Page:

Poetry to song

stormiwyndz
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 17th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 28

Hello, all my beautiful true heart friends! I was approached today by an acquaintance. He told me that I'm wasting my talents...And I need to write and sing. To put my poetry to music. Now I'm no composer. I can write...alright...and my voice is okay. I'm interested in this idea...but no clue how to start. My insecurities about my appearance hold me back for one...(Nashville Star said I have a beautiful voice, but America won't vote on a fat singer) and I have no earthly clue how to write music...or even cut the poems to fit the music. My "friend" said change the style of music. Bring being a bard and multiple verses back. That what I do inspires people. And that singing...he's watched people just STOP to listen. So...I'm putting this out there for discussion...And if anything comes of it...know this...You guys will be first on my list to thank when I'm accepting my Grammy.
~Stormi~

poet Anonymous

Howdy Stormi,

You never know until you try, so go for it!
Not so sure about the bard and multiple verse idea, at least if you are thinking of taking this commercial. But, it's your choice and your road to travel. Remember to stay true to your dream, don't let others dictate theres to you.
There's a big difference between poetry and lyrics. Read all you can on lyrics. Study the music that speaks to you. Dissect it, learn the rhyme schemes, the phrasing.
Just about every city has a songwriters group. Join it. Meet singers and songwriters. It will be a good way to find that composer you need.
Most of all do it for the music! You will never learn all there is, no one will. It changes continuously. By the time you write that new song that sounds like the one that moved you 6 weeks ago, the whole process will likely have changed direction. LoL!!!
The music business is a very small community, even though it looks large. Find a mentor. Theres one out there, it just takes patience. And speaking of patience, the music business moves at it's own pace......very slowly! Don't get discouraged. Those over night success stories are very rare. They make a good story, but that's about it.
If I can be of any help in the lyric sense, give me a hollar.
Good luck and I hope to see you holding that Grammy some day!

tornado

sammy4444
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 25th Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 35

To me music has always just been an extension to poetry. As far as the technical aspects, if you currently don't know an instrument take some time to learn how to play and try to connect it to your soul in the same way you so your poetry. And then...just take time and play. Have fun with it, let your emotions sing into the music and then eventually words fill in the gaps missing in the rest of the equation.  They solidify the emotions. I agree with tornado, the most important thing is to just try it out.  Don't worry about any fame, do it for the music and your own expression. Let the world have your art when they are ready for it.
And all the best! Good luck! :)

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

Regardless of what you do with your talents, you must also love and accept the body you live in, Stormi.  Use this whole thing to improve upon all aspects of you, from the writing and music to how you see yourself.  This is a transition time for many people and now is your chance to reinvent who you are. Start an exercise routine even if it's just daily walking, and eat as healthy as you can--little changes will add up over time and if you physically feel more in shape, then that will translate to a more positive view of yourself. Take step one today and cut the word "fat" from your vocabulary--the more you tell yourself that, the more you'll stay stuck there. Say something like "presently transitioning to more toned up" and screw what everyone else thinks --focus on what YOU think and go get it!

poet Anonymous

stormiwyndz said:Hello, all my beautiful true heart friends! I was approached today by an acquaintance. He told me that I'm wasting my talents...And I need to write and sing. To put my poetry to music. Now I'm no composer. I can write...alright...and my voice is okay. I'm interested in this idea...but no clue how to start. My insecurities about my appearance hold me back for one...(Nashville Star said I have a beautiful voice, but America won't vote on a fat singer) and I have no earthly clue how to write music...or even cut the poems to fit the music. My "friend" said change the style of music. Bring being a bard and multiple verses back. That what I do inspires people. And that singing...he's watched people just STOP to listen. So...I'm putting this out there for discussion...And if anything comes of it...know this...You guys will be first on my list to thank when I'm accepting my Grammy.
~Stormi~

I think Nashville Star is giving you BS about America not voting on a fat woman. There are plenty of folks who listen to the music (as so you have seen them stop to listen.) Sing and write and keep the look of what you love and friends will listen to your heart as well.

poet Anonymous

In music, unlike in the music business... looks don't actually matter.
What's probably most important is your desire to be a great singer/lyricist and the ability to act on your desire...and also persistence...lots of persistence, talent plays a part too....but even if you have all of those things, success is still not guaranteed. Point is, looks should be the least of your worries....so don't let your insecurities hold you back.  

and the more important point is....success in anything difficult is extremely rare... not impossible, but very rare....if you do succeed, its an extraordinary achievement.(and I hope you achieve it)

...as for how to write music, or convert poetry to lyrics....I have no idea.

anonymouslyhere
Pariah Shadow
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 31st Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 1633

I am glad you ask this, it is something I really want to do as well. As for how to turn poetry into song, its not extremely difficult but it does take some re-writing and reworking of the piece, partly depends on what type of music you are going to be doing. But I want to start a band in a couple years, I have been working on my singing which was horrible, its improved to bad, hopefully it'll be pretty good by the time I can do it.
As far as looks it doesn't matter, if you are beautiful on the inside with your lyrics it'll all be good.

stormiwyndz
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 17th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 28

Thank you guys! I shall take all this to heart and do some research! I really appreciate your responses!!!

BoFantastic
Thought Provoker
7awards
Joined 24th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 333

being a musician, actor, preacher or politician, or any leader, got nothing to do with appearance or 'looks', it's about sexuality, the sexual vibrancy you exude. you have to be more magnetic. you can't see magnetism, you feel it. in bodybuilding, they say all the hard work is done in the kitchen not the gym. Here's what I did: I stopped drinking soda completely, I don't eat chips or any heavily processed packaged food. Why? Because I want to keep my sperm super strong and super healthy. I bust some of the best nuts I've ever busted in my life, my cum and sperm is so potent that if I bust a nut inside a woman's pussy, she would feel it, and she would moan and scream, and she would be pregnant with a very beautiful strong and healthy smart baby. What I eat is good organic protein, fruits and vegetables and rice and I drink just water and some juice. But you have to eat to your instincts, the way your body feels is right for you. Being vegan or vegetarian is not for every body's body, so listen to your body. And lastly, be impervious to the opinions of others. Bold acts of courage always bring you unexpected positive results. So exercise your courage, don't worry about the music or the 'looks', focus on the feeling.

EngrVV
D_Poetic Engineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 40awards
Joined 11th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 2483

Be original to stand out from the crowd...whatever you write doesn't matter, what matters most is the feeling you give to it. Don't worry about any particular genre, just sing your heart out and the melody will just fall into place. It would be a big help if you know how to play any musical instrument because the tunes you are playing with your hands could make your voice follow the rhythm. Before you know it, you already completed a song...good luck!

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 331

Stormy, don't worry about being too 'fat' to be a desirable singer. (Personally, I think 'cuddly' or 'huggable' about you.) Some of classical music's female singers have been on the voluptuous side. We do have the tragic example of Mama Cass, but she would have lived longer if she had dieted sensibly and public taste in female singer figures had not inclined much towards the likes of Twiggy (who is still alive, and looking healthy).

Our Adele has been a big (no pun intended!) hit musically on both sides of the Atlantic. She recently said she would only lose weight if it began to affect her health or her sex life with her partner, and I would advise you to think the same. I sometimes think you are the nearest to Adele in the poetic arena. Go for it, girl! Hugs to you!

Rhyming conclusion:

If you can sing a good B Flat,
Why worry about being fat?

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1530

Ya know, prejudice is a terrible monster. I feel fairly certain you have seen this video before, but if not, you absolutely must see it. To witness a sword driven straight through the heart of bigotry is a beautiful thing. Every time I see this I start crying the moment she starts singing and by the time she's half-way through the song I am weeping. It's not just because the song is a heart wrenching song, it is not just because she sings it so well, it is as much, and even more because of the looks and expressions on everyone's face before she begins, the same thing was in everyone's head, including mine. And then she proceeds to stomp all over the monsters head until it is dead. She lived her dream and got to share the stage with her hero later on.

Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yix0MyJnBQA

JJ

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1530

Well actually, watch this one instead because it includes the interview after she starts walking off the stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OcQ9A-5noM

And then watch her singing with her hero...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o8PgJPUjfo

Dreams really do come true...
JJ

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Here is the difference between a poem and a song:

If you can write a poem that readers will end up singing along to an imaginary music track, then you are on the right path to becoming a successful song writer.

This will give musicians and vocalists a framework to which they can build upon in complementing the words.

If the writing is mediocre, then there will be more compensation than complementing involved in the final product.

Page:
Go to: