Comp HQ: RANDOM POEMS [2] De POWER [Opium] THREE

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Competition Details

For those of you still scratching your arses, wondering what the hell is RANDOM POEMS [2] De POWER [Opium] THREE all about, it's an elimination poetry competition, where poets are set numerous challenges with 3 random elements that need to be incorporated with creative ingenuity into their poems.

The first few challenges will be based on genre, location, and objects and the poets will have a set timeframe to write and post their entry.  On completion of each challenge the poems will be judged, ranked and poets will either progress to the next round or be eliminated based on their ranking within their group.  The competition ends when every poet has been decapitated and only one poet is left standing alive... Highlander style!

Rules:

1. New poems only, this is a creative writing comp.
2. Follow the instructions set out in the challenge and make sure you get your poem finished within the nominated timeframe and posted in The Arena.
3. Copy and Paste your Group number and THREE RANDOM ELEMENTS at the top of each entry.

The Arena:

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/7494/

Rounds [your shout]:

Round One:
The opening round is a special second chance [slash] save your own neck round.  It consists of 2 challenges with all 20 poets given 48 hours to complete each challenge.  The combined score of their poems will determine their overall ranking within their group at the end of Round 1.  The three highest ranking poets from each group will advance to Round 2 and the two lowest ranking poets will be stripped of all their poems and accolades and boiled down into animal glue for the Webmistress' fake eyelashes.

Round Two:
This round consists of 1 challenge with 12 poets given 48 hours to complete the challenge.  The combined score received for their poem will determine their overall ranking within their group at the end of the round. The two highest ranking poets from each group will advance to Round 3 and the two lowest ranking poets will be handed over to Hemi for dog meat.

Round Three:
The third round consists of 2 x 48 hour challenges, but unlike the opening round, there ain't no 2nd chances with one poet from each group being eliminated at the end of each challenge. At the end of Round Three, only one poet from each group will advance to the final round.

Scoring:

Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, the scoring is going to be real cutthroat.  There are three kick-ass judges [anonymous during the comp] who have volunteered their time to judge the poetry, so their call is final.  The judges will rank each poem from 1st-5th place based on the how they felt the poem placed within the group.  I'll then combine all the judge's rankings and tally the scores with the highest ranked poem in each group being awarded 5 points and the lowest ranked poem getting 1 point.  The ranking scores will vary slightly as the comp progresses with less poets in each group, blah, blah blah, this doesn't really matter at this stage, but if you're really interested how it works, please don't hesitate to email me directly at Ithinkyoubettergetafuckinglife@yahoo.com.

In the case scores have tied between two poets within a group, the decision on who lives and who dies will be determined by the total combined ranking score of the poets at that stage of the competition.

Challenges:

Round One - Challenge 1

Write a poem of any length and style based on the genre, location, and objects that have been assigned to your group.  It's up to you how you weave the 3 random elements into your poem.

Group 1
Genre: Self Poem
Object: Fish

Group 2
Genre: Erotic Poem
Object: Button

Group 3
Genre: Upbeat Poem
Object: Paper

Group 4
Genre: Love Poem
Object: Ring

Round One - Challenge 2

Write a poem of any length and style based on the genre, location, and objects that have been assigned to your group.  It's up to you how you weave the 3 random elements into your poem.

Group 1
Genre: Drug Poem
Object: Scissors

Group 2
Genre: Dark Poem
Object: Telephone

Group 3
Genre: Observational Poem
Object: Jar

Group 4
Genre: Anger Poem
Object: Radio

Round Two Challenge

The elements have been tweaked a little in this round, with the standard DUP genres now being combined into a double genre and the location is more specific, now a city within a foreign country, which is also accompanied by a short video to set the scene. You can take as much or as little as you want from the video to fuel your inspiration.

Group 1
Genre: Erotic Drug Poem
Location: Dance Floor, Odessa Ukraine http://youtu.be/xAWjSWj-Vz8
Object: Name Tag

Group 2
Genre: Dark Spiritual Poem
Location: Paris Catacombs, Paris France http://youtu.be/MzDOhnpDhgY
Object: Camcorder

Group 3
Genre: Anger Love Poem
Location: Hippie Commune Taylor Camp, Kauai Hawaii http://youtu.be/58WKzxMWZpU
Object: Stars and Stripes Flag

Round Three - Challenge 1

Write a poem of any length and style based on the elements that have been assigned to your group. You'll notice this round that the genre element is Miscellaneous Poems for both groups. You must write the poem in a genre that does not fit the DUP standard categories. [Please remember to nominate your chosen genre at the top of the poem]. Similar to the last round, the location is again a specific place within a foreign country, which is also accompanied by a short video to set the scene.

Group 1
Genre: Miscellaneous Poem
Location: Khumbu Icefall, Mount Everest http://youtu.be/moBJMGNSql4
Object: Cell Phone
Jestalessa
LobodeSanPedro
Atakti

Group 2
Location: Ostfront (World War II) Russia http://youtu.be/uvrXIVRdcsU !Extreme Content Warning!
Object: Magnet
HHMCameron
JohnRot
lepperochan

Round Three - Challenge 1

Write a poem of any length and style based on the elements that have been assigned to your group. You'll notice this round that the genre element is Miscellaneous Poems for both groups. You must write the poem in a genre that does not fit the DUP standard categories. Similar to the last round, the location is again a specific place within a foreign country, which is also accompanied by a short video to set the scene.

Group 1
Location: Khumbu Icefall, Mount Everest http://youtu.be/moBJMGNSql4
Object: Cell Phone
Jestalessa
LobodeSanPedro
Atakti

Group 2
Location: Ostfront (World War II) Russia http://youtu.be/uvrXIVRdcsU !Extreme Content Warning!
Object: Magnet
HHMCameron
JohnRot
lepperochan

Round Three Challenge 2

The elements have been tweaked again, with fiction genres being combined into a double genre. The location is within a vehicle [or as Craic pointed out, "a vessel"], which is also accompanied by a short video to set the scene. Take what you want from the video to fuel your inspiration. Be creative.

Group 1
Genre: Philosophical Horror Poem
http://youtu.be/ywEiabtYhMc
Object: a red pill
LobodeSanPedro
Atakti

Group 2
Genre: Thriller Romance Poem
http://youtu.be/BX3kFCgvKp4
Object: a blue pill
HHMCameron
lepperochan

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

This sounds interesting, and what the hey my schedule is free, and blundering into things with a grin on my face is always the start of an adventure. Plus it just makes up the numbers really.

By the way quick replies are not quite possible as the title is over 65 characters long.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Viddax said:This sounds interesting, and what the hey my schedule is free, and blundering into things with a grin on my face is always the start of an adventure. Plus it just makes up the numbers really.

By the way quick replies are not quite possible as the title is over 65 characters long.

Thanks, Lord Viddax! I'm stoked you've jumped aboard this trip. [i've hacked the thread title back, so replying should now be a piece of blueberry cheesecake... unless they reply to your post]

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

I'm in :)

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

MadameLavender said:I'm in :)

MadameLavender, it will be great to see your sharp creative mind at work under pressure. Thanks for joining the comp.

I know there are many prolific poets out there in DU that would be surprised what a 24-48 hour timeframe could do to help their creativity. Don't think of this as another over complicated comp run by some intoxicated baboon, think of it more of an intense poetic performance enhancing drug addiction... and I'm just the shady dealer standing at the back of the room keeping tabs.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Count this ol' wolf in, Brotha.  Those 48 hour FF comps leave me beaten but it's a good beat. Maybe it's because each of my writes involves carnage ... A soldier cut down by a machine gun ... A man hunted - skinned and cooked on a hibachi ... A family slain and then exacting revenge ... I gotta start balancing this by writing children's books or something.

Atakti
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 1st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 3273

I'm in it for the gore.

Or fluffy bunnies, whatever. Although one may lead to the other...

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

you had me at opium...............

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

blood | blood | drugs

Getting all three of you in a row is almost like hitting the jackpot.

Thanks for signing up brothas and... sista?

jakehammer
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 29th Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 110

An opportunity to learn and grow from DU's elite; I would be a fool to miss out.. give me the razors and rope. I would like to challenge all writers and poets to join the comp, no matter of your status or awards here.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Cheers, brotha Jakehammer, welcome aboard and thanks for accepting the challenge.

I just want say that this ain't no nazi elitist comp hellbent on victory and glory, we're more commi poetic bastards that like to test our own steel for the growth of the collective group. This is about joining in having fun and walking away with a couple of poems you're damn proud to have written whilst under the pump.

For the new members who want to have a shot, but think perhaps you're not ready for a knockout style comp, because you haven't established yourself as a contender. That's not true. I see you as the dark horse and these types of comps are built for a level playing field. There will be a panel of random judges ranking all the entries and the finals will be decided on anonymous poems [trust me, I've done this before], so this will be as good as it gets as a fairplay comp.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

if there is room for one nazi elitist with a tendency towards red commies then I would be interested in putting the name Herr Craic forward

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

We have room for 2 nazi elitists only on the ark, purely for breeding purposes. Welcome aboard, bruder Herr Craic.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Dare I?  Okay, I'm in

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Great! I think we should start breeding little Nazi elities right now... that may not go down well. Another apology. We are not xenophobic, we love big nazis too.

Bless you, sista Mags. Welcome to the random fold.

Go to page:
Go to: