Go to page:

The TRUTH ? about English as a Language?

poet Anonymous

what do you think?
The transcript follows, and there is a spoken word (of sorts) at the link provided.

I'm interested in discussing this since language is so important to writers...
thanks

Video HERE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RttrUXb6mg

TRANSCRIPT:

“We’re going to cover word spells. How post-Mesopotamian language has had us under the Ol’ Abra-Cadaver trick…. the oldest control trick.. “Thou hast fallen for the eldest trick in the scroll! xD

how do i even begin? is it by telling you about how we’ve unwittingly been CAST into the MOLD of ancient SPELLS of our modern SPELLING? CAST just like a MOLD, or perhaps like a NET? while caught, like fish, in the net of spells and spelling that have been cast, thus SENTENCING us to LIFE SENTENCES and the CURSES of CURSIVE which are just TERMS, just like serving a PRISON TERM.

So we’ve been SENTENCED to the WARDS of these WORDS which can be deadly as SWORDS if misunderstood or perhaps you missed the understanding of my TERMS or the SYBILS of my SYLLABLES, or even the ancient RITES of writing??

We Languish in our languid Language, in anguish ever since the ancient times of the Anglish angus and the PhonY Phonic Phonics of the ancient Phoenician Phoenix. You think English is easy?

Sometimes I think English should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was created from the ancient Phonic Phonetics of the Phony Phoenician Phoenixes, and it reflects the creativity and cunning genius of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all, unless you’re just another rat, caught in the daily maze of the rat race of this human race against one another.

We draw money from our banks which are the edges of a river, which FLOWS in CURRENTS to the SEA, which is why its called CURRENCY, because our CASH FLOWS like pyroclastic ASH FLOWS toward the SEA, which is why we can trace back the ROOTS of all modern TRADE to the ancient Phoenician TRADE ROUTES,

and why our mundane weekdays seem to keep us in a perpetually WEAK DAZE, until we are so WEAKENED, that we barely make it to the WEEKEND. so each day, we routinely AWAKE in the MORNING, or is the Monday morning ritual conversely conversing a MOURNING at A WAKE for the dead?

And thus, the Bible speaks that the dead shall walk the earth, so it appears that they already are, without even knowing it, just by the strange language of which they know not the TRUE origins and what their words mean in etymology.
And the SIGNIFICANCE of the SIGNS and sins in SIGNIFICATION of their SIGNATURES on dead legal fictions like IDs and bills.

because our citizenship begins when we board the citizen SHIP, which sails the high seas carrying SEAMEN and it all begins when the male SHIP docks in its female SLOT or SLIP, also known as its BERTH, and unloads its CARGO or SEMEN, which sail up the WATERS of the CANAL.

So she gets pregnant and now carries the precious CARGO and will now give BIRTH to the new citizen that must now register to board the citizen SHIP and repeat the cycle all over again, until the citizens catch on to the ancient spells of the PHONY PHONETIC PHOENICIANS’ tools of commerce and piracy of the high seas and the human commodity through the use of their made up languid language, which gives us our modern english….”

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

Sort of how here in the USA, we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway ...😄

poet Anonymous

Exactly, ML
for you....

Back in the 1800s, for example, “parking” meant planting trees, flowers, and other bits of vegetation. A “parking place,” therefore, had nothing to do with stationary vehicles. Instead, it was a location specifically designed to encourage diverse, extensive plant growth for non-agricultural purposes.

Yet, many were soon commandeered for an entirely different objective. Historian Kirk Savagewrites, “By the turn of the century, such parking areas were sometimes used to hold horse-drawn carriages on special occasions...When automobiles started to overrun cities in the early twentieth century, parking areas were given over to car storage and the word began to refer to the cars themselves rather than the trees and grass they were replacing.”

During this transitional period, America’s parkways also began taking shape. Metropolitan reformers—who feared the health costs of industrial growth—started establishing wooded parks within cities nationwide, hoping their trees would make urban air more breathable. As automobiles rose in popularity, special car-friendly routes were carved through such parks. Unimaginatively, these were named “parkways”.

So parkways have nothing to do with the actual parking of vehicles. But what about “driveways”? Well, that particular word’s been around since at least 1884 and has essentially meant the same thing ever since—namely, a path that connects somebody’s private property to a public road. However, while lengthy driveways were once the norm (and, hence, enabled more driving), today’s average specimen is little more than a dinky personal parking station.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6692

What truth is being espoused? For surely it is mostly divorced from any purposeful truth.
I mean it is all nice to play with words and point out how they sound similar, but it does not quite reach any particular conclusion, beyond that of language being based on the past not the future. Many of the examples are only half-truths: other words and phrases can be used in their place that make more logical sense.
On a global side, the vaguery of the English Language is a diplomatic boon and bane: it is hard to take offence to words that may mean something else. It allows us to be vague and to hold tight the element of the unknown; forcing us to actually pay attention and not simply be content to always say what we mean. Life is too long to be exact in your words and thoughts.
If language be magic then not all are powerful wizards or sorcerers; we must learn and practice, not simply cast the words with but a lazy motion.

Now to the decryption, though such information may make you long for the crypt!
For etymology, the origin of a word or phrase, check out: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php as that is the decrypter I chose.

recite at a play; recite - "rehearsal or statement of relevant facts", therefore you rehearse or restate words in a play, or 'at' a play if it is taken that the play is at a location of importance such as a school play.
play at a recital - "from West Germanic *plegan* 'occupy oneself about' opposed to work", therefore you occupy yourself in a non-work activity that involves reciting, rehearsing or stating.
ship by truck - ship [verb] means to transport, therefore transport by truck.
cargo by ship - cargo [noun] comes from Spanish meaning 'burden' and is mostly connected with goods or freight or items that are shipped. There is no need to say 'shipped by ship' as a ship [noun] already transports making the ship [verb] useless.
nose that runs - the nose is taken to run [verb] as in flow: the nose flows meaning liquid flows from it.
feet that smell - the feet have an odour and can be smelt by others.
Therefore the nose cannot be said to smell in such a situation as the liquid flows, which is more important than whether the liquid has an odour or not. The feet do not run, as they have an odour that is perceived, rather than the odour flowing off them like liquid.
burn up - a phrase that seems a bit archaic for modern use, but refers to a thing being flammable and combustible: it burns up and catches fire regardless of which direction it faces.
burns down - a thing burns down, like a building, as that refers to the effect of gravity and support and is closer to the truth: 'to burn down' refers to being destroyed and consumed by fire. Therefore it burns up as in catches fire, but burns down as in will be destroyed or has been destroyed by fire.
fill in, fill out - the form is filled 'in' by details being entered, but has been filled 'out' as in it is out of details to be entered.
alarm goes off, going on - (bit weird phrasing?) 'goes off' as in activate, while 'go on' refers to the thing turning on. A barrier, like a water barrier could 'go off' while 'going off' as in activate by turning off, by having first been 'on' and letting water pass.
currency - Latin 'currens'  1650s meaning 'condition of flowing' referring to money being circulated, as opposed to hoarded or kept. Not to do with being by the riverside.
week days, weak daze - ah you yanks and your 'z' as in zee when the blighties say it as 'zed', as a blight upon your phrasing. Therefore making it week days (hiss for s sibilance) followed by daze (day-zed-e or day-zuh not day-se like daisy as in flower).
morning: morn - contracted, meaning shortened version, of Middle English 'morwen' based upon earlier 'morgen' as in the Germanic 'morgen'. Guten Morgen: Good morning.
mourning/ mourn - from Proto-Germanic 'murnan' which means "to remember sorrowfully", mourn as in grieve and be sad.
citizenship - 'citizen' meaning inhabitant of a city from the 14th Century Anglo-French 'citezein' meaning "city-dweller". The suffice 'ship' or rather '-ship' means quality or condition. Therefore citizenship can roughly mean inhabitant (not necessarily of a city) who has conditions and qualities that are status and rights.
carrying seamen - a sailor "Old English sæmanna [plural]; see sea + man". (Ships in this modern age carry sailors: one who sails, rather than just seamen, men who sail, though an all male crew or all male ship could be said to have seamen.
semen - Latin 14th Century as in seed of plants or animals.

Thus ends the lesson.

Thought for the day: For those who butcher language repay them in kind with words and arguments that butcher their false attempts therein killing their ideas and mistakes but not their body or self.

poet Anonymous

Viddax, thanks for taking time to comment here.
I'd agree that no real conclusion is drawn, I take it to mean that we often use words without any thought or understanding
of the etymology or even real definition of the words we use. Language has been dumbed down in many ways.
For maybe my own reasons, I am all for the end of being careful with what we say. At least to the dramatic PC levels of present. I have selfish motives here though because I have aspergers syndrome and am always being taken wrong. I think people are hyper sensitive to words.
I stumbled across the beauty and ugliness of English when I was learning Spanish..similar to your example-The English teacher-teaches English or is from England? Try to teach English to a non speaker and see the absurdity when you can only answer questions with--because it just IS THAT WAY.

I do think he alludes to a great point without making it and that is the relation of our Birth and the paperwork associated with it, even with how our names are in all CAPS on bills. There is a link to greater conspiracies there.  

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

poet Anonymous

and after thinking more on this, I am contemplating how people are tuned out to many words and hyper tuned in to others.
comes back to being too many sheep, I guess. culturally programmed.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

Oh I am far from a fan of all this political correctness, especially when the whole thing is absurd in that you cannot use this word or that word in case you may offend and such nitpicking means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Plus there is always a stupid 'alternative' or friendly version based on neutrality, that does not properly convey what you mean or refer to. Besides which, it is not the words that need to change but the definition and thought behind them.
If 'slave' suddenly changed into meaning efficient and tireless worker, a collective word for every positive trait of a worker, then being called a slave in a work context would become a positive and honourable thing.

The utter daftness of being tuned into what celebrity gossip there is or how someone looks or what latest gadgets we have, while ignoring the infinite existence of space as our earth runs out of resources to make gadgets and the atmosphere burns up to then cause all those celebrities to drown like the rest of us.

I have to confess that my responses to such things often seem to come across as more vehement and bitter than they should be, because I dislike the new and young energy that destroys the status quo without having a better alternative. If its not broke don't fix it, if it is broke replace it! Plus I am somewhat envious of the hip and young that change the world and make waves in it, while I seem old before my time.

Is just that way? - I absolutely hate that.
Nothing is just that way 'because it is'. Anything and everything can bend and change, and has some sort of reason. With language it often is based on history so the complex mistaken words of today were better suited in the past and in a different older language. Just saying 'because it is' sounds rather lazy to me (not necessarily aimed at you miki, more the use of the poor excuse) when a little knowledge may go a long way.
On top of that, language is not set in stone (unlike hieroglyphs ha ha!) so can change. If someone comes up with a better word then they are free to use it and promote it, the gods know there are more than enough words to go around.

This probably sounds like a rant and it semi is/was, but not particularly at the topic in hand.

poet Anonymous

I don't mind the rant. Freedom of speech is dying and censorship is rampant.
People have no idea of how to disagree and let it be anymore.
and with regard to saying it just is that way, sometimes it just is.
example- why do you have
wear
were
where
we're
and they are all pronounced the same way?

if you would have had the energy to address those type questions from English as a second language students who are merely complaining about the absurdity, then you should teach. I mean that.
That said, I was doing it part time to help pay my own way through school and I had a full time job and was a widow with a child..
so, I could have been lazy about it too.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

How weird and mad do the fates wind and mend! I actually have thought about teaching, and then seriously thought about it by doing the first few steps but got no further.
I happily can and will answer those type of questions, though not out of kindness, but out of an ambitious hunger for knowledge and order. It is easy to seem intelligent on the internet, all the finite sources to use to counter with and be 2nd voice: the voice that corrects rather than stumbles 1st out.
It is a sad state of affairs when the world cannot argue and disagree intelligently in order to reach a catharsis, or have enough inner peace to just let it lie. The modern age seems so busy watching its words to never properly speak or be calm, always on edge looking for the offence and next violence.

wear [verb] from the Old English 'werian' from Proto-Germanic 'wazjan' or Old Norse 'verja'.
were [verb] from the Old English 'waeron' and 'weare'.
where [adjective] from the Old English 'hwaer' or 'hwar' meaning 'at what place'.
we're - contraction of we are.
Basically people got lazy and or comfortable with the words and shortened them down. Each word however is context heavy and sounds slightly different yet is often confusing to those who miss the nuance and small difference. 'wear' like 'ware' as in 'beware'. 'were' like 'wer' similar to the myrrh from 'gold, frankincense and myrrh', silent 'e' at the end. 'where' as in 'w-here' like wa-here connected to direction. 'we're' as in 'we are' similar in sound to 'wear' but connected to people not location.
Having explained all that to no one in particular!

The absurdity of the language is that it could be said to rely more on the heart than the head: the words rely more on feeling and sense of definition when spoken than logically being completely different. On paper and when written the absurdity allows double meaning and conjoining sentences, rather than logically being direct or having meanings and information separated by sentence.

"Min, did you put the cat out?"
"No, it wasn't on fire." - Robin Hood and His Merry Men by The Goons.

Bloodnok: It's a copper.
Spriggs: I'm not a policeman!
Bloodnok: I beg your pardon, madam.
Spriggs: I'm not a policewoman either!
Bloodnok: I say, you're cutting it rather fine, aren't you?. - Six Charlies in Search of an Author, also by The Goons.

poet Anonymous

maybe this is your life changing bell ringing.

teachers are needed everywhere.

I will disagree with what you say about English being more heart than head. If you speak any of the 5 romance languages it is immediately obvious that English is seriously lacking in the emotion/sentiment area.
And the above explanations given for the list of words, if given for every word set
i.e. here hear
where, wear
etc... when again the complaint isn't etymology and origins, it is why do they all sound the same.
it really has to be said, and has been by everyone I've known who teaches English as a second language,
that you must memorize the words, those questions can be looked at once you understand the language but to stop on all those bits you'd never actually be able to converse. Well. maybe a genius and in years.

English for English speakers in an English speaking country is entirely different than English looked at
in comparison to Spanish or Arabic.
We know to listen to the entire sentence to find the meaning of the word or use other
indicators, like intonation.

to someone who doesn't speak English naturally, hearing
Wear that skirt
and
where's that skirt
will simply get frustrated and ask..WHY do they sound alike?

if you would really explain that on every count it also misses the point that
you should know if you ever teach
not all questions are asked looking for answers ( with Aspergers I can't seem to truly learn this)
but it is an expression of frustration.

I ended with a Psych degree though, LOL
so I would expect me to look at it from that perspective.

we will be homeschooling our daughter so we are studying Montessori methods
and comparing them to others.
Language is learned easiest the first 5 years and all kids can be easily bi-lingual by 3.

and we totally agree on the political correctness issues. Even the people who are saying things I find truly despicable
should have their free speech protected as that is the point of it.

was thinking its funny people throw around "love" like it is nothing, making it cliche'
but say "cunt" and watch the upheaval.

anyway, this is obviously a boring topic to most and I thought it might be interesting when I posted it.
I started this thread in a moment of desperation because i was stressed out. Wanted some neutral thing to ponder.
Lesson Learned.

Thanks for all your time, Viddax

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

Not boring at all, well lol, at least not to this word nerd.  I've found the discussion quite interesting and entertaining.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

I can agree that English is not heart as in romantic, but I thought more along the lines of heart as in touchy-feely illogical woollen-headedness; where it does not make sense or even sound that well but is used so often. Must be the weather, whether it is raining or dry or clear probably does something to the language: makes it vague and strange to reflect the weather. It does seem to be rather lacking in the sentiment area 'love!' and also the exact and scientific area 'being!'. That polite awkwardness has seeped into the language as it is ashamed and a bit embarrassed to ponder so deeply. Or maybe not!?

I hope I gave you something neutral to ponder, though had I actually seen and read your frustration perhaps the proselytising could have waited and something more easy and entertaining taken its place. Having said that I probably would have still tried to explain it away an give the frustration some catharsis.  I suppose they sound so similar as it is along the lines of George Orwell's 'Doublespeak': a limited amount of sounds and expressions because it is simply easier and what is used to.

Talk about body parts and chaos ensues: perfectly natural, normal, functional body parts that either you have or the other sex has.
Yet, sum up your desires and feelings with 'like' and 'love' and no one bats an eyelid. The same worn out whored words for a wonder that changes your perception of reality and your very attitude to existence and interactions with other objects and beings. The connection of two beings, two minds that have material presence yet supersede the material definition with a longer time spanning one, and their relation that relies upon thousands of interchanging atoms and yet is still greater than the sum of its material parts. A relationship beyond causality as it is one in infinity never to be repeated again.
All that and much more, much more amore, summed up by the lacking word 'love'!

poet Anonymous

thanks, Trix

Viddax, it is like Orwell's 1984 , the language control
the distraction, the propaganda and short attention spans, the controlled media.
As you so eloquently stated, the double speak
it is part of the divide and conquer and mass distraction.

In spite of my self pity over having to so deeply address these issues instead of  enjoy the light banter I aimed for,
I'm actually very pleased that you took enough time to care. This passion for language from a writer is almost unheard of!!
lol jk

I have always loved language. sometimes love/hate.

"The connection of two beings, two minds that have material presence yet supersede the material definition with a longer time spanning one, and their relation that relies upon thousands of interchanging atoms and yet is still greater than the sum of its material parts. A relationship beyond causality as it is one in infinity never to be repeated again. "

I like that a lot.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

It's a language so fucked up we can have even more fun with it.

MayRayn
May Rayn
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 10th May 2016
Forum Posts: 113

Actually, English is very cool in that it's extremely flexible and avidly absorbs words from other languages as well as incorporating new meanings for old words. Both of these occur at rates I think supersede those of other languages. And we don't have (much of) a "language police" like the French do. Their grammar nazis have much less humor than ours. On the other hand, English did not start out as particularly rich in vocabulary (I can only compare with Romance languages with which I'm familiar).

Go to page:
Go to: