Go to page:

prison, college, gender, and the future

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 417

the prisons are filling up, with mostly men.
the colleges are filing up with mostly women.
what will the future look like.......

the 1980's ended the slow steady gain in prison population that is expected with population growth. since then the prison numbers have about doubled every decade....
at the same time enrollment in college started a similar spike up for women and down for men...

i have included the link to three charts for your viewing horror..  what happened in the 80's that started this downward trend for men? how will it end?.. this is a thread to voice your ideas about why it happened if it should, should we stop it, why and if so how.

this is not just for men women please join us this may be more important to you than us because if it goes real bad women have more to lose than men...

http://static.prisonpolicy.org/images/genderinc.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/US_incarceration_timeline-clean.svg/2000px-US_incarceration_timeline-clean.svg.png

http://higheredlive.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Chart1-e1327541274431.jpg

i wish i could get these charts to show here but i cant.... any moderator that can please do

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

i will start this of with just one thought.. most college students are getting gov aid.... gov aid is based partly on if you have a child.....

poet Anonymous

You have to add ["img"] ["/img"] tag on you link without the "" ok.

MayRayn
May Rayn
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 10th May 2016
Forum Posts: 113

I think your premise here  - "i will start this of with just one thought.. most college students are getting gov aid.... gov aid is based partly on if you have a child....."
- is fallacious.

Check out the following fallacies in logic:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

lotuslover
Gypsy_Rose
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 3rd Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 100

I think places like where I'm from, Missouri, the prison system is a revolving door to keep already stereotyped people in the system and the government aid here is a systematic joke meant to impoverish poverty level welfare recipients in astonishing amounts of debt. But when people like me, who work hard, hit a rough patch, I don't qualify for state aid or government lending and I'm not an ex con so I'm left to suffer as my tax dollars go to waste on some chick who keeps popping out kids and smoking reefer at my expense I see it everyday.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

if we're talking about the US prison system:

what happened in the 80s ?   ....crack cocaine

why are men populating prisons at an alarming rate  ....crack cocaine and other drugs / guns/ gangs

..prison system in US is run on a for profit bases. ...supply and demand etc ..or if you prefer  " slave nation "
(

lotuslover
Gypsy_Rose
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 3rd Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 100

lepperochan said:if we're talking about the US prison system:

why are men populating prisons at an alarming rate  ....crack cocaine and other drugs / guns/ gangs

..prison system in US is run on a for profit bases. ...supply and demand etc ..or if you prefer  " slave nation "
(

Very real fact that its a profit sharing network with probation and parole on the waiting end to collect restitution

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

One of the biggest problems I have with these numbers are the nebulous definition of college.  Most people with children that receive gov't aid for education aren't going to two or four year colleges, they're going to "technical" colleges, which are mostly scams.  Commercials promising living wage jobs that aren't and help obtaining gov't loans, that the student likely will not make enough money to pay back and thus be haunted by for the rest of their lives.

I believe the gov't should be extending loans for actual trade schools, giving priority to skilled trades in which we currently have a deficit of workers and that pay living wages, thus increasing the likelihood of  getting the money back.

Actually I think anyone accepting gov't loans for education/skilled trade training should have to perform community service using the knowledge/skills acquired.  

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

MayRayn said:I think your premise here  - "i will start this of with just one thought.. most college students are getting gov aid.... gov aid is based partly on if you have a child....."
- is fallacious.

Check out the following fallacies in logic:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc
. .
Saying it isn't true because it doesn't prove it is true is just a stupid as saying it is true when it doesn't prove it.... I stated a fact and implied that it was maybe a factor. Glad there is wiki for you to learn the stuff that I learned in high school....

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

lotuslover said:I think places like where I'm from, Missouri, the prison system is a revolving door to keep already stereotyped people in the system and the government aid here is a systematic joke meant to impoverish poverty level welfare recipients in astonishing amounts of debt. But when people like me, who work hard, hit a rough patch, I don't qualify for state aid or government lending and I'm not an ex con so I'm left to suffer as my tax dollars go to waste on some chick who keeps popping out kids and smoking reefer at my expense I see it everyday..

Thank you.... Every woman that I see who understands this gives me more hope for the future...

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

lepperochan said:if we're talking about the US prison system:

(
are you saying that women don't do drugs?.. What the hell is a coke whore then?.. Them men are in prison because they are the ones being prosecuted. And way more than people realize are in for not being able to pay your child support
... I know because I spent way to much time and money getting my kids from my drunkwhorrex. And drugs and guns have been a part of america since the beginning...what happened in the 80's was the mass exceptance of handicapping men and promoting women in the guise of equality but no stopping point was defined and it is taking its toll on american men..

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

Trixareforkids said:One of the biggest problems I have with these numbers are the nebulous definition of college.  Most people with children that receive gov't aid for education aren't going to two or four year colleges, they're going to "technical" colleges, which are mostly scams.  Commercials promising living wage jobs that aren't and help obtaining gov't loans, that the student likely will not make enough money to pay back and thus be haunted by for the rest of their lives.

I believe the gov't should be extending loans for actual trade schools, giving priority to skilled trades in which we currently have a deficit of workers and that pay living wages, thus increasing the likelihood of  getting the money back.

Actually I think anyone accepting gov't loans for education/skilled trade training should have to perform community service using the knowledge/skills acquired.  

Trix for president

paulinadionne96
Lost Thinker
1awards
Joined 18th Oct 2016
Forum Posts: 30

why is it every forum i read from this guy feels like its hatred for women? there's no need to compares sexes , anybody can go to prison  ,anybody can go to college the number of sexes is going to be different it isn't the case of 'men are the only ones being prosecuted' women do go to prison too so what if the number is slightly higher for men it doesn't exactly change the world we live in.

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

paulinadionne96 said:why is it every forum i read from this guy feels like its hatred for women? there's no need to compares sexes , anybody can go to prison  ,anybody can go to college the number of sexes is going to be different it isn't the case of 'men are the only ones being prosecuted' women do go to prison too so what if the number is slightly higher for men it doesn't exactly change the world we live in.if questioning the fairness of political policy between men and women and stating repeatedly that I am for equality is hatred then I guess so.. But you may detect a hint of well earned animosity in my poetry if you can call it that.. And I don't think you looked at the charts.. Its not a slight difference. If this was a chart of men's salaries being higher than women's instead of people in prison, we would pass a law to even it out...

Oh wait, we already did that..

And a couple of frames up I just voted for a woman for president. And if she was running I would really do it. Is that hate?

paulinadionne96
Lost Thinker
1awards
Joined 18th Oct 2016
Forum Posts: 30

chump said:if questioning the fairness of political policy between men and women and stating repeatedly that I am for equality is hatred then I guess so.. But you may detect a hint of well earned animosity in my poetry if you can call it that.. And I don't think you looked at the charts.. Its not a slight difference. If this was a chart of men's salaries being higher than women's instead of people in prison, we would pass a law to even it out...

Oh wait, we already did that..

And a couple of frames up I just voted for a woman for president. And if she was running I would really do it. Is that hate?
  are you a trump supporter by any chance? unless this is just what we call "locker room talk"

Go to page:
Go to: