Go to page:

Top Critters

OxyMoronicMe
G.L.
Dangerous Mind
Philippines 24awards
Joined 15th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 1470

Based on personal experience the poets who gave me (much appreciated) useful critiques are as follows

Jade
Trix
Lep
London Poet
Wally (dunno what happened but he seems to be gone from Dup)

I am a novice and I do love honest criticism. How else can one improve if we do not consider seeing our work from another vantage point, from another perspective?

poet Anonymous

MayRayn said:Much of the advantage of this type of site is getting real and thoughtful feedback. I've been here for too short a time to know - when people say they want honest criticism, do they really mean it?

I like that right under the area where you select comment preference, it says to select 'honest criticism' only if you can handle it. I wonder how many people actually give that consideration before selecting it. As far as I'm concerned, if I see that option selected, it's open season on that poem. Not that I've spent much time commenting or offering criticisms yet, but that's my feeling about it.

The only real way to find out if a particular person actually means they want honest criticism is to give it to them and see how they respond to it.

poet Anonymous

JohnnyBlaze said:Based on personal experience, if I had to offer up a poem to be ransackled and bespackled by others - it would be

todski69
trixareforkids
Lyricalli
Honeyadored
MayRayn

I was surprised to see my name on your list, since I'm still fairly hesitant to offer critiques and don't participate as often as I should. It's not a skill I'm confident with. Thank you, though; I'm glad you think I've had constructive things to say.

MayRayn
May Rayn
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 10th May 2016
Forum Posts: 113

@Artemios, Your comment made me curious - have you had bad experiences with honest criticism that was hurtful? I looked and noticed that at least on one poem you chose "friendly feedback". I'm still very new to this site and have not experienced any rude comments. And the suggestions I've gotten have all made me think, though I may not had chosen to take all of them.

poet Anonymous

OxyMoronicMe said:
I am a novice and I do love honest criticism. How else can one improve if we do not consider seeing our work from another vantage point, from another perspective?

I find it interesting to see what others see in a poem, whether it's mine or someone else's, especially if it shows me something I didn't see on my own. Whether I agree with the viewpoint or not, constructive criticism and feedback is a good learning experience.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Lyricalli said:I was surprised to see my name on your list, since I'm still fairly hesitant to offer critiques and don't participate as often as I should. It's not a skill I'm confident with. Thank you, though; I'm glad you think I've had constructive things to say.

I've gotten more help from you on a few poems than I've received from entire sites with huge memberships over a 6 month period.

Artemios
Thought Provoker
Greece 12awards
Joined 11th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 393

MayRayn said:@Artemios, Your comment made me curious - have you had bad experiences with honest criticism that was hurtful? I looked and noticed that at least on one poem you chose "friendly feedback". I'm still very new to this site and have not experienced any rude comments. And the suggestions I've gotten have all made me think, though I may not had chosen to take all of them.

Oh, MayRayn..! I never had a "hurtful" experience. Sorry if I ve been misunderstood. I am very happy with all the comments i have received and the replies of all the comments I have made.
The only thing that brought me to this thought, is that there are people who will not reply to you when you comment their work on their profile or in competitions. Thank god, there are only a few, but I commented it for this conversation.
I am very happy till now and of course I'm open to accept any feedback on my work.
Welcome to DU!

PsycoticMastermind
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 209

I changed the name of this thread so no one would mistake it for other threads by the Mistress of the Deep Underground. Like this one.  http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/8481/  

Plus it is fun to imagine everyone here as skunks, raccoons and groundhogs.

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

PsycoticMastermind said:I changed the name of this thread so no one would mistake it for other threads by the Mistress of the Deep Underground. Like this one.  http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/8481/  

Plus it is fun to imagine everyone here as skunks, raccoons and groundhogs.

I wanna be a sloth! They're super huggy, camouflaged ecosystems!  

PsycoticMastermind
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 209

todski28 recently pointed out a few minor aspects of my recent 600 word submission that could benefit from some tweaking.

After almost a HUNDRED words later on the cutting room floor, I have an even better poem.

poet Anonymous

poet Anonymous

Hemihead
Leprechaun
Jestathalessa

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

pheonix02 said:Hemihead
Leprechaun
Jestathalessa

I'll fight you for saying that.

(used to critique, was mad for it...got bored with all the "you don't understand my genius" shit...got lazy, got busy, got drunk...now critique on request, and when the job isn't twisting my nuts...)

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

0n that note. if you'd like to tap into Hemi's knowledge but aren't very optimistic that he'll  sober up,  clock off or run out of whore-money any time soon, you can click into his profile, click on 'comments'  and you'll be treated to all critiques posted

"what good are they if they're not aimed at MY poetry ? "  I hear you ask, and its a very good question

I dunno who the top critters are. haven't gotten one of those ribbons in some years. I don't think that particular system works very well

anyhow,  I'll take this opportunity to pay homage to those who gave me their time and shared their shit with me when I joined:

Jack Heslop ( aka Silly Syble)
Violet, Poppy Banks, Hemi, Pierre the Mad, Jesta,  Miss Sub, Mr A, Revolution Al,  ...actually the list is endless

and here's why its endless:

atmosphere and appetite...

can't say I've witnessed both together in a while.

anyhow..

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

lepperochan said:0n that note. if you'd like to tap into Hemi's knowledge but aren't very optimistic that he'll  sober up,  clock off or run out of whore-money any time soon, you can click into his profile, click on 'comments'  and you'll be treated to all critiques posted

"what good are they if they're not aimed at MY poetry ? "  I hear you ask, and its a very good question

I dunno who the top critters are. haven't gotten one of those ribbons in some years. I don't think that particular system works very well

anyhow,  I'll take this opportunity to pay homage to those who gave me their time and shared their shit with me when I joined:

Jack Heslop ( aka Silly Syble)
Violet, Poppy Banks, Hemi, Pierre the Mad, Jesta,  Miss Sub, Mr A, Revolution Al,  ...actually the list is endless

and here's why its endless:

atmosphere and appetite...

can't say I've witnessed both together in a while.

anyhow..

I think I'm mostly crap as a critic, but I'm curious what other people think makes a good critic.

Go to page:
Go to: