Go to page:

ComMonsters

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

Ok, get out your pitchforks and torches because you're either going to like this or hate it. If you like it, you'll want to join me in hunting down and weeding out the commonsters or you'll be coming after me...
Ok, but let me first say this is somewhat tongue in cheek. I don't really want to get rid of anyone and I'm not namin' names, it's just a bit annoying when I get comments like "wow, great poem", or "you're really good". Stuff like that, short, empty comments that make me wonder of they even read the poem. I was thinking of posting a suggestion for a "nuke it" button to just blast away comments we don't like, but then people would abuse it and misuse it against honest and useful critique if it isn't wonderful praise or is by someone they happen to be angry at.

I just get the feeling that some people spend a lot of time trying to get on the top of the critiquers list, especially at the end of the month so they can get a trophy.
yes, I know I stirring up a hornets nest, but I'm sure you can all be clever wordsmiths and discuss this without resorting to name calling like commonsters and such...

JJ

Does anyone else notice this or am I just paranoid?

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

I did not know there was a trophy involved....sometimes I write wow! nice poem...but i usually follow it up further...I don't care about it because the people I care about their critique write more.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

I think, sometimes members do what members see, so if the comments section (where you click to see all latest comments)  full of back slapping tounge 'tween cheeks stuff then members, especially newer members will follow suit

but seriously,  as I understand it a couple of words of a comment doesn't count towards a trophy. webmiss has always been vauge about what criteria is needed,  so comments can't be played ( for want of a better word )

but apart from anything else, a poet's page is there for the poet to guide or direct:

for instance, I've seen poets reply to the comments you refer to thusly :

commenter "wow, I fuckin' loved this!!!"

poet "great.. what did you love about it?"

..commenter either responds or not. but it sets a precedent for future comments on that particular poem

either way, I don't disagree with you. some of the comments being posted are cringeworthy.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

SatansSperm said:I did not know there was a trophy involved....sometimes I write wow! nice poem...but i usually follow it up further...I don't care about it because the people I care about their critique write more.

It's not a trophy for having submitted a poem that you yourself wrote in a competition based on a particular theme.  I'm not sure how I feel about people competing for how often they leave comments each month.  I've seen comments left everywhere that read as the disingenuous kind.

KDAmB
Tyrant of Words
Australia 13awards
Joined 5th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 6358

It's people's opinion

It's neither right
nor wrong!
No matter short
or long!

It's people's opinion
on people's work
some may see a dance
some may see a jerk!

Master-pieces slip through the cracks
whilst many busy slapping each other's backs!
many a young artists are left gob-smacked
even after begging for any feedbacks!

At the end of the day
there's no one-single-way
people will keep saying
what they have to say!

©-KDAmB-2016

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

KDAmB said:It's people's opinion

It's neither right
nor wrong!
No matter short
or long!

It's people's opinion
on people's work
some may see a dance
some may see a jerk!

Master-pieces slip through the cracks
whilst many busy slapping each other's backs!
many a young artists are left gob-smacked
even after begging for any feedbacks!

At the end of the day
there's no one-single-way
people will keep saying
what they have to say!

©-KDAmB-2016

fuckin' great poem!!!!!!!!!

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

A lot of people are hesitant to leave real criticism for fear of being on the receiving end of a tantrum, even though the poem is tagged as desirous of critique.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

I think it is best to send actual critique in a PM so as not to make the poet feel as though you have publicly humiliated them. I see some make comments about typos and spelling errors that remind me of being a young boy in Catholic school getting my ass paddled by the broomless witches called Nuns who seemed to take great pleasure in making 6 year olds cry in front of the entire class for spelling love, luv.
Sometimes a more gentle approach is required...

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
KDAmB
Tyrant of Words
Australia 13awards
Joined 5th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 6358

lepperochan said:

fuckin' great poem!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Craic!

Agree with You JJ, was about to say the same except without your childhood experience...on occasions I have sent PM's where I felt that would be the most polite way to help a comrade.. my 36 years of experiencce in life has made sure I always remember that poets, by nature are very sensitive. However, It doesn't stop me form alerting a fellow member about any (my percieved) corrections etc.,in the politetst possible way..so I approach by PM.

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Poetryman said:I think it is best to send actual critique in a PM so as not to make the poet feel as though you have publicly humiliated them. I see some make comments about typos and spelling errors that remind me of being a young boy in Catholic school getting my ass paddled by the broomless witches called Nuns who seemed to take great pleasure in making 6 year olds cry in front of the entire class for spelling love, luv.
Sometimes a more gentle approach is required...

Sharing actual critique with the public can benefit all who read.

And pointing out typos spares the poet the humiliation of more people reading the poem as it wasn't intended.

Either can be done without being a dick about it.

If the poet is going to be a dick about it in retaliation is another story.

Moral of the story is, don't mark that you want critique if you can't handle it.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

wait ..why would people get embarresed over a spelling mistake. it's just a   spelling mistake for God's sake. couple of seconds would see it right. sometimes while under the influence of a poem, especially in the first few minutes of typing it, a mistake is hard to spot. even more so for the longer ones. I'm more than glad to get the heads up, apart from the obvious reason, it means someone was paying attention

Maybe there could be a "please pm critique" option. or people who'd prefer could add the words to the bottom of their poem and use the "prefer no comments" option so no comments are posted under the poem

let's not sanitize honest critique. polite yes, constructive etc. what's the point in merging friendly feedback with honest critique. just pick whichever you'd prefer

MaryWalker
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 225

Last critique I volunteered earned me a tongue lashing ( and not the good kind mind you ) from another commentator who assumed too much in my comments and felt she had to defend the writer ( whom I've actually known for a couple of years now on another board ).

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

I think it would be nice if we could have comment preference, similar to how there already is: friendly, critique or closed, but a setting on somewhere like the profile to display the person's comment preference. By that I mean whether they want any comments, crafted comments, or have a thick enough skin for reconstructive comments (ones which say that poem is shit forcing you to rewrite it or learn from them if possible).

Having said that for now you will have to do with asking/demanding for worthwhile comments on your profile and giving a withering stare to comments which do not match your standards. Though a way to eliminate banal and copy-paste comments from winning the critique trophy must be worked on, will need some time to think on this.
Generally the comments are acceptable, there are times however when a person's comment outclasses the poem though those are rare!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

All I know is that I'm never going to achieve a smiley face next to my avatar if I keep logging into 5 different accounts to critique poems.

Go to page:
Go to: