Go to page:

Can you define poetry

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

we had this discussion a couple of years ago. define poetry,  dont give me a google answer or the Oxford dictionary definition. what is poetry to you.

I have trouble writing, especially after a poem I write is well recieved here. I feel the need to keep up the standard and that puts me under a lot of presure.

I understand that the majority of people here write for theraputic reasons. I done that once and it felt pretty good to get the shit onto paper

what I am looking for is not the reason you write, its  your idea of what a poem is or should be.

thank you kindly

...The managment

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

A poem is a song without its accompanying music, but can stand alone or with the music, regardless.  It is also something that is already written, and those of us who write, are the chosen vessels/conduits by which poems are brought forth into the world, and if you train yourself how to "listen" for them, you'll catch the ones you're supposed to birth, yourself.

socialflutterby
Germacide
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 19th Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 16

poetry is a personal thing, it means different things to different people, i don't believe there should be any rules to govern what poetry is, nor should there be a specific format. At least that's my take on it, i dont think there is a right or wrong answer to your question

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

It tells a story on one page, without it being one dimensional, having many layers.  It can catch your breath and squeeze you from the inside.  Make you feel and think about what you're feeling. Touch some memory in your own life.

If it doesn't do some or all of those things, then it is not what I would call poetry.

Nonetheless, as I have said countless times.  I don't believe it should ever be restricted by the rules poetry elitist's bind it with.  

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

lepperochan said:

...The managment

poet Anonymous

"Organization of energies"

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Poetry is a condensed version of prose in which punctuation and all the he said she said can be thrown out the fucking window.

However, it is a story that is not poetic by default just because it is classified as poetry.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Thanks all

hey, Doc. I think you have something there with ’ train yourself to listen ’ . I observe a lot, that linda works for me. feelings are another source.

I saw a quote on someone’s profile, made a lot of sense. I’ll try find it.

I think you have all got the right idea,  as said above  there is no right or  wrong answer here. multi layered, or one dimensional works for people.

what about the way you translate your thoughts, do you write using words that you would talk to your people with or do you  use a words that you wouldn’t normally use. to be honest,I do both. I swear a lot when I speak to people but I rarely swear in my poems.

poet Anonymous

for me it's a painting. a picture for the mind, but not the eyes.

i most often use everyday words that most people can understand. i don't want my readers to have to run for a dictionary every other line. though, i like to read that type of poetry. ha! i don't use a ton swear words while writing, but i use them more in writing than i do in normal conversation.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

lepperochan said:Thanks all

hey, Doc. I think you have something there with ’ train yourself to listen ’ . I observe a lot, that linda works for me. feelings are another source.

I saw a quote on someone’s profile, made a lot of sense. I’ll try find it.

I think you have all got the right idea,  as said above  there is no right or  wrong answer here. multi layered, or one dimensional works for people.

what about the way you translate your thoughts, do you write using words that you would talk to your people with or do you  use a words that you wouldn’t normally use. to be honest,I do both. I swear a lot when I speak to people but I rarely swear in my poems.

I was quite dramatic in my post, but that is because sometimes I come across a poem that potent, and it stays with me, I don't forget those, the gems of the poetry world.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

yeah, I get that. it's great when a poem hits home like that. I've had people say they were moved/ touched/  etc, and that's great to hear

About language. my two favorite poems are The raven and Anne Sexton's All my pretty ones. they both use different styles, The raven flows and rhymes. Sexton's is more matter of fact, though she does throw in a couple of rhymes.

thing is, the words and language they use were the the words and language of the time. I have often tried to emulate the raven and Sexton's style, it never quite works out.

if you look at Hemi's poetry or indeed Jon Rot's they both use words and language that they would use every day. it reads pretty good, it's a style that's very popular among aspiring poets both now and in the past.

other poets use words that they don't use every day: Shadoe, Aish, Magda etc and that reads fine too.

so, I am thinking that a poem for me, in my book would have either or. but I am pretty picky about my poetry, (it's not great but it's a helluva lot better than it was when I started) and bin about 40% of what I write and leave a load of poems to die a slow death on the competitions, even winners.

I can't actually define what poetry is, that's why i brought the subject up, to see what you people think

thank you all most much for your thoughts this far    

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

lepperochan said:

other poets use words that they don't use every day: Shadoe, Aish, Magda etc and that reads fine too.

More so the language in the way it is written than the words. The way I interact with my work colleagues for example, they find difficult to understand a lot of the time, they do actually say to me "can you now repeat that in English" and I don't mean I'm speaking to them in Welsh. They are just not into literature and live in a world of text talk, which I find is how it is for more and more people.  When I text, I use full words and punctuation, I don't want to fall out of that habit.

I tend to use analogies a lot also, when trying to get something across.

poet Anonymous

Poeitree iz werds konntryved bye askwholez.  Poeitz R askwholes. Dey konstantlee axe fer advyce den dew whut duh phuck dey want tew enywaze.  Eye playgerized diss quote, butt duh eyedea iz myne.

rm

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Could anyone please volunteer definitions for comedic poetry and 1,000 word poetry?

A certain someone around here seems to be struggling big time with both concepts.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: