Go to page:

dizzy from all the Spin ?

blocat
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 1st Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 241

It's so easy to apply labels to people in an effort to understand them. In doing so we often miss the truth of them. The guy who murdered all those innocent people in Florida is one sick bastard. Muslim, Homophobe are just labels that do not adequately describe him.
Like the guy who shot and stabbed to death Jo Cox a young wife, mother and a member of the British parliament simply for standing up for her beliefs.
These people are mentally ill. They are mostly ignored as 'harmless nuts' until it's too late. We as a society need to take more notice and act on information. Not easy I know and not the full solution by a long way but a start at least..
Thank god that in Britain we have strict gun controls.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

@ forgotten mum

that's something at least. I mean  I would imagine it would be easy enough to be in fear of stuff like that, plus fear for the kids (for me anyway) always lurks anyway, so I'd probably ban my kids from leaving the house ever again

Blocat

people need something to blame. it makes loss a little easier. it happens all the time in families or games like football, rugby etc (mostly blamed on the ref)

I think what's a little blatant obout the two events last week is how the media presented the stories.

also stuff like that is siezed upon by polictics. you may have saw David Cameron yesterday, straight after his ..kind of tribute to Jo Cox, he uttered the newest catcphrase for remaining in Europe  "...Brittain stays and fights "

poet Anonymous

@ forgotten mum

that's something at least. I mean  I would imagine it would be easy enough to be in fear of stuff like that, plus fear for the kids (for me anyway) always lurks anyway, so I'd probably ban my kids from leaving the house ever again ....

They're adults. I'll just shut up.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

The only spin I've seen thus far is from idiots like Trump and Scott Walker trying to portray the shooting as an act of foreign terrorism.

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2915

“The news isn't there to tell you what happened. It's there to tell you what it wants you to hear or what it thinks you want to hear.

Joss Whedon

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013

Speaking of the Donald, Wednesday ought to be interesting, what with an illegal Englishman already trying to kill him, albeit a little ill-conceived. I like how sky tried to spin that one, saying he went for the cops gun coz he couldn't legally buy one.

I wonder how hitlary will react to this if it happens http://www.infowars.com/trump-announces-plan-for-crooked-hillary-takedown/

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

meh 42

poet Anonymous

Carpe_Noctem said:“The news isn't there to tell you what happened. It's there to tell you what it wants you to hear or what it thinks you want to hear.

Joss Whedon

My point exactly. I've been trying to get that through.

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

woah! conspiracy theory here. If the news isn't there to tell you what happened then why does it even exist, Of course it has a biased outlook based on the country from where it is being broadcast. It is almost impossible for people to remain neutral. Please stop wearing those tin foil hats.

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything

If you are happy to bury your head in the sand, don't be surprised when it gets cut off

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 417

i see two big topics here. one terrorist or not. answer, yes. by definition he is. what made him decide to be one is what is up for talk. i think all the reasons, religion, makes it easy with promise of kick ass afterlife. anger from the social turmoil in this country gave him the drive. im a non-vilolent dude, mostly content, but i feel the pressure and the injustice. im divorced, im a man,. im straight, its crazy out there and their meds are scary...
...issue 2 is the gun thing. dont take the only thing keeping many of us safe away because a lunitic uses one. then it would be cars to kill with. they would set fires, they always find away, guns are just the tool dujour . in fact we have no way of knowing if without a gun these nuts that kill would have killed more people with a different method.
.....this violence we are seeing is just the beginning. the media has civil unrest at heart, i express my anger about these issuse in my poetry not with a gun, but if thugs come knocking my bad poems wont stop them my gun will so i hope you get one too i want you to be safe..

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

blocat said:It's so easy to apply labels to people in an effort to understand them. In doing so we often miss the truth of them. The guy who murdered all those innocent people in Florida is one sick bastard. Muslim, Homophobe are just labels that do not adequately describe him.
Like the guy who shot and stabbed to death Jo Cox a young wife, mother and a member of the British parliament simply for standing up for her beliefs.
These people are mentally ill. They are mostly ignored as 'harmless nuts' until it's too late. We as a society need to take more notice and act on information. Not easy I know and not the full solution by a long way but a start at least..
Thank god that in Britain we have strict gun controls.

do you thank god for the highest crime rate in the freakin world also dude. god makes the rainbow devil makes the storm, a chap.....just like the media half a story dont mean nothin......

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014

hemihead said:My two cents: The US media is mostly in the hands of one or two people, who are very right wing in their political outlook. It is in their interests to spin this as an act of terrorism, and that is what is being done (CNN reporting focuses exclusively on the Islamic angle). The sensible dialogue about gun control has been effectively side-lined, or in fact made stronger doing this, as the fear of terrorism means that people feel like they need guns to be safe, even though all the credible data shows that more guns equals more gun violence.

The 'truth', is that a bad guy (through illness or homophobia or good old shitty parenting) decided to do something terrible, and was able to access very effective weapons to make mayhem.

The US conversation about 'assault rifles' is itself a smokescreen, as there is no clear definition of what an assault rifle is. It is true that many hunting rifles have higher muzzle velocities, also have rapid or automatic fire capability and have magazines as large or larger. The NRA have been quick to point this out.

The US people's fear of losing their right to bear arms, which was put in the constitution to protect them from their own government by being able to form a militia if required, is probably still a valid fear for a lot of citizens, as they have seen their own army used against them many times. The fallback of calling out the National Guard would scare the shit out of me...where I've lived the concept of putting armed soldiers on to the streets would bring massive civil unrest.

The truth seems to be that the US as a country accepts that they live in a country where there will continue to be mass shootings, and they accept this as part of the way they live.

An idea I think has merit is that the media should not be allowed to show/glorify the people who do this, as it gives the lesson that a high-powered weapon is an easy road to 15 minutes of fame....that's been proven by the FBI in their own studies on the issue, but they seem unable to get any traction in the political system...

Ugly mess, and not a way I would like to live. To be honest, if I lived in the US, I would concealed carry.

so censorship of the people is the answer?  glad you cant vote

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

911 calls have been redacted. that's censorship. one of the cops said the chances are they probably killed some of the patrons while trying to save them. the FIB says nobody was dead or injured until the police SWAT team entered the building

there's also anti-spin where when a bomb kills two hundred and fifty people it barely gets twenty seconds of news, or a push for face-bookers to use the Iraqi flag for their profile

Go to page:
Go to: