Go to page:

Religion or No ?

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

do you think if there was no religion maybe we would be better off...no dying & going anywere so make the best of this place

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

I'm very spiritual but not into religion.  So I believe religion is a bane, creating more death & misery.

russiamagda
Twisted Dreamer
United States 4awards
Joined 20th Mar 2016
Forum Posts: 83

I think that if you have a belief, it can be a good thing, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and it's just a mindset of how the world works, why we're here, and so on. People still already make the most of they can in life.

HarleyQinn_2
DarkSnake1010
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 26th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 218

I don't know

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015

Jade-Pandora said:I'm very spiritual but not into religion.  So I believe religion is a bane, creating more death & misery.

that is my opinion also....too many bad things are done in the name of religion

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I think just as we are born with the capacity to get mad, or the ability to fall head over heels in luv, we also have the built in wiring to pray
Just clap your hands together and do it
Don't even have to have gone to church.

So I walked in to this old catholic church that has this 10:00 PM mass and it's just candles
For lighting so nobody can see each other
and I put my hands together and ask for help

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

If religion just vanished tomorrow then humanity would not be better off: all those people who suddenly lose their sense of direction and purpose.
Yet if religion disappeared slowly in the future, to be replaced by nothing to fill that gap, then humanity would be worse off then. On one hand there would be once again the directionless and lost, and on the other hand things like science and literature would take a massive hit: nothing to constructively criticise and love to hate - no joker to highlight the seriousness of batman.

As for no heaven or afterlife or nirvana, well, without a place to go you can either get nasty nihilism or just as empty that confounded YOLO. One finds no meaning in anything like a bitter disenchanted pensioner, the other exists with no meaning as a perpetual spoilt child.

What would be really handy in this day and age is a sense of spirituality and humanitarian duty while working within the framework of a factual and proven world. - Believing in majesty of being that is found in all things, respecting nature, while knowing more about the world and space and how to make energy greener.

uniqueshaky
Thought Provoker
Wales 2awards
Joined 24th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 196

My opinion on reglion is as simple as:

-If you want it, great.
-If you don't, great (I include myself in this category).
-Even if you're unsure if you want religion in your life, great.

Just don't force your views on other people.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

Taking away religion would not change people's basic natures, those that want to conquer and kill would find other reasons to do so and people to follow them.  There are large numbers of people who find great comfort in religion and it's rituals which would be difficult to replace.  I'm agnostic myself, my personal thoughts and feelings about religion are all pretty negative, but I respect many people who hold religion close to their hearts and who's thoughts are guided by their beliefs.
I think religion is no different than political beliefs or fandom of any kind, polarize people enough and they'll do and say incredibly stupid things on behalf of their beliefs.

And to the Larry David quote above, you could replace "Religion" with almost anything and what follows would still apply.  We are not logic based creatures we are hormone and emotion based creatures that occasionally use logic to further our hormonal and emotional wants/needs.

anonymouslyhere
Pariah Shadow
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 31st Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 1633

If you're religious, good for you.
If you're an atheist, good for you
If you're agnostic, good for you

I am not religious, I find it to be full of hypocrites who make all believers look like self righteous idiots who ignore facts. that being said not all religious people are that way, not by a long shot, but a good majority are.
I believe in God, I believe in the bible, for me it is a lifeline. But  I respect opposing views, I don't think it matters much. I have had outspoken atheist friends, Christian friends. I think people should be judged by action and character alone, judging them by anything else is unfair I think. I think were all guilty of pre-judging people by looks, beliefs, ect. It is our loss when we judge someone and miss out on someone we would have gotten along well with, but its our fault for judging them unfairly. That's my two cents worth.

dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
29awards
Joined 17th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 2879

Ok let's imagine there was no Bible no Quran , or no Jesus, Krishna, Allah or Buddha. No teachings about right and wrong. How do you know stealing is wrong, or killing is wrong. As for the nature its the survival of the fittest.

Ok my point is Religions should exist. The problem is people are ignorant for other religious teachings but their own. Whatever your religious belief learn about others too, learn to respect.

I grew up as a Christian child, I went to a Buddhist primary school, my home town community was Hindu where I went on school holidays, then from my 6th grade I was in a Catholic school. I grew up exposed to these religions and I used to go to Buddhist classes and Catholic classes in school. And Hindu, Buddhist temples. Each place will give you different feeling , the temples , churches.  What I learned is the basics are the same, in Buddhism there are beautiful stories about Buddha's past lives, which I enjoyed reading. Same like the stories from the bible. These stories may be true or lies I never know but they teach the kids some senses. You grow up learning the good and the bad. In think that was the idea.

And one more thing if you are religious extremist you are a racist to other religions by default. Because the some teachings and way of life are racist against each other. For an example;
The statues are a big part in Buddhist and Hindus where Christianity says don't worship man made statues.
This could bring an argument and there won't be a winner.

And in some current situation its not the relgious beliefs, it's just about the power. And light the spark on religion, let the fire begin.

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015

It sounds as if people believe that without religion there would be no moral compass....I believe spirituality is like emotions.... you are born with a sense of it....my point would be that without the organised dogma ( let us not forget history & the atrocities done in the name of religion...even now ) we just might have a safer & more loving world....it is love after all that is the main point behind all religions & I think that would still exist without religion.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

👏👏👏

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

I don't think love is the point behind religion, at it's best it's about compassion and empathy.  All religions essentially boil down to the Golden Rule, which most of us naturally ascribe to with no religious teaching at all, it's born of our inherent desire for fairness, something which by the way does not actually exist outside of society and barely exists within it.  

We don't need to love everyone to have peace, we need to have empathy for everyone.  We are more alike than we are different, if you empathize with someone, you see them less as "other".  That, and that alone, is what brings us together and keeps us from intentionally harming one another.  Differences are not negative things but the more we focus on differences, the easier it is to think of someone as other, then as less than, then as nothing of value, then as a nuisance or even a petulance that must be eradicated.  When thoughts turn to us/them empathy has been lost and atrocities, large and small, become not only possible but common place.

Go to page:
Go to: