Go to page:

dizzy from all the Spin ?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

It's hard to get a grip on happenings when the media starts to spin.

the massacre which occured in Florida last week appears to be a prime example of conflicting stories.

The guy was an ISIS terrorist:

(a devout Muslim who frequented at least one gay bar for three years)

He'd been cleared to carry a weapon by a Floridian psychiatrist

(the woman in question says she didn't even have an office in Florida at the time. she did however pass another guy to carry arms who went on to murder two people in Iraq )

to me 'ISIS terrorist'  seems like an easy way to disguise "unstable gay American with a gun"

what do you think ?

poet Anonymous

AlQaeda's gone, ISIS appears, same people same wars..

iowahuman
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 19th Oct 2015
Forum Posts: 42

a terrible sickness existed in this man's mind - whether he was daesch or not - religion made him sick and gave him license -

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2915

How about the spin with  MP Joe Cox death.

for those that don't know, she was a labour mp campaigning for Britain to remain in the EU. Apparently... She was shot and stabbed multiple times by a right wing extremist who shouted Britain first

poet Anonymous

I tell you what, now a little more clean,
The guy was seeing a psychiatrist, i start to smell meds.
The guy had firearms, many of them.
The guy was hanging out in gay pub, was he really a gay or not, insane or forced?
The guy was born in USA, he probably has no clue about terrorism.
The guy was divorced, accused to be mentally ill. He has a family.
Bad meds and life Style like that made him insane, they try to hide is name for now, and he did it. 49 killed.

Too much to blame, doctors, medications, gay community, firearms sale policy, divorcing laws, so, let's play the terrortist card, once more, if it doesn't work, because of the election, and many want to use this case so they change some laws. But well, he was still an insane, but his doctor still said he could buy firearms, med's company said those meds were to make him live a normal life. Religion has nothing to do with it, no religion allow what happened. It was just a crazy guy who was very angry at his life, and the people around, he had the fireamrs, he had the meds to deviate his mind from thinking well and he did it. How many shoot down there are in clubs? This one was just a little bigger that the other ones. I finish here, i don't want to start a bad argument.

MayRayn
May Rayn
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 10th May 2016
Forum Posts: 113

I have not kept up very much but to me it sure seems like Matteen (sp?) was an incredibly  disturbed individual trying to turn his self-hate into something "bigger" than himself by linking it to ISIS' cause. Still makes it disturbed, sick, destructive, and showing contempt for life.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

are there any people here from Florida or other states who feel more unsafe or anxious for their children because of what happened

if so,  are you more afraid of people as a whole or strangers or forigners ?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Carpe_Noctem said:How about the spin with  MP Joe Cox death.

for those that don't know, she was a labour mp campaigning for Britain to remain in the EU. Apparently... She was shot and stabbed multiple times by a right wing extremist who shouted Britain first

I saw a photo of the guy holding a Britain first banner.  I'd have thought it political suicide to be attached to the shooting of an unarmed women with a good civil rights record

it's not uncommon for facism to aspire for and achieve a foothold in politics. the present government here has it's roots in Euro-facism

http://struggle.ws/freeearth/fe2_ireland.html

and there seems to be a growing appetite in Britain to court or revert to supporting thinly veiled facism like UKIP and Tories. so I'd be very surprised if Britain first sanctioned or abbetted the lady's death

media is very influential

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

iowahuman said:a terrible sickness existed in this man's mind - whether he was daesch or not - religion made him sick and gave him license -

to blame religion might be a little black and white. definite he was a sick man. perhaps religion have him an outlet in the end, but from what I understand he was violent since an early age and had no real interest in religion. his lifestyle or highlighted lifestyles would appear to support that

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

@iron fears

I think, like you say there could be countless things which contributed to his murder spree. I think Islamic revenge may have been the least of his motivating factors

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

MayRayn said:I have not kept up very much but to me it sure seems like Matteen (sp?) was an incredibly  disturbed individual trying to turn his self-hate into something "bigger" than himself by linking it to ISIS' cause. Still makes it disturbed, sick, destructive, and showing contempt for life.

it's not really clear if he linked himself to the cause or not. the media linked him to Islam first. his father is a bit of a nutcase.

notebook_always
Lost Thinker
Joined 18th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 1

Agree here. I think its a factor, not a cause. He never should have had a gun that powerful in the first place. I think the whole ISIS thing was added to fuel the fire against muslims. When the real culprit here is self hate ans homophobia

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

My two cents: The US media is mostly in the hands of one or two people, who are very right wing in their political outlook. It is in their interests to spin this as an act of terrorism, and that is what is being done (CNN reporting focuses exclusively on the Islamic angle). The sensible dialogue about gun control has been effectively side-lined, or in fact made stronger doing this, as the fear of terrorism means that people feel like they need guns to be safe, even though all the credible data shows that more guns equals more gun violence.

The 'truth', is that a bad guy (through illness or homophobia or good old shitty parenting) decided to do something terrible, and was able to access very effective weapons to make mayhem.

The US conversation about 'assault rifles' is itself a smokescreen, as there is no clear definition of what an assault rifle is. It is true that many hunting rifles have higher muzzle velocities, also have rapid or automatic fire capability and have magazines as large or larger. The NRA have been quick to point this out.

The US people's fear of losing their right to bear arms, which was put in the constitution to protect them from their own government by being able to form a militia if required, is probably still a valid fear for a lot of citizens, as they have seen their own army used against them many times. The fallback of calling out the National Guard would scare the shit out of me...where I've lived the concept of putting armed soldiers on to the streets would bring massive civil unrest.

The truth seems to be that the US as a country accepts that they live in a country where there will continue to be mass shootings, and they accept this as part of the way they live.

An idea I think has merit is that the media should not be allowed to show/glorify the people who do this, as it gives the lesson that a high-powered weapon is an easy road to 15 minutes of fame....that's been proven by the FBI in their own studies on the issue, but they seem unable to get any traction in the political system...

Ugly mess, and not a way I would like to live. To be honest, if I lived in the US, I would concealed carry.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

it's an idea right enough. there'd have to be thought put into movies, tv and video games. litriture too

American media seems to cater for elephants and donkeys. and uses a lowest common denominator strategy.

I think journalism on the whole has taken a dive downwards. in many respects media is progressivly agressive with telling us how we should think.

media has it's good points too of course. I like Jhon Stuart. and I liked me in my old broadcasting days.

another idea may be to take a lead from the Swiss book:

give everyone an assault weapon. train them to use it and have it locked in a safe in the house in case or until the country gets invaded

I get the impression ( if the general acceptance of violence theory is at all true) casualties of violence could be seen as collateral damage within the bigger picture of retaining the right to bear arms

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:are there any people here from Florida or other states who feel more unsafe or anxious for their children because of what happened

if so,  are you more afraid of people as a whole or strangers or forigners ?

I have two of mine at this very moment in Florida. No I don't fear for them. With their generation. What haven't they already seen. And, your right the media have been playing this. 24/7 I asked them about it. Their response " yeah,but we decided to go with our friends to see, Watching Dory". With my millennials, they're ,including what they would have to be worried about every f....ng  day . Choose to be happy, challenge life.
Anxiety leads to fear. Anxious of the unknown. Forigners, lol. Florida is a melting pot of forigners. Take for instance, my brother in law. He is from Belgium. Lived in Florida for 15 yrs. He speaks with an accent. Naturalized citizen. Because of his accent, he has more to worry about, than my offspring. And that's sad.
Like* Linkin Park plays, "In the End, it doesn't even matter. "*

Go to page:
Go to: