Go to page:

Updates And Announcements

poet Anonymous

I'm continually getting signed out after every two page clicks or so. It's becoming really irritating having to sign in all of the time. Is this a site problem? I've tried it on 3 different browsers and it still boots me.

Any suggestions?

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

I get the same thing Missy--it seems to go in cycles and happens a bunch of days in a row. Not sure what's causing it--could be site maintenance, but I found a helpful thing that may work for you too: as soon as you log in the first time, don't go to any links,etc., but immediately hit the page refresh button on your browser. Then you should be able to navigate the page ok. Seems to work for me--give it a try! :)

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

lepperochan said:about this voting, I've voted on a couple. It'd be nice to be able to follow up, see where the votes stand and how many votes are needed to decide the winner etc. the way it stands now is almost like 'cast your vote then fuck off'.

oh, and I think someone's stole the boiler room  ;)

I can see how many votes are there so far in the comps and can certainly post that here. Not sure how many it takes to win, but will see what I can find out--be back later!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Here you go, Craic--this is all I could find on the voting comps for info:

When an abandoned competition is put into "voting" (by a moderator) it will remain in this state until there are enough votes to award a trophy. In order to award a trophy, there must be an outright winner. The point at which voting ends also depends on a number of factors; including how many competition entries were received.

How are runners up determined for competitions in voting?
When and how are runners up decided for abandoned competitions decided by public voting.

An outright winner must be found before a trophy is awarded for a 'voted for' abandoned competition.

The automated system then attempts to decide upon any runners up.

If more than 6 members entered then one runner up can be chosen. If more than 9 members entered then there may be an additional runner up.

A runner up is only selected if their entry received more votes than the next most voted for entry. However, if there are two runners up; their entries may have received the same number of votes, but both more then the 4th placed entry.

So far, our vote count stands as follows:

Why Africa--2 votes registered
For Who I Love--9 Votes registered
Life Is A Box Of Chocolates--13 votes registered
My Guardian Angel--13 votes registered
Writer's Block--12 votes registered

I'll update that as vote amounts increase, so get out and vote--end these comps already cuz there's like 104 more to go!  LOL  (I'm not kidding...there really are....)

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

Cheers Doc, damn decent comprehensive report. I bet you run a tight ship in that lab of yours, nothing short of impeccable

that's a lot of comps 104, can't you chase them down and make them pick a winner. send people knocking on doors. Drag them onto the Jeremy Kyle show or Judge Judy or set Michael Moore on them

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Yes, I do run a tight ship in the lab--certain people scramble to look busy when they see me coming --LOL. Tough getting those comps closed though--been messaging everyone still a member but not always with success. Gotta keep the votes rolling in though! :)

poet Anonymous

I now can't use my phone without being sent to various apps on my phone. DU is causing pop up adverts on my iphone, it directs me straight to game app purchases. It only happens when I'm looking at the DU. What's happening with that? It's mighty annoying!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Miss_Sub said:I now can't use my phone without being sent to various apps on my phone. DU is causing pop up adverts on my iphone, it directs me straight to game app purchases. It only happens when I'm looking at the DU. What's happening with that? It's mighty annoying!

Hi and sorry for the delayed reply--I was out of town for work for a couple of days.

Anyway, the Webmiss sent out word to us that she's been experimenting with different advertisements/sponsors in hopes to cut down her out of pocket cost required to run this website.  It appears that the final verdict on ads showing for now, is the Amazon one, in hopes that if anyone buys from Amazon, they'll access it through the ad on our page, which in turn generates funding to keep this site afloat.  

Gemini
Geminitalian
Fire of Insight
United States 9awards
Joined 28th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 1378

My facebook fan page:

https://www.facebook.com/CFalco9

poet Anonymous

MadameLavender said:

Hi and sorry for the delayed reply--I was out of town for work for a couple of days.

Anyway, the Webmiss sent out word to us that she's been experimenting with different advertisements/sponsors in hopes to cut down her out of pocket cost required to run this website.  It appears that the final verdict on ads showing for now, is the Amazon one, in hopes that if anyone buys from Amazon, they'll access it through the ad on our page, which in turn generates funding to keep this site afloat.  

Yeah I got a PM reply from the webmiss explaining this. The issue has been resolved since the site switched back to Amazon. The other adverts were ridiculous. I use apple mobile devices and it took me to the AppStore literally every 30 seconds to download stupid games and anti virus softwares. Never mind, all is good in the hood now.

poet Anonymous

Old adverts are back on. Problem has started again :(

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Miss_Sub said:Old adverts are back on. Problem has started again :(

Seems to look ok right now--I noticed last night that there were server issues and I couldn't get in here at all.  Hopefully all's fixed....

On another note, a big congrats to Gemini for getting his book published!  Woo!  Awesome job and well deserved!  

Also to update on the competitions in voting, for those interested in where they stand so far, here's the rundown:

Hurt Anyone?

Voting Started:7 days ago   Votes:6

Why Africa?  
Voting Started:8 days ago    Votes:5

For who I love  
Voting Started:16 days ago   Votes:12

Life is a box of chocolates  
Voting Started:28 days ago   Votes:14

Writers Block  
Voting Started:41 days ago    Votes:13

We're now down to an even 100 left to go, on the abandoned list, so get out and vote--let's see how many of these we can clear up, and thanks for your help!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

For those who have been getting a message about your account being deactivated and your profile gone, I'm hearing there's a website glitch and that's all it is.  Stay tuned, more to follow as soon as we know more!  

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Ok, we're back in action again--been having a few website glitches but all seems well at the moment.  Just a friendly suggestion to those who only have their work stored here on DUP, and do with this what you will, but it's always a good idea to have a back-up, elsewhere, whether it be in print, CD, external drive/flashdrive or on your computer's hard drive.  With the extended downtime in the not so distant past, and the little downtimes of late, at least you can still access your writing if you have it elsewhere.  I'm not saying that DUP will crash again and never come back, but remember that nothing is entirely foolproof or permanent in this world, and after having a couple of computer crashes myself where I lost everything, years ago, I back things up all the time now.  

Competition voting:  still going slow, but keep the votes coming!  A suggestion was put forth to see about tweaking the voting process to speed it up a bit, but as the Webmiss is very busy outside of DUP, presently, she can only attend to what is most pressing on the DUP-list of need-to-do's, so it's up to us right now to move the comps along by adding your vote, and making sure that if you start a comp, you aren't going to bail on it.  

Carry on! :)

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Is there any way hosts can award two "trophies" on their own?   I forwarded info on two comps I hosted where I awarded two awards in each - yet the information has not been updated.  I don't want the comps to fall into the pile of undecided.  

MadameLavender said:Ok, we're back in action again--been having a few website glitches but all seems well at the moment.  Just a friendly suggestion to those who only have their work stored here on DUP, and do with this what you will, but it's always a good idea to have a back-up, elsewhere, whether it be in print, CD, external drive/flashdrive or on your computer's hard drive.  With the extended downtime in the not so distant past, and the little downtimes of late, at least you can still access your writing if you have it elsewhere.  I'm not saying that DUP will crash again and never come back, but remember that nothing is entirely foolproof or permanent in this world, and after having a couple of computer crashes myself where I lost everything, years ago, I back things up all the time now.  

Competition voting:  still going slow, but keep the votes coming!  A suggestion was put forth to see about tweaking the voting process to speed it up a bit, but as the Webmiss is very busy outside of DUP, presently, she can only attend to what is most pressing on the DUP-list of need-to-do's, so it's up to us right now to move the comps along by adding your vote, and making sure that if you start a comp, you aren't going to bail on it.  

Carry on! :)

Go to page:
Go to: