Go to page:

Dead Poets Society

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

I just heard that Robin Williams is dead. Anyone who saw the movie "Dead Poets Society" must be feeling great sadness for the loss of our teacher, Mr Keating, who has now joined the society.

I am going to take some time to reflect and try to write a poem for a truly great soul...

JJ

7thMidget
Lost Thinker
Portugal
Joined 3rd Aug 2014
Forum Posts: 19

It's sadder to now that it's possible that he committed suicide, a man so famous for his comedic skills.

Savaja
Dangerous Mind
United States 11awards
Joined 30th June 2014
Forum Posts: 186

I have been distraught ever since I learned of his death by probable suicide after reading of it in the New York Times. I wept as though a member of my family had died...

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

A poem I wrote many years ago kind of applies, as Robin was an artist as an actor and comedian.

"Artists Are Lonely"

Artists are lonely
We've been known to go insane
We feel so much our hearts confuse the brain
Minds clogged up without a place to drain
Accepted only if we entertain

Artists have talent
Which all too often is abused
Laugh all you want but I'm un-amused
When money and emotions are fused
My abilities are better left unused

Artists are happy
In the worlds that we create
In my world I reshape the shapes I hate
Where greed and pride cannot penetrate
Where colors aren't forced to segregate

JJ Johnson

I will be writing something new, but it does seem that those of us with artistically creative minds suffer our feelings and have great difficulty overcoming them. No one notices when te good feelings control us, or they think it is a good thing, but when depression gets inside, it s so hard to overcome. Just read through the dark poems on this site and you know it to be true.

RIP Robin

jemac
Dangerous Mind
United States 4awards
Joined 25th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 237

Savaja I did and felt the same…I grew up watching the comedic genius of Robin Williams..and had just watched "Dead Poets Society" for the umpteenth time, which just made this so much harder sadder..  <3 RIP Robin….O'Captain My Captain <3 :(

Angel_Of_Darkness
Rune L
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 22nd Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 608

Yes, Robin Williams will be missed. I heard the news last night and I felt as though an uncle had died.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

Behind The Smile
(For Robin Williams, to the tune of “Hold On” by Kansas)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xikm2YS_7xM

Look through the veil hiding your world, what do you see?
Did the road always bring you to where you thought you should be?
The rivers are winding and flow with despair,
And behind your smile, what was it, led you to there?

Flown on,
The Robin’s flown on
With the other birds of Spring,
To the Summer where they sing,
They’ve flown on.

The laughter that rode on the wind, was what your gift gave,
But did it always entrap you and plunge you, deep in the waves?
How did it unhinge, the door to your church,
Slip into the sand, and fill up with the hurt?

Flown on,
The Robin’s flown on
With the other birds of Spring,
To the Summer where they sing,
They’ve flown on.

Savaja
Dangerous Mind
United States 11awards
Joined 30th June 2014

It is a great irony to me that depression is the disease that kills and kills and kills, yet we bend so little of our energies towards truly understanding and combating the mechanisms by which it takes its oh-so-insidious toll.

I have always said: the easiest thing in the world for me to do is let go and slide into the morass of depression. It always waits. The hardest thing is to claw my way out again, desperately struggling for freedom from the pit.

Don't get me wrong: actually being IN that pit: well, that's sheerly torturous horror and not easy whatsoever, but that slide in??? Effortless...

jemac
Dangerous Mind
United States 4awards
Joined 25th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 237

I agree..we as a society are in such denial as to the catastrophic hold depression has on far too many. My mom has suffered with it her whole life…I as an adult had to take the reigns on getting her help, help that she should have received as a teenager. What was even worse for her, was a husband who was in denial…who did not use the proper avenues to get to the bottom of what was going on (she will be fine, she just needs rest)..and Doctors who mis~diagnosed what was happening for years. She tried to take her life three times. And I agree that slip in is as smooth as silk. (Hopefully you have someone to catch you once you are there) My relationship with her has been strained to say the least..but she is here…and no matter what, she will always be my mom.  My heart goes out to you Savaja.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

I'm reading the morning newspaper and listened to radio accounts of the life of an incredible talent ... Robin Williams will be missed; and while it's great to write odes to him within our realm known as DUP ... Mr. Williams was an incredible humanitarian as well - especially on issues regarding the homeless ...

I'd challenge those reading this to go out to and offer a small gesture of kindness to someone in need on the street - buy them a hot meal and a cool drink ... Instead of your pocket change slip them $5 or $10 ... Do something rather than avert your eyes and walk around them - to let them know people still care.

Savaja
Dangerous Mind
United States 11awards
Joined 30th June 2014

Ahhh, jemac, luv :-*, thank you. I am fortunate, indeed, for it is my children who are my anchor to life. I know that is not true for some who suffer from depression, but for me, as soon as I brought forth another life, everything changed inextricably, unalterably for me.

Though there have oft been times of severe depression since, never once have I sought to end my life once I brought children into the equation. For me, they hold me here when all else would fail. If I had not had them, I daresay I would not be here now. I love them more than I can convey...

And, LobodeSanPedro, you are right. Robin was an incredible humanitarian, especially for the homeless. What you are proposing is truly admirable and something that can be done. There are also soup kitchens and places that are always in need of supplies and volunteers to serve those in need. Donating time or cans of food or other supplies does not take much. Thank you for this thought, luv! :-*

poet Anonymous

I published this:

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/173317-the-loss-of-a-legend/

May he rest in peace, truly an inspiring, hilarious, kind man.

EngrVV
D_Poetic Engineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 40awards
Joined 11th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 2483

LobodeSanPedro said:I'm reading the morning newspaper and listened to radio accounts of the life of an incredible talent ... Robin Williams will be missed; and while it's great to write odes to him within our realm known as DUP ... Mr. Williams was an incredible humanitarian as well - especially on issues regarding the homeless ...

I'd challenge those reading this to go out to and offer a small gesture of kindness to someone in need on the street - buy them a hot meal and a cool drink ... Instead of your pocket change slip them $5 or $10 ... Do something rather than avert your eyes and walk around them - to let them know people still care.

Buying meals and drinks for someone on the streets is a good idea, but offering them money is not. Sometimes we don't really know what they will do with their money, buy drugs?

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

"Reality is a crutch for those who can't cope with drugs"

-----------Robin Williams

"what's right is what is left after you do everything else wrong"

Robin Williams

superman's roommate at juilliard...............

AscensionES
Aptilneilrionaltion
Dangerous Mind
Australia 9awards
Joined 22nd Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 1797

Having not known him personally, I feel I have no right to grieve in his death. That right belongs to his family and they alone. I admit with honesty that his death does not resonate on an emotional or personal level to me. I can however appreciate the skill and talent this man demonstrated throughout his life. And I do so deeply.

Go to page:
Go to: