Is it OK to be negative on DUP

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Roachmill said:.
Unless uv coarse sumwon wantz tew lend me sum trophees.

You can have mine RM.

edead
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 9th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 47

Jesus Christ this got off topic. I don't 'get' a lot of the social interactions(or bad blood between members- here and don't care to...).Poetry is so very subjective it is hard to criticize a poem. I guess that explains the lack of critical comments....And moving on if you don't like a poem seems to be the right thing to do. But does it help the poet?  Sorry I've touched on such a nerve here...I didn't mean to bring up a sore subject or past history or trophies....haven't been here long enough to notice any 'elitism' and my main point for being here is to read some good, interesting poems which many of you have provided-thank you.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16195

edead said:Jesus Christ this got off topic. I don't 'get' a lot of the social interactions(or bad blood between members- here and don't care to...).Poetry is so very subjective it is hard to criticize a poem. I guess that explains the lack of critical comments....And moving on if you don't like a poem seems to be the right thing to do. But does it help the poet? Sorry I've touched on such a nerve here...I didn't mean to bring up a sore subject or past history or trophies....haven't been here long enough to notice any 'elitism' and my main point for being here is to read some good, interesting poems which many of you have provided-thank you.

Moving on without commenting will not help the writer of course, and this is where constructive criticism plays a part. I reiterate; critique is commendable, how it is delivered is the issue.  

uniqueshaky
Thought Provoker
Wales 2awards
Joined 24th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 196

I view constructive criticism as positive so no its not OK to be negative.

Tamaura_NightAngel
Thought Provoker
France 1awards
Joined 23rd Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 42

to me it depnds on what the person puts on the poem there is frendly feed back honist criricism or no coments . if the person puts frendly feed back of corse you have to say something nice or dont comment at all but i see a lot of people and even to some of my poems i but frindly feed back and people still think its ok to critic it.  if you dont like something and the peson put honist criricism be honist and tell them how to make it better . but if they put frindly feed back then they want to hear good things about the poem and not have people tell them what is wrong with it and how to fix it .  and if you dont like it then move on and not make any comments its as simple as that  

PierreTheMad
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 7th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 2808

Tamaura_NightAngel said:to me it depnds on what the person puts on the poem there is frendly feed back honist criricism or no coments . if the person puts frendly feed back of corse you have to say something nice or dont comment at all but i see a lot of people and even to some of my poems i but frindly feed back and people still think its ok to critic it.  if you dont like something and the peson put honist criricism be honist and tell them how to make it better . but if they put frindly feed back then they want to hear good things about the poem and not have people tell them what is wrong with it and how to fix it .  and if you dont like it then move on and not make any comments its as simple as that  

Agreed. By selecting that option you are opening yourself up to whatever could be said and saying you are mature enough to handle it.

On the other side if you leave a comment not related to the actual substance, form, or message of the poem than that's just being an asshole.

poet Anonymous

Grace said:[quote-277269-edead]Jesus Christ this got off topic. I don't 'get' a lot of the social interactions(or bad blood between members- here and don't care to...).Poetry is so very subjective it is hard to criticize a poem. I guess that explains the lack of critical comments....And moving on if you don't like a poem seems to be the right thing to do. But does it help the poet? Sorry I've touched on such a nerve here...I didn't mean to bring up a sore subject or past history or trophies....haven't been here long enough to notice any 'elitism' and my main point for being here is to read some good, interesting poems which many of you have provided-thank you.

Moving on without commenting will not help the writer of course, and this is where constructive criticism plays a part. I reiterate; critique is commendable, how it is delivered is the issue.   [/quote]

What Grace just said... /thread  

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

edead said:Jesus Christ this got off topic. I don't 'get' a lot of the social interactions(or bad blood between members- here and don't care to...).Poetry is so very subjective it is hard to criticize a poem. I guess that explains the lack of critical comments....And moving on if you don't like a poem seems to be the right thing to do. But does it help the poet?  Sorry I've touched on such a nerve here...I didn't mean to bring up a sore subject or past history or trophies....haven't been here long enough to notice any 'elitism' and my main point for being here is to read some good, interesting poems which many of you have provided-thank you.

I don't think there is a thread that has not gone off topic at some point, sometimes to the extreme.  I honestly don't give a flying fuck about trophies.  This place is riddled with nerves that can be touched upon, not your fault, it is the nature of DU.

Back on topic.  What the author's request is in the drop down list for critique does not mean the reader "should" critique, whether friendly or otherwise is chosen. If the reader does not want to comment or critique, then they are not obliged to.  There are too many demanding people in this place and for me, that is a complete put off and the last thing I want to do is write in their comment box.

If an author wants and asks for critique and they get what they asked for, then there you go, if you just get a comment in kind without critique, then there you go, don't expect it just because you want it.  And if the author asks for friendly criticism, then respect that and keep it friendly.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

AscensionES said:I've tried every suggestion, my 'black hole' competition, untouched. The only entries I received were completely off topic.

Well, at least the entrants tried with the competition, so there's no fault in that.  Sometimes a topic is difficult to write on, depending on how much it inspires you, or how much is going on in life outside of DUP.  Writing cycles itself around a lot, with ups and downs, and you never know where you'll end up.

AscensionES said: Hardly anybody here seems to give a shit, and the ones that did, like Jack-Tex, were banned without warning and without justifiable cause.

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this part--there are plenty of people who do give a shit, and just because not everyone gives their shits in the same manner, intensity, and degree that you do, doesn't make our shit wrong and yours the only right way to give a shit.  There's diversity in giving a shit, and God, I sound like I'm talking to my husband and his attitudes...

As for Jack Tex, yes there was plenty of warning, both behind the scenes and publicly.  Justifiable cause?  So all the undermining in the form of speaking on my behalf, to other members here without those words actually being mine, picking on a member in a thread to the point where said member nearly fell back into a dangerous addiction, and the sending of Nasty-grams, both via our PM system here as well as external email, doesn't count for justifiable cause?  Perhaps you weren't aware of the behavior that was going on, and in an effort to uphold a standard of not breaching the privacy of others, I'll refrain from copy/pasting you, his messages that were sent to others around here, because they were forwarded to me, so I know what was said, and it wasn't very nice.

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2144

I'd actually like people to be rude about my poetry it would be a nice change. Even if people were going to throw some really unconstructive stuff in there at least they wouldn't be too afraid and lazy to be honest. I can't put conditions on the honesty of the masses when we're all so egocentric(my opinion).

[I'm only reflecting on everyone, more about me than everyone else.]

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

And guess what Jack--banning you was group decision, admin included, and yes, as a matter of fact, I am going to suspend your account again pending admin review. When numerous complaints are filed against a member, then that's pretty much an indication of a problem.  Speak for yourself when you accuse me of things that aren't true--I'm not out to create a subculture of minion and me as their leader, as you've been doing, Jack.  If it looks like I'm all over the place here, it's because I am, because someone has to do it, and it may appear that I'm in the driver's seat here, but ultimately I'm not--the Webmiss owns the site and she has the final say on everything.

Yes, everyone has a right to be here, but not if their presence is making it unpleasant in anyway for the other members i.e., creating discord, hurling accusations, making others feel unwelcome--all qualities of a troll.   You got banned because of a number of issues prior to what you linked in your post above--that was just the final nail in your coffin.  I think I was pretty fair and lenient up to, since I kept giving you one more chance, after all the complaints I was getting.  I saw good in you when we first crossed paths, Jack, but you used that to your advantage and showed your true colors.  Me locking that comp and my comment was for both of you who were having a brawl in print, BTW.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

I think that dislike of a poem or a poet's style that does not contain constructive criticism, in other words some words about how the writing could be improved, are best kept to the private messaging. As there you can state your dislike and nothing more.

However constructive criticism should be relished and destined for a poem, though the poet does not necessarily then have to act and follow up on that criticism. They may well have had a certain image or style in mind and do not want to change and alter the poem.

As for comments that are negative and not criticism or constructive, such as 'this is shit' have no place here as they add nothing and count for nothing, unless they can state logically why. And no, 'this is shit because it is shit' does not count.

As for trophies and trophy amounts, well, each one is an award of past glories yet everyone is capable of present and future glories. Besides, trophies do not always mean that you will like the poet's poems, though they are a good sign that they are more likely to be a capable poet and capable in their style and range of styles.

But what do I know? I've only been here for almost half a decade and seen quite a bit of DU....

I will be honest, thought this thread was going to be about negative poems rather than negative comments, suppose it is all about negative attitudes somewhat.

poet Anonymous

i occupy negative space is that OK

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Not to derail this thread any further, but one final comment --Jack, I don't need to explain myself or defend my position to you. I'm not here to create a fifedom, but I am here at the request of the Webmiss to do a job.  If others see fit to assist in ways, then that's a team effort, not minion.  Stop twisting the situation to make it say what you want it to.  You've proven yourself a troll by your previous behavior as well as how you're attacking me right now.  Accuse me of all you want, but I saw the hateful messages and emails you sent to some members here--not too classy.

poet Anonymous

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

What you didn't see, though, was the degree of your stupidity in coming back under a different name putting on a different persona.

Under Ah2, you played a "concerned" member who exposed plagiarists and advised others to never trust anybody with their personal info and when that didn't get you anywhere, you came back under HollyDove, now you play a faithful Southern woman whose main contribution is playing up to lavender in forums.    

You look even more ridiculous than before.

[/quote]

*rolleyes* Frankly mah dear I don't give a damn what you say. You've tainted your own p'tunias.
Be gone! before someone drops an outhouse on you.

Edit: Oh...thank you Lavendar and webmiss. I see it's been done.

Go to page:
Go to: