Go to page:

PsYchadelia

slayer69
Thought Provoker
Australia
Joined 26th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 107

I'm not sure how many of you will be interested in this, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on this contentious subject.
I personally have a insatiable appetite for the consumption of and consumption of knowledge surrounding psychedelics issues and believe that they can be a great vehicle for enlightened states of consciousness. I also understand and fully appreciate that this is not the experience for allot of people. What are your experiences or thoughts of these so called drugs? I feel they allow me to see the essence and fabrics of reality and have helped me enormously with intelligence, focus and elimination of fear.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

I've been a lab tech for almost 30 years, and I've run toxicology testing on countless people. Nothing good comes from use of hardcore drugs, except for redeeming one's life by getting off the drugs. They're addictive, they're illegal, they're nothing but a crutch to sugar coat life instead of dealing with the underlying issues causing one to take drugs on the first place and they give a false sense of reality and everything else.
It's also reached epidemic proportions and our emergency rooms are constantly packed with junkies, that eat up time, money and resources that could be spent on other healthcare issues that aren't self induced.
Sorry if I'm too blunt and harsh, but that's the reality of psych drugs.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 926

Madame Lavender, I agree that some drugs are both addictive and destructive, but I think it's dangerous to paint them all with such a broad stroke. There is a lot of research showing that MDMA (pure ecstacy) is very useful for PTSD. Similar studies have been done with psilocybin (mushrooms). And there are a huge number of studies describing the therapeutic benefits of the THC and CBD found in marijuana. I have anxiety-based insomnia. I tried all the over-the-counter and natural remedies, and eventually was able to use a combination of St. John's Wort and Ambien. Then the SJW stopped working and the Ambien went dark on me (nightmare-filled semi-sleep). At that point I started taking Trazodone, which worked but left me super groggy and out of it in the mornings. I was able to taper off Trazodone using a CBD spray derived from marijuana. It has only trace amounts of THC, so it does not get me high, which is important, because if I try to go to sleep high I cannot. With the CBD, I hardly ever need Trazodone at all. My Trazodone dose was 100 mg. My CBD dose is 15 mg. Trazodone has side effects, and the CBD has none. I credit CBD with in many ways saving my quality of life.

slayer69
Thought Provoker
Australia
Joined 26th Jan 2012

Thank you for the comment.

slayer69
Thought Provoker
Australia
Joined 26th Jan 2012

MadameLavender said:I've been a lab tech for almost 30 years, and I've run toxicology testing on countless people. Nothing good comes from use of hardcore drugs, except for redeeming one's life by getting off the drugs. They're addictive, they're illegal, they're nothing but a crutch to sugar coat life instead of dealing with the underlying issues causing one to take drugs on the first place and they give a false sense of reality and everything else.
It's also reached epidemic proportions and our emergency rooms are constantly packed with junkies, that eat up time, money and resources that could be spent on other healthcare issues that aren't self induced.

Thank you for the comment. I will not try to persuade your opinion, however if you maybe read some of the positive outcomes people have had and gain a alternate perspective. with the use of psilocybin (overcoming depression) DMT (Overcoming fears of death and countless stories of unimaginable bliss) Ayahuasca (life changing insights into the nature of reality and how you view the world) ibogaine (overcoming drug addictions) I do understand where you are coming from in regards to people abusing these drugs though and I think an environment supporting the experience is essential.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

As far as the the drugs that I assume the poster was describing, I have experience with acid, as did Steve Jobs, who believed it to be an important part of his development. I believe that mushrooms helped open my ability to understand/live with paradox, mystery, and the concept of infinity. Taking them is equal parts scary and enlightening for me, and I rarely ever do it, but they can certainly be used shamanically. I think it's best to take these types of drugs with experienced sitters, ideally in nature. I also have taken MDMA twice, and while I am weary of using it very often, I can say that my experience fully supports the science that shows it being helpful for people who are struggling with mental anguish. The "hardest" drug I ever did by far was salvia divinorum, which is perfectly legal here in California. It was a very intense "peek at the other side" and it only lasted around 10 minutes. Under proper supervision, I think it can be a very useful experience.

Kou_Indigo
Karam L. Parveen-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2794

MadameLavender said:I've been a lab tech for almost 30 years, and I've run toxicology testing on countless people. Nothing good comes from use of hardcore drugs, except for redeeming one's life by getting off the drugs. They're addictive, they're illegal, they're nothing but a crutch to sugar coat life instead of dealing with the underlying issues causing one to take drugs on the first place and they give a false sense of reality and everything else.

Perfectly stated, Madame, and my thoughts exactly on this subject. I am proud and happy to say that never in my life have I taken any kinds of drugs. Nor have I drank, smoked or even so much as had a coffee. I have always thought as you do, that they do not open people up to reality but rather they close people off from reality in terrible ways that more oft than not lead to madness, death, or worse. I have sadly known some people from my generation who actually desired death and did not care, but they failed to realize that with such drugs you do not always die. You can end up far, far worse than dead and scarred mentally for life besides! A horrible thing, truly, and not something desirable in the least for any truly enlightened soul or intelligent person. I actually had to end a friendship with someone years ago because they would not quit taking drugs of precisely the psychedelic sort. I told her, I will always cherish the friendship we had, but I could not watch her destroy herself any longer. And that was how we parted, with me saying that to her, and her understanding and silently realizing... sadly... that I was right. By all accounts she never did clean up her act either. It takes a LOT of willpower to quit drugs, but even more I think to stand up and do the right thing by never doing them at all in the first place. Back when I was in high school, I was probably one of only very few students in my entire school who was totally clean. Naturally I was surrounded by peer pressure, but I never once gave into it. The way I saw it, a real friend would put your safety first and not want you to take drugs... so people who gave in to peer pressure in that school just for the sake of so-called "friends" were totally missing the point of true friendship and in fact proving how false such friendships as they had were by doing as they did. Me, I was more a loner back then, but at least I came out of those years healthy, sane (at least in that way) and with my mind fully intact. And the friends i had were at least real ones who actually respected me and themselves. Taking drugs is always an act of self-destruction, and is not ever respectful to oneself or to human life. That is my belief anyway, both religiously / spiritually and mundanely.

slayer69
Thought Provoker
Australia
Joined 26th Jan 2012

[quote-328690-Kou_Indigo]

Perfectly stated, Madame, and my thoughts exactly on this subject. I am proud and happy to say that never in my life have I taken any kinds of drugs. Nor have I drank, smoked or even so much as had a coffee. I have always thought as you do, that they do not open people up to reality but rather they close people off from reality in terrible ways that more oft than not lead to madness, death, or worse.

Thank you for your comment, I obviously disagree with almost everything you have stated though. The psychedelics I speak of, exist already in nature. DMT actually exists within our own brains and is naturally synthesised by processes within the brain.  
Life is experience and although I welcome your comment, I don't think you have the experience to be able to have a well informed opinion. I mean absolutely no disrespect by this statement.

slayer69
Thought Provoker
Australia
Joined 26th Jan 2012

SatInUGal said:As far as the the drugs that I assume the poster was describing, I have experience with acid, as did Steve Jobs, who believed it to be an important part of his development. I believe that mushrooms helped open my ability to understand/live with paradox, mystery, and the concept of infinity. Taking them is equal parts scary and enlightening for me, and I rarely ever do it, but they can certainly be used shamanically. I think it's best to take these types of drugs with experienced sitters, ideally in nature. I also have taken MDMA twice, and while I am weary of using it very often, I can say that my experience fully supports the science that shows it being helpful for people who are struggling with mental anguish. The "hardest" drug I ever did by far was salvia divinorum, which is perfectly legal here in California. It was a very intense "peek at the other side" and it only lasted around 10 minutes. Under proper supervision, I think it can be a very useful experience.

Thanks for the comment. I have had all of the above except for salvia. I may have actually bought into the witch hunt that demonised that one for me. Probably because even acid users told me to stay away from it.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

slayer69 said:

Thanks for the comment. I have had all of the above except for salvia. I may have actually bought into the witch hunt that demonised that one for me. Probably because even acid users told me to stay away from it.

If you've done DMT and/or Ayahuasca, it's supposedly very similar.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Kou_Indigo said:

And that was how we parted, with me saying that to her, and her understanding and silently realizing... sadly... that I was right.

This comes across to me as a very arrogant projection. Did she tell you that you were right?

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Kou_Indigo said:

I am proud and happy to say that never in my life have I taken any kinds of drugs. Nor have I drank, smoked or even so much as had a coffee.

Brain chemistry is not bounded by legal definitions and linguistics. You essentially take drugs every day, when you eat sugar or wheat, when you breathe in perfume, etc

Kou_Indigo, what do you think of my experience with CBD spray that I mentioned earlier in this thread?

slayer69
Thought Provoker
Australia
Joined 26th Jan 2012

SatInUGal said:

If you've done DMT and/or Ayahuasca, it's supposedly very similar.

Yes to both. I participated in an ayahuasca ceremony 3 times in the amazon. I highly recommend it's ability to cleanse and purify your body and mind. Just don't mix it with pharmaceutical medicine.
DMT is a much more intense than Ayahuasca and not as spiritual from my perspective.
I will give salvia a go if it crosses my path as long as I am in the right environment.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

slayer, make sure you have an experienced sitter who is not using it. Someone you are super comfortable with who can "catch the pipe" for you if needed. Salvia is fairly instantaneous in its effect if a high concentration is used, and it may cause you to drop whatever you are holding. I used something really high like 60X or something. I started speaking semi-gibberish (I talked about needing "trajectory insurance") and in my mind, melding with the couch and then the carpet. I also experienced a rolling effect, a cartoonish plasticizing of reality, while at the same time viewing reality through a rolling tunnel of sorts. This all came in waves for somewhere around 10 minutes. The timeless spaceless effect that accompanies many psychedelics was of course there. Be prepared to experience both elation and terror. At the end, I felt like I had experienced a bigtime ego death and been reset. That was a good thing, but not something I want too often.

"You become what is
around you; that is the gift
of divining sage"

Someday I may try it while leaning up against a redwood

Re: ayahuasca, I am a little scared of the sickness element and the time element, but I feel it is an experience that awaits me someday. DMT I'm not as sure about.

slayer69
Thought Provoker
Australia
Joined 26th Jan 2012

SatInUGal said:slayer, make sure you have an experienced sitter who is not using it. Someone you are super comfortable with who can "catch the pipe" for you if needed. Salvia is fairly instantaneous in its effect if a high concentration is used, and it may cause you to drop whatever you are holding. I used something really high like 60X or something. I started speaking semi-gibberish (I talked about needing "trajectory insurance") and in my mind, melding with the couch and then the carpet. I also experienced a rolling effect, a cartoonish plasticizing of reality, while at the same time viewing reality through a rolling tunnel of sorts. This all came in waves for somewhere around 10 minutes. The timeless spaceless effect that accompanies many psychedelics was of course there. Be prepared to experience both elation and terror. At the end, I felt like I had experienced a bigtime ego death and been reset. That was a good thing, but not something I want too often.

"You become what is
around you; that is the gift
of divining sage"

Someday I may try it while leaning up against a redwood

Thanks for the advice. I usually go through a calculated process and do copious amounts of research before trying something new. I'm a nerdy addict..

Go to page:
Go to: