Page:

sexism and discrimination

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 417

it should seem obvious from all the talk and all the laws about discrimination, but im curious what is really happening that is discriminatory.... give us your story about you personally being discriminated against because of your sex or color..........

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

yeah yeah i know white guys arent supposed to be discriminated against but i promise thats a lie.... heres one of my stories..

1989 i had a decent job at a big toy manufacturer ( you would know the name) i lived in arkansas... i was told time after time by people with 2/3 my iq that i wouldnt get anywhere without a degree.... after my 3rd 3% raise i believed them and quit... i heard from some friends they had a very hard time replacing me and regretted losing me...
1991 started school at u of a .... looking for a job that fit my life.... found an ad in the paper for usa trucking needing an office person to take the paper work from the drivers and process it... i had a class a cdl and had driven trucks for a while but didnt like the time away from my family. i had seen all the paperwork including handling the export documents for the toy company there was nothing about this job i didnt know... it was the hours i needed to stay in school....i felt great i knew there was no one better for this than me....then the woman in charge of the office scoffs at me and says " i dont know why they would send you to me, they know i only want women on my floor." she went on to suggest that i work in the shop or drive again..

straight to my face she said it didnt matter that i could do the job she would rather train a woman....

i went to a lawyer after my family wouldnt leave it alone.

lawyer said "believe me i wish i could sue for you, but the laws on this matter are to protect them from you not you from them"

nothing i could do, so i dropped it got a job for less pay and worse hours and got my degree but i know my family suffered from it......

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

Update.......   Wow no replies..... There must not be any actual descimination going on.... We should all celebrate....

mysteriouslady
Tyrant of Words
United States 15awards
Joined 11th Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 2400

chump said:Update.......   Wow no replies..... There must not be any actual descimination going on.... We should all celebrate....

sometimes talking of said subjects, people become too passionate and that could lead to trouble...Says a woman of course.

Your post actually made me laugh. It was silly. I liked it. <3

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

mysteriouslady said:

sometimes talking of said subjects, people become too passionate and that could lead to trouble...Says a woman of course.

Your post actually made me laugh. It was silly. I liked it. <3
silly and you liked it......made you laugh...
Too bad the men in charge before you could vote didn't think it was silly and laugh at you. Then we might not live in such a fucked up world.

mysteriouslady
Tyrant of Words
United States 15awards
Joined 11th Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 2400

chump said:silly and you liked it......made you laugh...
Too bad the men in charge before you could vote didn't think it was silly and laugh at you. Then we might not live in such a fucked up world.

this world will always be fucked up due to money and power and money own everything. At least I have my own mind to feel something is silly. They may want to come and take that away one day as well.

MllePogany
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 18th July 2016
Forum Posts: 12

@chump

I'm sorry about your experience. No one deserves to be treated like that and dismissed outright.

Things have gotten somewhat better over the past 35 years - in my field of science there were very few women on the faculty of any university, and all had a hard time advancing through the ranks. Now things have gotten better but it's still an issue. With respect to underrepresented groups such as African-American, Hispanic, even Asian - their numbers within faculty rolls are negligible. In the case of AA and Hispanic students, it's hard to recruit them into science to begin with, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy- very few role models, each new student has to open a new path. But the field is missing out on a lot of talent because of this. And other science fields (physics for example) are much much worse. Condescension still reigns supreme in many places and instances.

I didn't think your post was funny. I thought it was tragic. I hope there will be a day when skin color and ethnicity will be things we are completely blind to - they are irrelevant.

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

MllePogany said:@chump

I'm sorry about your experience. No one deserves to be treated like that and dismissed outright.

Things have gotten somewhat better over the past 35 years - in my field of science there were very few women on the faculty of any university, and all had a hard time advancing through the ranks. Now things have gotten better but it's still an issue. With respect to underrepresented groups such as African-American, Hispanic, even Asian - their numbers within faculty rolls are negligible. In the case of AA and Hispanic students, it's hard to recruit them into science to begin with, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy- very few role models, each new student has to open a new path. But the field is missing out on a lot of talent because of this. And other science fields (physics for example) are much much worse. Condescension still reigns supreme in many places and instances.

I didn't think your post was funny. I thought it was tragic. I hope there will be a day when skin color and ethnicity will be things we are completely blind to - they are irrelevant.
the concept of having equal numbers of men and women or skin color in all things is insane.. And is a policy I believe will have a similar effect to that of communism.  Blind to sex and color Is exactly what we need but it is the opposite of what we have. Women want more because they are women and colors want more because of their color and there is only one place to take it from..  The white and the men

lolapaluuza
Strange Creature
Joined 9th July 2021
Forum Posts: 2

I think I've heard sexist jokes in every job I do.

Page:
Go to: