat rooms seem to exist anymore, despite the fact that internet usage has grown massively).
[color=Black]
- Too few participants and nothings going on.
- Too many participants and the conversation becomes hard to follow.
- Attracts spammers.
- Attracts trolls, cyber-bully and so forth.
- Related to the points above; people are less accountable for their actions (while chats may be archived, the business of searching through these archives in order to find incidents of bad behaviour may be time consuming).
- Again related to the above points; chat rooms typically need the constant presence of a moderator. People may not realise the extent of the awesome work that DU Poetry moderators already do here. For example, they are kept busy with checking "extreme content", checking images and videos added to poems and of course dealing with forum issues.

I hope my thoughts don't come as a disappointment. There are certainly things in the pipeline aimed at helping members communicate with one another more easily...

- I plan to give members the opportunity to start their own groups, although as yet I haven't thought extensively about how this might work. Ideas welcome.

- I want to improve the private messaging system. Perhaps making it more like a instant messaging system that allows people to communicate with each other more immediately via some kind of chat box.

It's also worth mentioning that DU Poetry is currently on a shared web host to keep costs down (hence why the website can sometimes run slower than other times). As DU Poetry grows it may be that we need to move to some kind of dedicated web server, which would allow me more flexibility to build in these kind of features.
[/color]

Go to page:
Go to: