Go to page:

Religion or No ?

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

are not compassion & empathy two of the many attributes of love?

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

They may be attributes of love but they exist separately from love.  I can empathize with and have compassion for people whom I have no feelings of love.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

For all the bad that religions do: mentally, physically  etc. they do inject diversity into the world.

everything which religious doctrines contain are written by human beings. every kind of torture which occurs. every rape, murder, kidnap, drive by, are commited by human beings

the way the world is today is indicative of human nature. religeon is a driving force for good and bad. it seems apparent through history that we need something to  adore, to worship

If not religeon then someone on earth. for me, the question would be  what happens when people turn away from religeon and start worshiping someone that's alive and well

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015

? what like celebrities...lolololol

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

yeah, sure look at how people were affected when Jhon Lennon caught a bullet with his head  ...or Lady Dianna ( must admit a feeling of sadness when the good princess was ...swept aside)

but yes, celebrities are concrete evidence of how we worship people

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015

yes but i do not believe there would ever be The John Lennon Wars....or even {star wars}...& no one is going to invade another country to get the newest Woody Allen movie.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

true,  but in the absense of a point of worship, those people who folk flock to in their tens of thousands would totally have the option of playing ğod.  ...look at Bono for fuck sake, has been playing Jesus for twenty years.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

lepperochan said:yeah, sure look at how people were affected when Jhon Lennon caught a bullet with his head  ...or Lady Dianna ( must admit a feeling of sadness when the good princess was ...swept aside)

but yes, celebrities are concrete evidence of how we worship people

Yeah, celebrities....
Iconodulism (icon veneration) in the modern age; now instead of religious icons wrought out of gold and featuring saints, there are selfies of celebrities. Though bear in mind that in each case there are some who you can respect for their veneration and who have earned it.
While others are debatably worthy and seemed to be caught up in hype, where if you naysay them you can then be shunned by the cool kids and abused. Just like religious fanatics, except throwing money at their icons and hoarding mementos, rather than throwing projectiles at enemies and hoarding relics.

(Still somewhat worshipping a human, rather than humanity. And arguably a step backwards: revering this person for a thing they did recently just for being them, and then forgetting about it next year and starting the process all over again.)

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Many succumb to religion because of fear (as in when they die).  It's a tool for mass brainwashing and other barbaric acts.  To each their own nonetheless.  I still see no justification for it.  A belief should be a solitary internal thing, that is where the spiritual connection is, not in a place that tells you to watch your every move or your every move is being watched and you will be punished if you step out of line... Fuck that.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

Magdalena said:Many succumb to religion because of fear (as in when they die).  It's a tool for mass brainwashing and other barbaric acts.  To each their own nonetheless.  I still see no justification for it.  A belief should be a solitary internal thing, that is where the spiritual connection is, not in a place that tells you to watch your every move or your every move is being watched and you will be punished if you step out of line... Fuck that.

It would really be interesting to see what the world would be like if religion had never quite got so organised and streamlined. All those fancy and bewildering factions, still part of the same religions, but with more variation.
Faith and Despair are things that seem best done alone, they do not convey well.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

More faith
Less religion
More Publicans
And less Republicans

OxyMoronicMe
G.L.
Dangerous Mind
Philippines 24awards
Joined 15th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 1470

My father said, religion is the most organized syndicate of all time. Lol. I tend to believe him.

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

Religion is an aspect of the human condition. There always have been and always will be people who seek solutions in irrationality, or what they would call 'the divine'. There's no point saying, 'If there was no religion....' The plain fact is that for most people, unvarnished, human life is simply not enough - it's not dramatic enough, it's not exciting enough, it doesn't answer the question, 'Why am I here?' Religion provides, for many, a reason for their existence, a solace for their tragedies and disappointments, and for certain people, such as the psychopaths of ISIS, a justification for heir pathological inclination to murder, torture, rape and bomb innocent people. Your religion doesn't have to involve worshipping a god, or gods. It may take the form of a political philosophy, such as the Bolsheviks' adoption of Communism, which started off as an ennoblement of 'the worker' and resulted in such obscenities as the deaths of upwards of 50 million people as a direct result of Stalin's policies. So there's just no point in asking, 'Would we be better off without religion?' We never will be without it in one form or another - it's part of who we are.

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2255

The intelligence  
of the tenants
that hold religon
as truth
will bare witness
to the twisted
though the eyes
of the youth

HaiItsMo
Mo
Twisted Dreamer
United States 2awards
Joined 3rd May 2016
Forum Posts: 33

I'm not exactly sure if I know enough to say that without religion, the world would continue to go 'round. I think that there should be religion but people today venture outside of the beliefs of their specific religion to condemn those who are not like them. I grew up in a Southern Christian family, we went to church on Fridays and Sundays, though I do not necessarily agree with everything they teach in church but I have learned to respect it because there are people who devote their lives to religion and simply cannot live without it. Religious principles vary between different religions but I think that everyone should have a basic knowledge that you should respect those who don't believe what you do. I feel like a lot of people are not  truly themselves because they are fearful of condemnation. I feel like a lot of hurt has been caused by people who say they are religious but continue to, for lack of a better term, bash people who aren't like them.

So, yes, I think there should be religion but only if you are sincere in your believe.

Go to page:
Go to: