Go to page:

How to begin writing Spoke Word?

KittenGuppies
Strange Creature
Joined 30th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 2

I was introduced to spoken word in my school earlier today, and I'm curious about doing it myself.

Are there any rules? Like there has to be rhymes etc? Or can the poem be however I want it to be?

Do you have any suggestions for a beginner? Any sites or tips?

poet Anonymous

google the upcoming spoken word events in your area. They all have different rules and regs. Best going along to any venue that you'd like to perform at and get a feel for the place and audience.

going along to watch usually costs a very small entrance fee, well worth it
good luck

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

You can write any form of poetry to read, there are many forms of spoken word.  

There are some threads here on spoken word, I will find the links for you now.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

This was a comp held on spoken word, which may help you.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/6740/

There is a "how to" make an audio and video in this thread if you are not sure how to do that.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/poetry/read/5230/

And this thread is loaded with audio's from members here you can listen to to get an idea.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/poetry/read/610/705/

And this is some advice written by a long time member here.

* record yourself generally first and listen to yourself. Work out where you can improve.
* speak clearly and concisely.
* don't rush it
* imagine there's going to be nobody listening but you.
* let the words dictate your voice, not the other way around.
* keep calm.  

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

If your style lends to rhyming ... Then go for it.  I've seen spoken word poets who are marvelous - some work with rhyme schemes - some free verse.  

Paramount is the story your telling.  If you can commit the poem to memory - BIG plus - it frees up your body in terms of movement.  

I just did a piece with a panel of judges ... Most important thing I took away from their critique "become the piece - take your audience to that place in your poem"  ... be it a park ... your grandmother's kitchen ... your lover's arms ... Act the piece dont read it.

Welcome to DUP.

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1781

Magdalena said: This was a comp held on spoken word, which may help you.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/6740/

[quote]There is a "how to" make an audio and video in this thread if you are not sure how to do that.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/poetry/read/5230/

And this thread is loaded with audio's from members here you can listen to to get an idea.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/poetry/read/610/705/

And this is some advice written by a long time member here.

* record yourself generally first and listen to yourself. Work out where you can improve.
* speak clearly and concisely.
* don't rush it
* imagine there's going to be nobody listening but you.
* let the words dictate your voice, not the other way around.
* keep calm.  
[/quote]
This is extremely helpful Magdalena thanks ")

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1781

Also great advice LSP ")  Act the poem Love that idea.

lolululaladidah
Strange Creature
Joined 12th Oct 2014

I'm just looking into it too :)

lolululaladidah
Strange Creature
Joined 12th Oct 2014

You guys written any good stuff?

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16213

lolululaladidah said:You guys written any good stuff?

Read the works of those who just gave you some excellent tips. They are some of the best writers in this site. Welcome to DU.

BoFantastic
Thought Provoker
7awards
Joined 24th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 333

I would suggest standing and performing in front of a mirror. Spoken word is more about physical theatrics and performance, it's acting, and not so much about the words, but how you deliver your content. It sound like you possess no charisma at all, dig deep into anger, into fury, and unleash something fearful. People surrender to fear, when you can make them submit, you will be victorious and they will throw panties, roses, and money at you. Good luck.

BrokenNotDone
Strange Creature
Canada
Joined 15th Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 4

I just go from the soul

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

After attending a formal class session for the delivery of a written piece I must add and reaffirm this ...

1. Take the time to commit the poem to memory.  It just frees things up for you as the artist including audience participation.

2. When recording (I just learned this so give it a minute) rehearse the piece in a different voice.  Why? because we as humans are generally self defeating.  If you record your poems and "don't like" the sound of your voice that's what becomes engrained and that may cause stage fright.

3. We all learn to memorize in dfferernt ways.  

4. There are two parts to a poet ... A. The writer B. The performer ...LET THE PERFORMER TAKE OVER.  Don't recite your piece become your piece.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

go down by some train tracks

find a burn barrel

and listen to the boys for a min

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

johnrot said:go down by some train tracks

find a burn barrel

and listen to the boys for a min

Your twist and turns always take me on a journey ... Just an FYI ... That piece I wrote for your "birth of a rebel" competition is being well received when I've presented it at open forums ... I first spit it at the Nuyorican Poet's Cafe in NYC - I had to do it from paper so it lost some of it's flow ... More recently I presented it at an actors and poets workshop.  The class had already been meeting for four weeks and even though I came in mid course the director liked, first and foremost the poem, and my presentation (from memory) so much that he invited me to be part of the groups showcase in Harlem, NYC in a few months ... I'm stoked bc Harlem was where I was born & raised ... And where so much of the poem took place ...

... thanks for planting the seed Mr. Johnrot

... I'm watering it - cultivating it - making sure it grows.  And when it's ripe - light it up and - puff puff pass ...

Go to page:
Go to: