What does the future hold for humans with AI advancement?

50.00% • 3 votes • We're all fucked! The computers are going enslave the human race and take over the world. Unplug your...
33.33% • 2 votes • 01000101 01111000 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101101 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100001!
16.67% • 1 vote • Embrace technology! AI can create a better world through advanced technology that humans can not yet fathom.
0% • 0 votes • I'm willing to become a battery just to live in a ultra virtual Matrix reality world somewhere in the cloud... fuck reality!
0% • 0 votes • My name is Kyle Reese... come with me if you want to live.
Total votes: 6
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Page:

What does the future hold for humans with AI advancement?

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

I know there's a lot to take in, information overload can paralyse the mind... except if you're a super smart computer programmed to think.

Let's face it, in our lifetime Artificial Intelligence is going to be better than humans in so many ways, they've beaten our best at chess [no big deal... so they've proved they can win our wars], Jeopardy [and win a game show that's as exciting as watching somebody solve a cryptic crossword] and now they've thrashed our world champion at GO! Who the fuck knows how to play GO?!?

The fact that we humans have been beaten at GO is a big deal, because of the infinite number of possible moves, which is currently impossible for an AI to compute even at super fast speeds that computers think. The thing is that in order to be good at playing GO you need to be able to think creatively, because the game isn't so straight aren't forward as chess.

So if AI can now be programmed to think creatively, not only will we have computers driving us to work... fuck that! We'll be making them do our jobs, fighting our wars, curing us of disease and transplanting bionic organs inside our bodies... but will they write us rock ballads better than Meatloaf, paint masterpieces to hang in art galleries alongside our greats like Picasso and the other dude who sliced off his ear, write bestselling novels better than Harry Potter and 50 Shades?

The big question is could AI one day write poetry, better than Bukowski... or better than our Lobo or John Rot?

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

Fine question. This article is probably the best and most realistic layman's primer on the subject;

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-2.html

To have a decent discussion you first need to define AI. We are already living with a huge amount of AI, most notably in our smart phones and on Google (they are learning 'you' faster than you know). The real conversation of interest is around ASI (artificial super-intelligence) which is a genuine existential threat to humans, for some very good reasons.

I've had a go at expressing one potential outcome;

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/196392-stones-in-the-house-of-god/

In terms of direct effects, yes they can 'do' art and creative pursuits. Yes they will (and are right now) replacing much of our workforce (don't think labour, think white-collar jobs).

There is no practical reason why AI can't create a fully functioning and self-aware machine, infinitely smarter and better at anything we can do. No one working in the field disputes this, they only quibble about timeframes.

The more important question is what will happen when we are no longer the smartest thing on the planet. Our only advantage over everything we have completely dominated on this earth is our intelligence....so what happens when we come second?

I for one fully intend to integrate, upload, and go full fucking cyborg.....

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

hemihead said:
I for one fully intend to integrate, upload, and go full fucking cyborg.....

This is on my to read list: The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83518?source=ebfg_email

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

the win at Go is a relatively important step towards something actually important but not all that different from the first time a computer won at chess.(actually important = most likely human extinction)
..in my opinion.

KittyFromHell
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 31st May 2013
Forum Posts: 654

Hiding in the most backwoods area I can find away from civilization is sounding more and more appealing

Page:
Go to: