Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 926

I don't really understand how it applies to this site

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

I think it means to make poetry more appealing to a certain demographic.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Maybe it's referring to a higher level of alcohol?

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Umm said:I think it means to make poetry more appealing to a demographic of people who consider it to be soft.

That would make me sad. Poetry is neither soft nor hard because poetry is a shapeshifter. Feeling the need to sell it as hard just gives power to a misguided notion.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

SatInUGal said:

That would make me sad. Poetry is neither soft nor hard because poetry is a shapeshifter. Feeling the need to sell it as hard just gives power to a misguided notion.

It is not about 'selling it', it is about catering to it. DU is the harder side of poetry in that the idea is to have poetry which is more provoking, thoughtful, deeper, offensive, an controversial, than the average style of poetry than can be found in a birthday card. - It is letting something have its place and advertising that, yet not in a commercial way, simply in a flag waving way.

Having said that there are types of poetry which can be too provoking to be social, too thoughtful and self-absorbed, too deep as to be gibberish, too offensive to be allowed, and too controversial to be relevant. So it is a case of 'harder' but not that hard!

I have always seen it as Deep Underground - for deeper poetry, rather than harder poetry. But that is just my choice of illusion.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

I think we're on the same page then

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Yes. Thank god. Or Satan. Or goddess. Or nachos.

dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

I always thought that the
harder side of poetry
was making it interesting...

I've always found it
harder
than I thought (heavy sigh...)

Robert151Joseph
Stowik
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 6th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 7

Possibly a pun to reference the dominating presence of erotic poems that seem to enthrall this community.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Robert, do you not like that? There are certainly a lot of non-erotic love poems and dark poems here too.

Anarchitect
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 21st Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 105

What does "harder side of poetry" mean?

Bend over and I'll show you.

poet Anonymous

Am I the only one that interprets "the harder side of poetry" as being words that showcase that which the author sees as being outside the boundaries of all that is good in life?  The harder side of poetry is when the author mixes their most difficult emotions, at their rawest level, with their words.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: