Go to page:

Reality is a Mental Health Problem

Austin_Rura
Austin Rura
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 6th Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 327

Let's assume for a hypothetical moment that there is an underage person who sits and stays productive through art, reading and under the table work. No parties or friends. This young persons family is hooked on heroin and crack and although this youth has never tried a hard drug, save a funny cigarette, has had everything stolen from him by his uncle, brother and even father. This youth stayed loyal to his poor mother whom has been abused and left for dead by the above. He is 21 now... No address... No birth certificate social security card or ID so no legal work. Now, hypothetical over, I have recently learned that if you are destitute... if you lost everything you own and have no way to fight to survive legally... the state will say you could use councling. I don't have hallucinations so I do not have a mental illness... I am motivated always so I am not clinically depressed... Yet... Because I understand the mortality of this situation and am vocal about my health concerns of sleeping in abandoned houses of asbestos rats and mold and a blistering hot storage unit with no water and am even polite to social workers and advisors by the dozens... I don't need food water shelter and work... your god forbid... I just need to sit and shoot the breeze with some asshole that's not even a certified professional. Just a rant really but what y'all think?

MidnightWriterGkno
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 15th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 4

If reality is indeed, which I strongly agree,  a mental ailment...what would be a good vaccination ?

MsRockyJackson
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 1st July 2014
Forum Posts: 318

In a way reality is like a mental problem: it's something you can't fix on your own without help.
You can try getting by, you can try ignoring the problem all together or you can try resulting to being the most angry and cold person on the planet, but in the end that option will only make you lonely and even more depressed than you need to be. My point is whatever you decide is what will lead you to the path you are willing to take. Sure what happened with your family wasn't your fault and it wasn't however I will say from experience with personal demons of my own that I would much rather not get into since in the end me comparing my life to yours wouldn't fully help you in your case but anyways learning from my problems I've realized that the people around us kind of affect us and the choices we make in life, but that doesn't mean you should fully blame them for turning out the way that you did you can blame them for all the shit they did to you, you can blame them for not letting you have the chance to get an identity so basically it's like you don't exist, you can even blame them for making your most of your life a living hell but in the end all you can do is forgive and move on and I know what you're thinking forgiving? Really? Well I've said that many times and I'm young so it's not easy for me either but trust me when you don't put much thought to it and more into the whole moving on thing you'll be able to get by. But anyways as for your current situation and choosing to at least start over which can be somewhat possible if you can find the right sources and know what to do it can be possible. But all I can say is stay safe and hopefully you are able to find somewhere warm and actually safe to be in for the night and hopefully one day get on your feet and restart a new, wholesome life.
Take care ✌🏼️

poet Anonymous

I've come to learn that it's not always the professionals that make people feel better.

Sometimes it's people in other families, towns, or even countries. Sometimes it's drinking with a trusted person until you feel you can talk. Sometimes it's going out into the dark and screaming until you feel better.

We are human, and we crave companionship. We crave for another person to stand up and say "hey, me too!". We crave to be identified as a worthy equal rather than a social failure.

So no, I don't think it's just a rant at all. It's a logical means of survival in an all too cruel roulette.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Miss_Sub said:Sometimes it's going out into the dark and screaming until you feel better.

OMG! You want society to accept you and not label you a misfit, then stop doing that! I'm trying to sleep FFS...

But seriously, connecting with other misfits does have health benifits.

They say three misfits makes an ideal therapy triangle, and triangles are geometrically strong... or am I getting confused with love triangles? Ignore the last thing I said.

poet Anonymous

case28 said: OMG! You want society to accept you and not label you a misfit, then stop doing that! I'm trying to sleep FFS...

... if you can hear me from Australia, then girl has really got some issues

but yes. I'm definitely in the 'finding other misfits has health benefits' camp. Mutual weirdness.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

I've just started reading a book on social neuroscience that claims human connection is even more important to us than our basic need for food and shelter.

When we read about people within our community, like Austin, who is either hypothetically speaking or is possibly homeless and in a pretty shit situation, who likely feels isolated due to his family's social and drug problems, but despite all this, he finally says he doesn't need food, water, shelter or work, he just wants to shoot the breeze... It does appear for some of us, the need to connect is essential to keep sane and survive.

poet Anonymous

I totally fit myself into that category. Loneliness is one hell of a burden to carry.

poet Anonymous

I'm not sure freedom is literal though - freedom is an ideal. If you define it, it automatically becomes restricted.

poet Anonymous

Yes, but freedom is a state of mind. Not a word.

poet Anonymous

But even breathing is slavery. It's a confinement we did not ask for. By definition, we are prisoners who think we are free.

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2254

Tell me
how does it
feel
I would like to know
losing yourself
piece
by piece