Go to page:

Can you define poetry

hornyatmorn
Twisted Dreamer
2awards
Joined 8th Dec 2014
Forum Posts: 124

Astyanax said:The word 'poem' comes from an ancient Greek word from the 4th or 5th century BC - 'πόημα' ('poeema'), meaning 'that which is made', which itself comes from the verb, 'ποείν' ('poeen'): 'to make'. The essence of the concept is that a poem is something 'made' or 'contructed', not a natural occurrence. To put it another way, the essence of a poem is creativity. When we speak or write ordinary prose, we simply express thoughts or ideas in standard language to convey our meaning, but when we speak or write poetically, we choose particular words or phrases designed to create a greater effect than the basic meaning. So whatever the form, whatever the subject, a poem adds to the idea being expressed. To give a couple of examples, here are two ideas expressed first as prose, then as poetry:

Example 1:

Autumn is the time of the year when the sun is low and
everything gets ripe. Prose

'Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eaves run.' Poetry,  from John Keats' 'Ode to Autumn'.

Example 2:

A bell is ringing to tell the shepherds it's time to bring the sheep in. Prose

'The curfew tolls the knell of parting day'. Poetry, from Thomas Gray's 'Elegy in a Country Churchyard'.

That's why poetry is different from prose - you added your creativity to it, and therefore the basic definition of a poem is that it's a creation.

I think I have to correct slightly the Greek orthography here:
Noun: "Ποίημα" => Poeema => Poem
Verb: "Ποιείν" => Poeen => Making (creating)
Νoun: "Ποίησης" => Poeesis => Poetry

You spell correctly the diphthongs in English. Why not in Greek also?
Otherwise I agree with your definitions.
By the way, I believe that it is only poets who cannot handle structures very well that are skeptical/afraid of formal poetry, ie, using meter or rhyme.

PsycoticMastermind
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 209

Poetry is when a piano falls from a high rise building onto a piano salesman whose only reason for living was his love for music. And before he is crushed into a splattered pulp of jelly, the wind whistling across the ivories plays a tune in the key of Irony.

Atakti
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 1st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 3273

MaryWalker said:Call my stuff poetry and I'll scratch your eyes out.

My kinda wench.

Welcome to DU!

Atakti
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 1st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 3273

Poetry is the brain smear of poets that ran outta booze, pot or whatever they use to deal with the bat herd of thoughts flapping around their head.

NICOLELEIGH
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 23rd Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 55

Poetry to me is unspoken words, feelings, thoughts and gestures that one may or May not be able to say to someone willingly by mouth. For me this is my way of getting out how I feel what I feel what I want to do or feel like doing. Inspiration comes from everywhere but it's in those quiet times in my head where I seem to do my best work. I have written/published a lot but those that I have are to me my way of expressing myself.

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1391

It makes you feel something.

2entyce
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 12th Mar 2011
Forum Posts: 17

To me poetry is the lyrical manifestation of a persons inner most thoughts and feelings. Honest, raw emotion from the heart straight to the paper. It's the truest form of freedom of expression.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

use the least number
of perfect words
to hit your reader
hard.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

hemihead said:use the least number
of perfect words
to hit your reader
hard.

That's what I love about haiku - senryu - haibun and tanka ... the power is in simplicity and brevity.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

What poetry is to google and how google defines it... Just saying

poetry
ˈ
noun
literary work in which the expression of feelings and ideas is given intensity by the use of distinctive style and rhythm; poems collectively or as a genre of literature.

"he felt a desire to investigate through poetry the subjects of pain and death"

synonyms:      poems, verse, verses, versification, metrical composition, rhythmical composition, rhymes, rhyming, balladry; penillion; literarypoesy, Parnassus
a quality of beauty and intensity of emotion regarded as characteristic of poems.

"poetry and fire are nicely balanced in the music"

something regarded as comparable to poetry in its beauty.

"the music department is housed in a building which is pure poetry"

summultima
uma
Dangerous Mind
India 34awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2012
Forum Posts: 1301

series of flashes n dark interconnectivities
craving an orgasmic release of each cellular

words n form r juz tools
falling in place all by itself
that even amazes the creator

a miracle. each poem is what is

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

Defining poetry:
Allegory
Alliteration
Assonance
Denotation and Connotation
Diction
Irony
Metaphor
Meter
Rhyme
Simile
Symbol
Tone
Word Order

"To fully understand poetry, we must first be fluent with its meter, rhyme and figures of speech, then ask two questions: 1) How artfully has the objective of the poem been rendered and 2) How important is that objective? Question 1 rates the poem's perfection; question 2 rates its importance. And once these questions have been answered, determining the poem's greatness becomes a relatively simple matter.

If the poem's score for perfection is plotted on the horizontal of a graph and its importance is plotted on the vertical, then calculating the total area of the poem yields the measure of its greatness.

A sonnet by Byron might score high on the vertical but only average on the horizontal. A Shakespearean sonnet, on the other hand, would score high both horizontally and vertically, yielding a massive total area, thereby revealing the poem to be truly great. As you proceed reading through poetry, practice this rating method. As your ability to evaluate poems in this matter grows, so will, so will your enjoyment and understanding of poetry."

Dr. J. Evans Pritchard, Ph.D.

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1391

Poetryman said:Defining poetry:
Allegory
Alliteration
Assonance
Diction
Irony
Metaphor
Meter
Rhyme
Simile
Symbol
Tone
Word Order

"To fully understand poetry, we must first be fluent with its meter, rhyme and figures of speech, then ask two questions: 1) How artfully has the objective of the poem been rendered and 2) How important is that objective? Question 1 rates the poem's perfection; question 2 rates its importance. And once these questions have been answered, determining the poem's greatness becomes a relatively simple matter.

If the poem's score for perfection is plotted on the horizontal of a graph and its importance is plotted on the vertical, then calculating the total area of the poem yields the measure of its greatness.

A sonnet by Byron might score high on the vertical but only average on the horizontal. A Shakespearean sonnet, on the other hand, would score high both horizontally and vertically, yielding a massive total area, thereby revealing the poem to be truly great. As you proceed reading through poetry, practice this rating method. As your ability to evaluate poems in this matter grows, so will, so will your enjoyment and understanding of poetry."

While I can appreciate that those methods can contribute to making a poem great, if it isn't engaging, or making the reader connect to the words written on a page, then it's still crap. The emotions it conveys, the thoughts it conjures up in a reader are the key things, and they can be done without using any of these methods, but I haven't enjoyed reading anything that has no heart, even if it is flawed. It's Christmas dinner without the turkey.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

DystopianMelody said:[quote-297049-Poetryman]Defining poetry:
Allegory
Alliteration
Assonance
Diction
Irony
Metaphor
Meter
Rhyme
Simile
Symbol
Tone
Word Order

While I can appreciate that those methods can contribute to making a poem great, if it isn't engaging, or making the reader connect to the words written on a page, then it's still crap. The emotions it conveys, the thoughts it conjures up in a reader are the key things, and they can be done without using any of these methods, but I haven't enjoyed reading anything that has no heart, even if it is flawed. It's Christmas dinner without the turkey.
[/quote]

Yes...technique is secondary to a good kick in the guts....although technique can assist with the kickin'...

poet Anonymous

And robin Williams would tell you to rip that page out, poetryman.

Go to page:
Go to: