reality and unreality - and
very unfamiliar familiarities
around the 'other' city...

Beautiful_Enigma
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 30th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 101

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch... I read this book before he passed away, and when he did, I cried like he was someone I had known his whole life and will miss for the rest of mine...

curious_1
Strange Creature
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3

Magic, by Raymond Feist.

mebo
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 22nd Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 19

Riddley Walker, by Russel Hoban
the degraded, changed language in a de-volved post nuclear world has the human heart and mind and the English tongue circling back towards an almost middle English rediscovering the same myths, suspicions, desires, lusts, needs, as we do every day; it gets at the heart of human by cleaving the human world like the atom was cloven.

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

The Nature Of Personal Reality by Jane Roberts

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

If you want a book that has changed my life it is The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy it showed me a very different and original writing style few can perfect. Also The Hobbit by JRRT

JittrbugPrfume
. . .
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 9th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 73

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Tom Robbins

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 332

Rovering to Success by Robert Baden-Powell - helped me in early teens stay clear of drink and smoking (drugs was not the issue it is when published in 1920s) and alerted me to dangers of STD (then known as VD) before teachers did. My dad, an ex Scout leader, had this book from scouting days.

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

no one here gets out alive- the biography of Jim Morrison

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1028

The Way of Chuang Tzu, transliterated by Thomas Merton... opened up Merton to me and the connections of mystic faiths...

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

"like the singing coming off the drums" - Sonia Sanchez

My first poetry book, sent to me as a gift (when I began my studies of Eastern poetry), which consequently was a definite turning point in my life in every way possible.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16221

I believe Taylor Caldwell's books opened up my mind. I 'discovered; her as a teenager. One of her books that 'turned me' was The Great Lion of God which was about Saint Paul. I read many of her books afterwards including 'The Search for a Soul: Taylor Caldwell's Psychic Lives.' This was written by Jess Stearn.

Kou_Indigo
Karam L. Parveen-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2796

Definitely the Nag Hammadi Library, which is a large collected volume typically sold as a massive trade paperback and which contains the largest assortment of Gnostic spiritual teachings in existence. Reading that most certainly expanded the knowledge of Gnosticism I already held, and also helped me in my further studies of that particular blend of spirituality. The things I learned in those teachings helped a lot when I became a Gnostic High Priestess, and I find much of it invaluably useful when teaching Gnosticism to others. For the modern Gnostic, it really is required reading!

Go to page:
Go to: