Go to page:

Writers Block

jumbokitten
Alice Insanity
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 2nd May 2014
Forum Posts: 12

Recently, I have drawn a blank when I pick up the pen (or open the computer) and I need some ideas. Themes, Objects, anything makes a poem really. I've tried writing in different categories or even a different style, but so far, nothing. Please help!

KDAmB
Tyrant of Words
Australia 13awards
Joined 5th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 6358

It appears you are going through a blank page syndrome. I believe you know pretty well about the writers block, give the coping strategies described on the following page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writer's_block

poet Anonymous

Take a walk. Meet a friend for
Coffee. Cook. Fall in love. Do some gardening. Look at the stars. Hug a stranger. Order a burger. Squelch some mud. Walk barefoot in the rain. Sing in the shower.

Poetry can be found anywhere.  Get outside of your comfort zone.

jumbokitten
Alice Insanity
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 2nd May 2014
Forum Posts: 12

Thanks guys, I've been kinda stressed lately too...maybe that factors.

Me3219
Strange Creature
Joined 27th Oct 2015
Forum Posts: 3

Sure that's a factor,  I don't write to write, I write to release emotions,  I find being drunk helps with that (if you over the legal age of the country your based in of course)

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Try the DUP competitions, there great springboards and are open to all styles.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

LobodeSanPedro said:Try the DUP competitions, there great springboards and are open to all styles.

Exactly. Nothing says get off your ass more than a deadline and the opportunity to show off your talents in the forum.

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

Here is some great advice watch as much as possible. Movies, television series and You tube. If you're worried about making original work; bad news an original thought does not exist. What you have written has been written 100 hundred times over. That being said our public does not know this or chooses to ignore it. It is your job to know the hidden gems in the art world to use it to your advantage.

In other words watch at least two episodes or one new movie a day. Yes insanity is a side effect but your writers block will fade.

Now a Mr T quote " Some people can't run as fast me that is why I invented the motorway"  

XSwan-SongX
Strange Creature
Joined 13th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3

All these suggestions are good! I would add that personally, I find going outside for a walk helps, meeting friends or trying something new can inspire new ideas for poems. Another idea is to make a 'word journal', which is where you write down words you like and make a poem based on them.

iowahuman
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 19th Oct 2015
Forum Posts: 42

read something new

mysteriouslady
Tyrant of Words
United States 15awards
Joined 11th Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 2461

jumbokitten said:Recently, I have drawn a blank when I pick up the pen (or open the computer) and I need some ideas. Themes, Objects, anything makes a poem really. I've tried writing in different categories or even a different style, but so far, nothing. Please help!

Dont force it. It will flow once again when the time is right. Google a silly picture or listen to music out of your taste. It will come to you. It always does.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1028

jumbokitten said:Thanks guys, I've been kinda stressed lately too...maybe that factors.

yes, stress sends my OCD brains into thought loops, shuts everything down... or did, I started to write about how stress felt, tangibly (demon claws forever resting on the back of my neck).  For me it was important to see ink stain paper... and i agree about the competitions... it gives you a free space to engage with somebody else's ideas...

I send good thoughts your way.

xXxDarkKittyxXx
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 29th Sep 2013
Forum Posts: 5

I find this to be really great advice because I've been going through the same exact thing only I've been trying to find something original, as you had previously said. My problem comes to finding a movie that will captivate me or draw me in. I intend to write more expressive anger poems or something perhaps about music but just don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1028

xXxDarkKittyxXx said:I find this to be really great advice because I've been going through the same exact thing only I've been trying to find something original, as you had previously said. My problem comes to finding a movie that will captivate me or draw me in. I intend to write more expressive anger poems or something perhaps about music but just don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

This is only a suggestion - when you get or find your anger - write down the word... first word that comes to mind... then write everything you can think about why that was the first word... it doesn't have to be poetic or in poetic language... just write from that place of anger... until your spent...

give it some time, then revisit... see if you can cut some poetry out of it... add to it, take away from it... keep playing with it until it sings in your soul... you'll know... see what you get...

geoff

Go to page:
Go to: