Page:

use your words

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Every poem I write is an opportunity to create something that I haven't done before. It is the primary reason why I have shied away from traditional forms. I do catch myself here and there recycling particular words rhymed, usually after years have passed.

Do you find yourself running to the same well too often in regards to form, rhymes, particular words, content and or genre?

MayRayn
May Rayn
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 10th May 2016
Forum Posts: 113

I am not big on forms either, except as challenges to myself. But I do find, the more I write, that I seem to have a rhythm, almost a lilt, that my poems sometimes "fall into" - it's a personal meter that sounds right to my ear. I imagine others do the same but when I write poetry, I sound out the words in my head, and so I am also very responsive to the sounds that words make together. I'm curious about others' experience - maybe everyone does this?

Something you didn't mention but I've wondered about is a sweet spot for length. My poems often fall in two or three length ranges - 60-80 or 120-150 words, and very very rarely longer. In fact, I find it daunting to write epic-style poems. I often wonder at how others seem to do this so effortlessly. But I also confess that my attention span doesn't go for very long poems - that ADD thang kicks in and... what's that over there? pretty...

MayRayn
May Rayn
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 10th May 2016
Forum Posts: 113

.... double post

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

MayRayn said:I am not big on forms either, except as challenges to myself. But I do find, the more I write, that I seem to have a rhythm, almost a lilt, that my poems sometimes "fall into" - it's a personal meter that sounds right to my ear. I imagine others do the same but when I write poetry, I sound out the words in my head, and so I am also very responsive to the sounds that words make together. I'm curious about others' experience - maybe everyone does this?

Something you didn't mention but I've wondered about is a sweet spot for length. My poems often fall in two or three length ranges - 60-80 or 120-150 words, and very very rarely longer. In fact, I find it daunting to write epic-style poems. I often wonder at how others seem to do this so effortlessly. But I also confess that my attention span doesn't go for very long poems - that ADD thang kicks in and... what's that over there? pretty...

My Red Roses was 413. I just finished another one that was 488 words.

But I would consider 1,000 words epic.  Takes a lot of effort to hit that mark, especially when you take pride in efficient communication.

You have to find ways to propel the reader along.  ABAB quatrains from beginning to end is a recipe for readers bailing right out of an airplane without a parachute.

100 to 150 is what I usually strive for. That's long enough for song lyrics, choruses and a solo.  You can easily covertly insert musicality into a poem of that length and give it added dimensions that lesser poems would have to find other means to express.

PsycoticMastermind
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 209

Poe's The Raven is 1,140 words.

However, many words such as "raven" and "nevermore" are repeated so often I find myself flirting with the idea of flinging myself out of the crow's nest of Johnny's pirate ship.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

PsycoticMastermind said:Poe's The Raven is 1,140 words.

However, many words such as "raven" and "nevermore" are repeated so often I find myself flirting with the idea of flinging myself out of the crow's nest of Johnny's pirate ship.

An excellent example of musicality to the rescue and an epic poem that really isn't so epic once you factor in all the redundancy.

Grabbing the raven's beak
I said of my precious Lenore
Don't you no more speak!
tiring of this black bird
repeating its obnoxious greeting
weathered feathered turd
cawing, croaking, tweeting
the word nevermore
to the point of no return
couldn't take it anymore
to which I did turn
chased him throughout the room
swiftly swatting with a broom
hockey-pucking
slap-shotting
the little motherfucking magpie
right out the door

KyleL29
SilentShadeofGray
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 26th May 2016
Forum Posts: 13

The one thing that lured me to poetry was because it wasn't so structured or strict as traditional writing. High school, I had many English teachers (except two) give me so much shit on structure; rather than the actual content itself. The two that were the exception saw that I had potential as a writer. Not till college did I have a professor sit me down and help with structure.

In terms of settling in old ways I feel that is a pitfall of remaining at a plateau. To truly evolve your writing; the one suggestion I can give is never use the same words or phrases. I only use particular words or phrases once per piece. This type of restriction allows you to grow not as a writer but intellectually. By searching or reading up on different words you you expand your cognitive functioning . Lastly, reading up on old masters doesn't hurt either; they can help to inspire and re-format your writing to even greater heights..    

russiamagda
Twisted Dreamer
United States 4awards
Joined 20th Mar 2016
Forum Posts: 83

Yep
I use "alike," "when," "as though" pretty often.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I was in a theatre for an anti copyright convention and noticed a fire.

I yelled "FIRE"
A person heard me, paused,
Then yelled "CONFLAGERATION"

Another yelled ,"OXIDATION REACTION"

Another,by now, on fire yelled, "HELP"
Another,
"ASSISTANCE"
"GOOD SAMARITAN"
"PAY IT FORWARD"

UnderYourSpell
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 21st June 2016
Forum Posts: 50

I love my Form poetry (not all of it has to rhyme, many forms don't) and make full use of Rhymezone when I get stuck. I think the art of writing form is not to force in words or you end up with Yoda speak. Perhaps I should challenge you all to write a Sestina though I wonder if I'd have any takers! They don't have to be ponderous, I've written them with a couple of words per line. But that's one form where you have to use the same words, also with the Tritina and Paradelle.
As for the same Genre it all depends what state of mind I'm in ........ depressed you get angst about my childhood ........ upbeat you more than likely to get humorous .............. get my back up and you'll get sarcastic with no holds barred!

Ladyehawk
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 8th Aug 2016
Forum Posts: 5

I've written poetry for most of my life, although I've only written here and there over the last few years.   I'm getting back into it.   I now want to get into writing erotica, poems on Spirituality , the damage abuse does and how to heal it.  I usually write in free verse and I'm also exploring different ways of saying things and using line breaks for emphasis on important points.......

Whispers
Twisted Dreamer
Kenya 1awards
Joined 12th Aug 2016
Forum Posts: 47

Ill read all your erotica :-*

Whispers
Twisted Dreamer
Kenya 1awards
Joined 12th Aug 2016
Forum Posts: 47

Whispers said:Ill read all your erotica :-*

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

Magnetron said:Do you find yourself running to the same well too often in regards to form, rhymes, particular words, content and or genre?
No. Some of my poems rhyme, some are written in non-rhyming form. At the time I create the poem, the form, rhyming or non-rhyming, somehow seems to suggest itself. Unlike some contributors to DU, I do not sneer at traditional forms, but simply use what seems best for what I want to say. I particularly enjoy the sonnet form, which does of course require a control of rhyme and rhythm - that doesn't make it bad, for me it makes it interesting.

Page:
Go to: